Okay, so, I started "playing" guitar about a month ago or whatever, my playing defined as printing easy tabs and trying to figure them out. I have no idea where to start out, like should I learn chords first? Or something else? By myself, I've learned "Discovering the Waterfront" by Silverstein and "Dirty and Left Out" by the Almost, both relativley easy. I can play both alright, good for a beginner I would think, but I have tons of trouble with the power chords in "Discovering the Waterfront".

Also, are guitar lessons worth it? I've heard they are, but also that they aren't, because in lessons you learn more classical and folk stuff, and you learn to read treble cleft which is useless when you're learning tab. I probably will end up taking them though, just to get a basic understand of chords and what not.

Third (this is kind of a random question, but whatever), I have a guitar that can be played both as an acoustic and an electric. What would that be called? It doesn't really pertain to anything, I just wanna know so instead of saying "One that's electric and acoustic." when people ask what kind of guitar I have, I can say "A _______."

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance! C:
-----------------------------------------------
Why do you want to be all listening to me?

Why do you spread your arms and tell me I'm free?

Why do you wanna be in my life?

Raise your hands to the sky if you feel alive.
its called an electric/acoustic bro...

As for the power chords: run through all of them from the 12th to the 1st fret. Then randomly jump inbetween 2 or more until it feels fluid.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
the guitars an electro-acoustic and you should get guitar lessons for a few months just to get the hang of the basics
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Start learning your chords.

So a good song to learn would be "Vision Valley" by the Vines. Very easy song, and it'll teach you four very common, basic chords - E minor, G major, D major, and C major.
Quote by ifyoufeelALIVE
Okay, so, I started "playing" guitar about a month ago or whatever, my playing defined as printing easy tabs and trying to figure them out. I have no idea where to start out, like should I learn chords first? Or something else? By myself, I've learned "Discovering the Waterfront" by Silverstein and "Dirty and Left Out" by the Almost, both relativley easy. I can play both alright, good for a beginner I would think, but I have tons of trouble with the power chords in "Discovering the Waterfront".

Also, are guitar lessons worth it? I've heard they are, but also that they aren't, because in lessons you learn more classical and folk stuff, and you learn to read treble cleft which is useless when you're learning tab. I probably will end up taking them though, just to get a basic understand of chords and what not.

Third (this is kind of a random question, but whatever), I have a guitar that can be played both as an acoustic and an electric. What would that be called? It doesn't really pertain to anything, I just wanna know so instead of saying "One that's electric and acoustic." when people ask what kind of guitar I have, I can say "A _______."

learn chords definitly and lessons are totaly worth it and they don't HAVE to be classical you can get a rock teacher.
It's really just called an electro-acoustic? I could've sworn it was called something else... but yeah, thanks guys.

dude take the lessons!! learn all that you can the forget it all and play from the heart!
f@#* off!
Quote by ifyoufeelALIVE
It's really just called an electro-acoustic? I could've sworn it was called something else... but yeah, thanks guys.

There's a bunch of guitar types out there.

Hollow-body electric
semi-hollow body electric
solid body electric (what you commonly know as "electric guitar")
electric acoustic (acoustic with pickups)

I might be wrong on all this, so someone correct me. Those are the ones I know of. And of course then there's the 7-strings, the 8-strings, the 12-strings, the bass guitar with 4-strings, the bass with 5 strings and so on.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
what brand guitar is it?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
what brand guitar is it?

it would be an ibanez af75 i believe.

The guitar you have is commonly known as hollow-body electric. It's used for genres like jazz and such. But you can really use it for whatever you want. B.B. King plays on a hollow body electric and so does George Thorogood (who is awesome by the way), so more power to you.

I would love to get one of those someday and play some Santana songs.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
The guitar you have is commonly known as hollow-body electric. It's used for genres like jazz and such. But you can really use it for whatever you want. B.B. King plays on a hollow body electric and so does George Thorogood (who is awesome by the way), so more power to you.

I would love to get one of those someday and play some Santana songs.

hah, okay, thank you. that makes sense because my guitar is actually my dad's but he doesn't use it anymore so it's mine now. anyway, my dad's all into jazz and stuff like that so it makes sense that he would buy that.

and yeah, one of my goals is to learn some Santana, he's AMAZING!

Quote by ifyoufeelALIVE

Then you said later on that the guitar was your dad's...

So, rectify me if i'm wrong, you want to learn a guitar, and your dad used to have a guitar(that which is yours now).

Why not ask your dad to teach you? You could also ask him for tips.

Tell you what, you'll learn best that way..

I learned that way.
definitely take the lessons, after a month you'll have the basics down and you can teach yourself from there.