Body Questions

So I have this big plank of Oak, and I got a friend of mine to cut it in half, machine plane it and glue the two sides together. Now, what I'd like to know is whether Oak would actually be a good wood to build a body from? I would have thought that being fairly dense and heavy, it would give quite a warm sound, like mahogany.

Next thing is cutting the shape out, I don't have access to a band saw, could a jigsaw work? I don't see why not, but being inexperienced kind of shatters the confidence, y'know?

Neck

24 fret neck planned, but I cant make one, as I am not a joiner or luthier. Im thinking of buying a decent donor guitar and jacking the neck and pots in it. Is this advised? Or should I just buy a neck by itself?

Cheers
hehe, a frankenstein guitar, that'd be cool xD
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Oak isn't the best tonewood, kind of dull sounding to me. Brian may built a guitar out of oak however. If it is your first guitar an you want to learn, go for it. I would buy the neck by itself if I were you.
From http://www.guitarnation.com/articles/calkin.htm

Oak. Oak is coarse and its large pores are hard to fill, but its availability in home improvement stores makes it widely available. Quartered oak is common at lumberyards. The only thing wrong with oak instruments is that they look so much like furniture. Quartered stock displays an irregular pattern of medullary rays that add interest to the ring lines, though filling the pores with dark material draws the eye away from the rays. Oak loves to bend and is seldom cantankerous in this regard. the hardness of the wood varies across the same board, so machine sanding alone will leave the surface wavy. The trick is to machine sand and then block sand with each grit. White oak seems to have a slightly finer texture than red oak, otherwise, I don't distinguish between the two. This wood is so far outside of musicians' expectations that oak instruments always take them by surprise, especially if they hear them before seeing them. In areas where oak is commonly burned for heat, it may be held in low regard for any other use. Be brave, though. Oak is fun to work with.

I'd just buy a neck, buying a whole other donor guitar seems like a waste.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Quote by Graveworm
If god wanted you to wait til marriage why did he give you sexual urges at a teen age?

To test your faith, stupid. Just like dinosaur fossils and the sun!
Quote by Shiroshu

I'd just buy a neck, buying a whole other donor guitar seems like a waste.

I've looked at that, but even when buying the neck by itself then the parts, I get roughly the same price as if I buy the donor guitar. I reckon its a fairly good idea to buy a donor, but as I know roughly nothing about building guitars, I thought I should just get ideas and pointers.

Thanks though
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
The only reason i could see buying them separately is you can determine the quality of the parts
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
I don't know if you've looked at this site

http://www.stewmac.com/

but you might be able to find most of what you need fairly cheaply.

A lot of it depends on how much work you're willing to do yourself on your first build.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Quote by Graveworm
If god wanted you to wait til marriage why did he give you sexual urges at a teen age?

To test your faith, stupid. Just like dinosaur fossils and the sun!
Thanks, I know the Stewmac site. What I'd like to do is just have the neck done, so that i can route the pickup cavities and neck pocket.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
just buy a neck from stewmac.com
they have mahogany and ebony and maple necks there for about $40 cheap.
You just LOST the game >: P

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
i am using oak on my first build, though its for the top with a teak body, mahogany neck and headstock.....as for a "tonewood" the choice of pickups and amp have a far far greater effect on the final sound that the wood..once the wood is hard, stable and dry it will be fine....
I might just find a neck off ebay or something, I'd like a 24 fret neck, and stewmac dont sell them, which is a bit of a bummer.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by Dawginator
I might just find a neck off ebay or something, I'd like a 24 fret neck, and stewmac dont sell them, which is a bit of a bummer.

http://www.warmoth.com
You can get 24 fret necks there, but they could hit your neck pickup.
Quote by Chessman.exe
just buy a neck from stewmac.com
they have mahogany and ebony and maple necks there for about $40 cheap.
lol, no. for $40 stewmac will sell you a neck blank.
no trussrod, no fret board, not even shaped. just the wood.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I looked at Warmoth and they seem a bit steeply priced, also I live in France, so shipping is a bit on the expensive side.

Edit: Oops, didn't look at the neck blanks...thanks.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Last edited by Dawginator at Oct 30, 2008,
you said you didn't want to build the neck?
Anyway, Ebay is probably the best, also check out mighty mite, guitar all parts, Guitar fettish (usuallyy not the best).. etc.

Rock Pig: It won't hit his neck pickup, if hes making the body himself he can put the neck pickup wherever he wants, so it won't hit
Cheers you guys, didn't know about a couple of the sites there, will check them out.

Edit: Unless making a neck isn't as complicated as it looks, I might give it a go, is there any specific equipment that I'd need?
I'd probably buy the 'board fretted, so I guess I'd need a press to insert the frets, or could you just tap them in with a hammer?

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Last edited by Dawginator at Oct 31, 2008,
^ You can hammer frets in, personally taking a hammer to a guitar I'm trying to build, not destroy doesnt sound like a good idea to me, so I bought a press.

Make sure if you buy a pre made neck that the bridge your using is compatible, the same goes when designing your own neck if you build one.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
This makes things slightly more confuzzleing. How do I know if the bridge and neck are compatible. Is there some kind of rule of thumb? I would like a Tune-O-Matic if that helps.

Edit: I believe I just jacked my own thread, but your RG build is the business. Just thought you should know.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
^ thanks man

for example, if you buy a vintage fender neck, you need a vintage nut spacing, and a vintage bridge spacing, that way the strings will be correctly alligned and taper correctly from them bridge to the nut.

If you stuck huge bridge on a small neck the strings might fall off the side, and if you get a large neck and a small bridge the strings will fit on it, but they wont taper correctly, e.g. they wont always be parallel to the edge of the fingerboard, something I wouldnt allow on my own guitars, but thats being anal.

If you are designing your own guitar, you can get the nut you want, get the bridge you want (a TOM in this case) draw their E-e string spacing out on a bit of paper, the correct scale length apart (e.g. 25.5) and then you connect the low E on the bridge to the E on the nut, and the same for the high e and that will show you how the strings will taper, and then you add a couple of mm either side of the outer strings and you have the measurements of your neck and fretboard.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Thanks, I'm pretty set on buying a neck for this first one I think, but thanks for the tips.
Now, can I use an RG neck (for example) with a TOM?

See my Uber noob question skills? Fancy eh?

Edit: Oh, and pickup wise, I'm going passive, but cant choose a combination. Whats good for everything really? Two humbuckers, one humbucker and a single, just one humbucker even?

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Last edited by Dawginator at Oct 31, 2008,