Right, I need some help with how to actually record some bass directly into my laptop. it hasn't got an input port apart from the small microphone port and USBs. How could I go about getting the best quality sound? Willing to buy stuff if it's needed.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
try the riffs and recording forum, you'll get better responses there
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
try the riffs and recording forum, you'll get better responses there

Thought about that, but there're probably more people on the bass forum that record than people on the recording forum that play bass.
There are a lot of people on there are studio engineers and such, I'm pretty sure that they cpuld help you =/

I've done a little recording, I know that you'll need a DI box and probably a better soundcard for the clearest tone.

Do you have a bass with an active preamp? I've gotten away with just going straight into the microphone jack on my computer.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Don't really worry about your soundcard. Get an interface and pro tools. M-Powered makes great affordable interfaces and there's an M-Powered version of Pro Tools. This is what i did and i get damn near professional studio quality.
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
I use an Alesis Multimix 8 to record with, which plugs into my usb port. It sounds pretty good. It solves the clipping problem I was having when going through the microphone slot. And you can record multiple instruments at once.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 30, 2008,
Well this is what I do and its decent sound quality. It would work for a demo or something. I have a Behringer Interface (its not bad) which has RCA inputs. I have a microphone to RCA converter, so I run a DI from my Carvin into the interface, into my computer.
Alright, thanks for your help guys, I've just seen that the upgrade of my Zoom pedal has a USB interface, the B2.1U, so I may look into selling my one for this soon. Has anyone had any experience with it by any slim chance?
I have a Sansamp now to use as my pre-amp, but previously I've used a Zoom B2 (for guitar and bass) and haven't had any problems with it. I've done this all for rough demos, but I just have the signal that leaves the Zoom going into my laptob via a 1/4 to 1/8th converter, and that goes into the microphone jack. I use Audacity to record it.

With the sansamp, it's pretty much the same deal, but obviously you don't need an expensive DI to do it.