tonight i have to go see the opera carmen for my music literature class. im more or less dreading it to say the least. anyone have any experience with going to operas? any suggestions? should i bring liquor in a water bottle?

also my last class finishes 40 minutes before the opera starts. i wont have time to walk to home and back to campus so would it be inappropriate for me to walk in with a backpack and in jeans and a tshirt?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Awesome, I've been to one. Jeans and tshirt isn't inappropriate. I don't see any point of you taking alcohol though to be honest.
Try going to see an orchestra as well if you haven't, sounds good man
RULE BRITANNIA

sorry i just hate culture such as opera and art.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
I've been to one, 'Madame Butterfly' by Puccini. It was pretty boring for me because I didn't like the story (american buys japanese wife - american goes away - japanese wife kills herself wtf) and I hate Italian music. I don't know about Carmen though.
And it was pretty long: about three houres or something.
I went to an opera with my uncle in february, it was actually at the Met, we saw Macbeth. I went in dreading it like you did, but it wasn't actually that bad, there should be translations if you dont speak italian, but overall it wasn't half-bad!
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Quote by SlipknotRule93

...and you're proud of it?
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Awesome, I've been to one. Jeans and tshirt isn't inappropriate. I don't see any point of you taking alcohol though to be honest.

Jeans are definitely not appropriate. You should dress well.

I've only been to a handful of operas, but Carmen is my favorite so far. It won't be boring.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
I don't know about Carmen in particular, but i have heard good things about it. Operas are generally pretty lengthy, and jeans/t-shirt are not appropriate, neither is a flask or waterbottle with alcohol.
Good Deals: imgooley, pak1351
Last edited by sharkbait08 at Oct 30, 2008,
jsut dont go drunk or high, cause no one lieks to be next to the guy who cant keep his trap shut
Go to it, and try to enjoy it. It's a new experience.

Also, have a look at attending an Orchestral performance. The skill displayed in the Orchestras are amazing.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

i have to go to some orchestras for this class aswell. that im looking forward to. we watched some of a performance of carmen in class and i was bored as hell. hopefully a live performance will draw me in more. im not too big a fan of that style of singing. its being performed in english so i have a feeling that they wont have subtitles because of that. i have a feeling that might mean i wont understand a single word of it.

Quote by Mr. La Fritz
Get stoned before it.

Thank me later.

Quote by sharkbait08
I don't know about Carmen in particular, but i have heard good things about it. Operas are generally pretty lengthy, and jeans/t-shirt are not appropriate, neither is a flask or waterbottle with alcohol.

its on my college campus but it is a pretty serious production. they are having the performers fly in from across the country. i might throw on a polo, but im not going to be that guy that shows up for class in a shirt and tie. not to mention i hate dressing up...
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
I usually wear a suit when I'm going to an Opera.

I've seen Carmen twice, it's beautiful.

Don't ruin other people fun because you think it'll be boring, no alcohol or drugs. Don't be a douche. Just STFU and enjoy the show, or just skip it if you are about to piss people off.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I have the same feeling torward operas. just sit in the backrow, put on some headphones and go to sleep. you're not bothering anyone so i dont see the problem.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by SlipknotRule93

Hence, your shitty taste in music is apparent to all.

I think if you keep and open mind you will be pleasantly surprised. Opera isn't for everyone but as a musician you may at least appreciate it.
I wish I could go!
Apparently, it's very common if you fall asleep during one, so don't be afraid. Seriously though, I really wish I could have seen an opera for my lit class!
Dress up. Go. Enjoy it.

Opera owns.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
so i just got back from that opera. i barely made it through the first act. the acting was terrible and the storyline was so slow to develop that i was bored as hell in the first 20 minutes. granted i hate musicals, so opera was probably not for me. i love plays, (i have taken two play writing classes at college) but once song and dance is introduced i cant follow it.

i appreciate what they were trying to do (the director of the opera is my music literature teacher) but opera is outside my realm of relation.

*shrug*
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by SlipknotRule93

Well judging by your username I'd think so.
i wish i could feel that way one vision but i just cant get into opera. i understand the what they were doing and what they were trying to say when the wrote those operas, and i respect that...

but i just cannt get into it. it just doesnt tickle my musical preferences and stylings.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
yeah.

i think that the biggest thing that got me was how "cheesy" the production was. there was no scenery and it was basically people singing behind psychedelic projector backdrops????

i understand a low budget but they sacrificed the acting for the sake of the music. as a creative writing major, im more interested in the acting and dialogue and i think that is what turned me off to it. it was an interesting experience tho and i dont regret trying to see some of it
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns