and how would i get it? Im finding that i love the sound when i drive the crap out of my amp (fender hot rod deluxe) even at low volumes. is that powertube distortion? or would i need an overdrive pedal to get this. Basically, imma noob.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
You know the solo for "sympathy for the devil" or "time is on my side" That's powertube saturation. Metallica is preamp saturation.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You're driving the preamp, I think. Wrong.

Power tube distortion comes when you turn up the volume, and is quite a desirable sound. People buy ridiculously expensive power attenuators so that they can push the power tubes that hard but still maintain a sensible volume.

Oh, and I thought the drive on the Hot Rod Deluxe was pretty poor?
hey i'm from South Carolina too

just thought i'd put that out there
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Gain = Pre amp distortion
Master volume = Power amp distortion

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Rock Pig

Oh, and I thought the drive on the Hot Rod Deluxe was pretty poor?

it is, hence the reason i had the crap driven out of it. i was frustrated lol it when you have the gain maxed out you actually get a pretty neat tone out of it. its incredibly distorted but maintains the dynamics of your playing quite well. hence, the reason i want to play around with this more but possibly with a pedal instead of the amp to try to get a better sound

And, where from in sc? lol
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
ok, so how do i get more preamp distortion??
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I have the same amp, personally I don't like the built-in drive, but I love the tone when the clean channel is way up. It makes me sad when i have to play quiet.
Quote by Igniter
I have the same amp, personally I don't like the built-in drive, but I love the tone when the clean channel is way up. It makes me sad when i have to play quiet.

yea the clean is fregin amazing, especially cranked. but im going to get me some pedals (instead of my ME-50) to put in front of it, and i was playing around on the drive channel. all the way it sounds nifty
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
To push the preamp even harder you can buy active pickups or/and a booster/overdrive pedal like a tubescreamer.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by bored_maniac33
ok, so how do i get more preamp distortion??

Up with the gain, and high output pickups are good too.
A high quality stompbox would give you the same sound, or maybe better considering your amp, which is more concerned with fantastic clean tones.

Edit: Don't get actives! Nomally that'd be fine, but you would be wasting the amazing clean tone potential of your amp. If you want to retain your amp's great cleans, I would advise a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb. Pricey, but serious bang for your buck.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by Rock Pig
Up with the gain, and high output pickups are good too.
A high quality stompbox would give you the same sound, or maybe better considering your amp, which is more concerned with fantastic clean tones.

Edit: Don't get actives! Nomally that'd be fine, but you would be wasting the amazing clean tone potential of your amp. If you want to retain your amp's great cleans, I would advise a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb. Pricey, but serious bang for your buck.

nah, im not going to do a pup swap or anything. i going to check out some stompboxes to see what i can do. thanks though
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
^A stomp box won't give you more power tube saturation. If you want powertube saturation turn the amp up. If you want to replace the drive on your amp with a pedal I would look at the fulltone OCD and the Fulldrive 2. I played an FD2 through an HRD and it sounded amazing.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^A stomp box won't give you more power tube saturation. If you want powertube saturation turn the amp up. If you want to replace the drive on your amp with a pedal I would look at the fulltone OCD and the Fulldrive 2. I played an FD2 through an HRD and it sounded amazing.

yea, i'm looking at both of those actually, but im going to go to my local shop when i get home and try out several different overdrives and distortions to see if i can get what im looking for
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
The full drive is total secks in a box. If you like one I'd suggest picking one up from the site, they are selling converted fd2s (converted from standard to the standard and mosfet, trust me, the mosfet is worth it) for 125 bucks which is a major steal, as soon as I sell my amp I'm picking one up.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The full drive is total secks in a box. If you like one I'd suggest picking one up from the site, they are selling converted fd2s (converted from standard to the standard and mosfet, trust me, the mosfet is worth it) for 125 bucks which is a major steal, as soon as I sell my amp I'm picking one up.

rly? hmm i havent really checked that out yet. ive only looked at the ocd, which is amazing, so ill check that out. thanks!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Kevin Saale

I'm talking preamp distortion. A stompbox won't give you more, but a good one will get the same basic sound.
i can vouch for the Fulldrive II also...i'm loving mine. i have yet to really crank my BH in the dorm room, but when i go home for a visit i'll bring it with me so i can really test the pedal out!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
You can't get power tube saturation at low volumes.

An overdrive pedal used as a boost will only boost the signal. It will drive the preamp and to a lesser extend the power amp into overdrive (correct me if I'm wrong).

I suggest you go to a secluded area with your amp, and some ear plugs, put the master volume on ten, and have at it.