hey guys i just picked up a book on learning bass guitar,and almost in every lesson where i have to lets say play with my fretting hand first and the third fret the fingering for thiss lesson is that i use my first finger and my pinky for the third fret...
so i guess i'm asking you how frequently is the pinky used for playing bass guitar ?
it seems a bit awkward to play with my pinky whole the time and my fretting hands hurts after playing about and hour or two like this
thx in advance
cheers
You need to use it. You'll get used to it.

Of course, you can play your own style, but in general you don't just stick to 3 fingers.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Well, the use of the pinky is essential if you wanna play really well. It depends what you're playing though. Some bassists just use one finger and move their whole hand all the time. That's not advised though. I use my pinky loads. And get used to using your 3rd as a bar and your pinky behind it.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

well since basses are rather large, and i have rather small hands, the pinky is a must. But you should get used to it any way
hey thx for the answers but thats not quite what i was wondering
lets say this random riff,the fingerings are whats bugging me cuz something you would play with your 3rd finger is written that you should play with your pinky

G ----------------------------------------------
D ---------------------------------------------
A --------------7--9--7--9--7--9------------
E -5--7--5--7-------------------------------

nevermind the frets its random,and in this book the fingering would be :

5th fret 1st finger
7th fret pinky
thats on the e string and for the a string the same : 7th fret 1st finger,9th fret pinky
i just dont feel its natural to play like this
Or you could slide.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
well its whitout a slide,im asking you when i play something like this should i play it preferably with my 3rd or my pinky finger
Quote by syn7
well its whitout a slide,im asking you when i play something like this should i play it preferably with my 3rd or my pinky finger

Play it with whatever finger is most comfortable,
I say.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
when i think about it lordofthe food you're answer is totaly alright
thanks dude
I'm guessing the book is just trying to get you to build up strength with the little finger, sounds right to me anyway. Wish I did more of these exercises when I first started 'cause my pinky sucks well... Its getting better I hope.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
What you are describing is a 3 fret spread. In that, your little finger may not seem necessary. I meet a lot of music that requires you to be playing 4 or 5 different frets in the same position. You need that stretch from 4 fingers. It may seem weak now, but eventually it will get to a level where you don't find it a hindrance at all.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
As someone above said, it's probably just to build up pinky strength. You should learn to use your pinky, but when you're actually playing, and not just practicing, just use whatever finger works for you, but if you learn to use your pinky, it won't seem as tough as it does now.
Quote by syn7
when i think about it lordofthe food you're answer is totaly alright
thanks dude

Actually, it isn't totally right.

Reason?

You can develop nasty habits, some maybe unhealthy
when I mean "comfortable" (and I assume most people)
it also means that it doesn't inhibit anything dealing with the instrument

but if you don't plan on being virtuoso or something
it should be fine if it doesn't hurt and allows you to do what you need to do
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
The book you have isn't Hal Leonards bass method by chance?

Here's the deal. The method you are learning is Simandl, which is used by upright players and was developed by Franz Simandl. Wiki him if you want more info.

The other method is one finger per fret, in which case you would use your third finger on the third fret.

Both methods will build pinkie strength but as an electric player, you really should use one finger per fret, no matter what size your hands are. In the long run, its going to be much more efficient and build better stretch, accuracy and speed.
thank you very much for your answers everyone
and i think that i will from now one use one finger per fret because it makes more sense than not using my third finger lol
cheers