Page 1 of 2
yes, this thread may seem a bit pointless, and hey i might get flamed alot for this, but hey ho...

i went down to GAK today (took me 4 hours thanks to the damned M25 ) and i was trying razorbacks etc etc. through a
LINE 6 SPIDER III 75W AMP.

and i LOVED IT.

i was like

all the hate they get, i thought it would be shocking, but it was REAAAALLY good!

i was also playing through a marshall JVM something or other, and tbh i preferred the spider.

anyway, there you go. my strange story
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Someday you'll develop an ear for tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Someday you'll develop an ear for tone.

well i know people who like them, and i honestly can't hear anything wrong with them...

Quote by cornmancer
Some people like them. I never tried one but I watched some Youtube clips where people use them, and they don't seem so bad.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
well i know people who like them, and i honestly can't hear anything wrong with them...

If you like your tone sounding like a razorblade through the ears, then yes, there is nothing wrong with spiders.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by Ktool The Girth
If you like your tone sounding like a razorblade through the ears, then yes, there is nothing wrong with spiders.

well i WAS playing a razorback.

ba dum tissssssssssssssssssss.

Quote by cornmancer
It's all about preference, if you liked it then you liked it, good for you.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
That's my point, a lot of people don't have an ear for tone. Why do you think we get threads saying my spider/mg sounds like crap, I need new amp? How long did you play it? Sit down with it for about 2 hours and tell me you feel the same way. I was lucky when I was a noob and tried amps, I always though the spiders and the mgs sounded like junk, though I am guilty of like the solid state crates.

Edit:
Quote by Ghold125
how loud was the amp?

Another good point.
They aren't really all bad, they just aren't that great either

I tried out a JVM full stack once, and didn't really like it.... I guess you have to crank them for em to sound good

At low volumes I'd take an SS amp over a tube for metal anyday
i have a hypothesis. maybe you plugged into an amp that had a spider nameplate on it but was an entirely different amp and the store did that to scare you for haloween?
Quote by Ghold125
how loud was the amp?

it was about volume 3. bear in mind i couldnt turn it up cos there were other people playing.

Quote by cornmancer
For gobs and gobs of gain at low volume, the spider is the better choice. Sounds like that's what you were doing based on your guitar choice.
I don't know how long you've been playing for, but a lot of new players equate gain with tone. You liked the spider just because it sounded more powerful, not better. Just a thought.
It's entirely possible that you genuinely did like the spider better too.
I just sold my spider, it wasn't great but it gets too much stick in my opinion, for the money its ok
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
im a solid state kinda guy? if it sounds good who cares whaqt others think? alot of people on here are on waaaaay too much and have nothing to do but point out flaws.if you liked it good.if not dont play through it
Quote by gun4hire
ugh, you cant rape someone with a pineapple because that would assume that someone doesnt want to have sex with a pineapple, which is impossible

Quote by Jackal58
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Especially an ignorant law.
Quote by Roc8995
For gobs and gobs of gain at low volume, the spider is the better choice. Sounds like that's what you were doing based on your guitar choice.
I don't know how long you've been playing for, but a lot of new players equate gain with tone. You liked the spider just because it sounded more powerful, not better. Just a thought.
It's entirely possible that you genuinely did like the spider better too.

Yeah, I agree. I think they sound fine at low volume, a bit thin for sure, but not bad at all. As you turn the volume up, that's where they lose tone, very thin & piercing with minimal midrange. In the environment you tested it in (noisy guitar store), I'm sure it sounded great to you, with tons of gain & sustain( but weak articulation) that will also hide mistakes. If you enjoy the sound of the amp, that's all that matters, but beware if you need something like that Spider for gigs or something. Then it's not all about you.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
ha i went down to GAK earlier today and played through that Line 6 amp aswell, but i tried out a music man JP. so damn nice, but a little to pricey for me
I Won't Let This Build Up Inside Of Me

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
Quote by muhat gandy
ha i went down to GAK earlier today and played through that Line 6 amp aswell, but i tried out a music man JP. so damn nice, but a little to pricey for me

haha you might have seen me

depends when you were there. i was there from like half 11 till about half 2

wearing very tight black jeans with awesome emo hair trying out the union jack razorback, and the razorback V which i completely fell in love with haha.

and yeah, it sounded good to me, and tbh i wont go much over the volume i was at..

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
haha you might have seen me

depends when you were there. i was there from like half 11 till about half 2

wearing very tight black jeans with awesome emo hair trying out the union jack razorback, and the razorback V which i completely fell in love with haha.

and yeah, it sounded good to me, and tbh i wont go much over the volume i was at..

Yer i got there at half 11 and stayed for about an hour. Wearing grey hoodie and A7X top. i spent all the time down in the ibanez part

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
Must have sucked balls to travel for 4 hours and have to use a Spider. Anyway, I don't know whether it's lack of ear for good tone or you just genuinely like the spider tone, but tbh, I think the tone is bad at high levels. The lower wattage spiders are okay for "high-gainish bedroom practice" but really their is better quality out there for the price of their half-stacks and 30 watt models.
Quote by muhat gandy
Yer i got there at half 11 and stayed for about an hour. Wearing grey hoodie and A7X top. i spent all the time down in the ibanez part

if id have seen you id have probably raped you and taken your a7x top >.>

oh my god i might have seen you!!! were you playing canon rock????

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
if id have seen you id have probably raped you and taken your a7x top >.>

oh my god i might have seen you!!! were you playing canon rock????

yer near the end i was playing it....not to well i must add not my best song but there you go

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
Quote by muhat gandy
yer near the end i was playing it....not to well i must add not my best song but there you go

haha it sounded good to me.

i heard you play betrayed as well i think. and some other a7x. you're really good, i felt like turning round and saying it when i was looking at razorbacks

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by ClementWave
this thread reeks of nooblets

quiet, july '08er.

Quote by cornmancer
Last edited by Hoodoo Child at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by Hoodoo Child
haha it sounded good to me.

i heard you play betrayed as well i think. and some other a7x. you're really good, i felt like turning round and saying it when i was looking at razorbacks

lol you should have, always good to hear. you must have started playing just after i left then.

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
Quote by Hoodoo Child
quite, july '08er.

The date you joined has little to do with whether you're a noob or not.
Quote by muhat gandy
lol you should have, always good to hear. you must have started playing just after i left then.

probably. i think i was on the spider straight after you. i was playing an RR3 a bit through a crappy fender amp, and was trying to match your a7x skillz on the ICT700 through one of the marshalls.

i failed

Quote by cornmancer
solid states are okay, and its cool if you liked it but, everyone without a serious mental illness (and some people with) know that a good tube amp is better. i own a solid state, i wish i had sumthing better but sadly my budget is small so... dont think im being a hypocrit just cause i own one
Quote by enselmis
solid states are okay, and its cool if you liked it but, everyone without a serious mental illness (and some people with) know that a good tube amp is better. i own a solid state, i wish i had sumthing better but sadly my budget is small so... dont think im being a hypocrit just cause i own one

oh i know tubes are better. i just preferred the spider for what i was using it for.

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
probably. i think i was on the spider straight after you. i was playing an RR3 a bit through a crappy fender amp, and was trying to match your a7x skillz on the ICT700 through one of the marshalls.

i failed

o i think i might no who you were...did you have blonde hair and come with a younger kid? playing around the corner by the ESPs?

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
Quote by muhat gandy
o i think i might no who you were...did you have blonde hair and come with a younger kid? playing around the corner by the ESPs?

well blonde/ginger ish, massive like emo fringe

yeah, short kid with brown hair?
he's the same age as me

and yeah the ESP corner

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child

you know...i used to think the exact same thing...but then i bought a fender hot rod deluxe....

however, the "metal" and "crunch" settings really arent that bad, especially for the price and all. however, the clean channels are far less the substandard.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Hoodoo Child
well blonde/ginger ish, massive like emo fringe

yeah, short kid with brown hair?
he's the same age as me

and yeah the ESP corner

the same age? i assumed he was your younger brother, ah thats well weird. did that guy desperately try and sell you whatever you picked up?

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
lol that's awesome that y'all saw each other
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
greasy teenagers running around in avenged sevenfold shirts playing ibanez's through spider IIIs...

lol
My friend has a Spider III 75W and i kinda like it... we used to be in a band and he was playing it and it sounded just fine...

for the money, you could do better... if you're after effects and stuff, you should probably check out the Peavy Vypyrs, but Spider III's aint that bad as long as you dont turn them up too loud :P
Quote by Sonic Soundwave
i have a hypothesis. maybe you plugged into an amp that had a spider nameplate on it but was an entirely different amp and the store did that to scare you for haloween?

You are my favorite OCT 08'er. That's funny.
Quote by muhat gandy
the same age? i assumed he was your younger brother, ah thats well weird. did that guy desperately try and sell you whatever you picked up?

hahaa, he's the same age

and yeah he offered me deals on all of the guitars, he even tried to get me to put a deposit on that razorback union jack.

edit: im not after effects, but the only amps in my budget (less than £150) have effects on, or so ive found.

Quote by cornmancer
Page 1 of 2