I was reading about Fender "one-offs" today, and I was wondering if anyone knew if you would be able to order a guitar with a custom body shape from them, even if it cost a lot. Instead of just a Strat or Tele body which would be normal for them, just a radical shape like something you would see from BC Rich except with the elegance of Fender.
The guys in the custom shop don't have to do anything. They are free to dream up custom strats to design and put in production and build guitars for the stars. I would guess atleast 10k if they would even make one for you
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
If they did that, wouldn't everyone have one?

You're talking about a massive company here, and an ultra-conservative one at that.

I rather doubt they'd do that for you. You'd be better off getting a smaller custom shop or luthier to do it.

If you're prepared to shell out as much cash as your idea suggests, try the ESP custom shop.
You guys are making it seem like it's impossible to even order something "custom" from the Fender Custom Shop. I mean unless I'm wrong, I read on their website that they can make one-offs made especially for you as long as you go to one of their few specialty dealers (about 2-3 in each state that I saw) and submit a form. They then make the guitar for you, warning that it will be a lot of money and take as much time as a year to complete. They then ship it to the dealer you ordered it from and pick it up after paying for it beforehand. So if they can do this, I was just wondering if they could make a custom body shape for you.

And the "if everyone would have one if they did this" statement would make sense if it was cheap, but as you said it would cost so much money that most people in the normal budget range for guitars couldn't afford one, but that doesn't it mean it can't be done if they're rich or willing to spill out the cash for it. I'm aware that other companies can do this for you, but I just thought it would be cool to own a Flying V shape guitar with the Fender logo, knowing it was made by them and having the quality a typical Fender would have.
^That's our point, if it's gonna take a year for a strat, how long(if ever) would a custom body shape cost? You're best bet may be to call the custom shop directly or find an email address.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^That's our point, if it's gonna take a year for a strat, how long(if ever) would a custom body shape cost? You're best bet may be to call the custom shop directly or find an email address.

That's what I thought of at first, but they said they don't deal with you directly. They at least can't ship it directly to you, I don't know about calling to ask them a question or sending an email.

And if someone really wanted this guitar, they would be willing to wait. And a year is close to the maximum time it would take, they said it would typically take 6 months, maybe a little less or a little more. If they're busy than it could take longer, but usually no longer than a year.
^But you're gonna have to talk to someone (be it a secretary or whatever) to see if they will do a shape like that and how to get them your drawings of it.
Fender guitars have a very specific look, and their custom shop represents the pinnacle of their design. You can get rare and exotic woods, crazy finishes, and of course expert craftsmanship, but that's as far as it goes.
If you want an unconventional or extreme body shape, there are lots of other custom luthiers that have a lot of experience building more outlandish guitars, and would almost certainly be much cheaper.

EDIT: This thread should probably belong in the "Electric Guitar" sub-forum
Last edited by Nolly at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by Nolly
Fender guitars have a very specific look, and their custom shop represents the pinnacle of their design. You can get rare and exotic woods, crazy finishes, and of course expert craftsmanship, but that's as far as it goes.
If you want an unconventional or extreme body shape, there are lots of other custom luthiers that have a lot of experience building more outlandish guitars, and would almost certainly be much cheaper.

EDIT: This thread should probably belong in the "Electric Guitar" sub-forum

Nailed it right there.

Threadstarter, you'll notice most of the Fender custom shop guitars are all variations of their current models, so I highly doubt they will custom make a body shape.
you'd be better finding a luthier near you, he will make anything you want and for probably much cheaper than a fender custom shop
Quote by Sguit
you'd be better finding a luthier near you, he will make anything you want and for probably much cheaper than a fender custom shop

Why did you re-post that when you posted it earlier?
Quote by AdamDK
Why did you re-post that when you posted it earlier?

That's happened to me on other forums before.

A problem with his computer, I'd guess.

Or he's an ass. Depends how jaded you are.
Quote by Rock Pig
That's happened to me on other forums before.

A problem with his computer, I'd guess.

Or he's an ass. Depends how jaded you are.

mmmmmmm... He's an ass
Quote by pacoasterrider
ESP Custom Shop makes amazing Fender style guitars

I know, that's pretty sick, but I was actually looking for the reverse. I wanted to know if Fender would make ESP-type guitars with weird bodies.

EDIT: Since you brought up ESP, I remember from their custom shop form there's a place to put what logo you want on the headstock. The choices were ESP (obviously), LTD, or other, in which you stated what the "other" was, along with an optional drawing. If you put down Fender, I'm sure they would know how to make it look. So if you got them to make a custom guitar with the Fender logo (if they're even allowed to do that), then at first sight it would be a Fender.
Last edited by maidenforce19 at Oct 30, 2008,
I doubt it. They stick to their 4 basics and don't do much else then a few spin offs. I talked with a Rep. once about their custom shop and he said that they do just stick to the basics, and they make enough buisness doing that so I highly doubt they'd branch off that. Maybe if you offered them like 50K, they might listen. But as far as i know, you'd be better off using another company.

And you won't be allowed to put the Fender logo. That R means Fender would sue the shit outta ESP if they put that logo on. It'd be baller to have you're own logo on a guitar tho.

Fender got mad at me for putting a Austin "Strat Style" Guitar listing on our companies website, just using the word Strat was enough for them to bring it up and make me correct it during a meeting. Putting a logo would make them flip.