I have a Standard Epiphone Les Paul and am looking to upgrade my pickups. i was wondering how a P-90 in the neck position would work. never seen one with this though undoutably its been done before. it is worth doing, hoping to the option of a more brighter sound from it.
thanks for your help and as you can tell i dont really have a experience so be kind if this is a stupid question
Last edited by MuseAddict123 at Oct 30, 2008,
Either Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio (don't remember which) makes a pickup that fits humbucker routing which is a P90 with a rail-type single coil so it can work as a humbucker or a P90 with coiltapping. I suggest you check that out, since a single P90 won't exactly fit a humbucker pocket
I'm going to do this with my Ibanez. Beat you to the punch :p

There are some brilliant P90s that'll fit into a humbucker rout, namely the Duncan Phat Cat and Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen.

You'll have no problems and it'll sound absolutely great, but you need to make sure it matches well with your bridge picckup.
Quote by drewsta42
Either Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio (don't remember which) makes a pickup that fits humbucker routing which is a P90 with a rail-type single coil so it can work as a humbucker or a P90 with coiltapping. I suggest you check that out, since a single P90 won't exactly fit a humbucker pocket

You'r thinking of Duncan P-Rails. Great, but the emphasis is on versatility not sound. and the wiring is a bit of a bitch.
there are ones that fit the slot for example a bare knuckle Mississippi queen does but that a bit pricey
Quote by MuseAddict123
there are ones that fit the slot for example a bare knuckle Mississippi queen does but that a bit pricey

I just said that, yanno. READ
Phat Cat and Mississippi Queen are both quite pricey, but they're both fantastic. Worth the money.

Edit: alternatively, http://www.everythingsg.com/howto/p90conv/1.html
Last edited by Rock Pig at Oct 30, 2008,
opp i was just happy that you said it sounds good also fairly certain that i matches with a bare knuckle nailbomb matt bellamy had it in one of his manson i think
Last edited by MuseAddict123 at Oct 30, 2008,
yeah he did^
I think Seymour Duncan makes P90s which fit into a humbucker slot, not the P rails, actual P90s
Quote by guitarcam123

I think Seymour Duncan makes P90s which fit into a humbucker slot, not the P rails, actual P90s

THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID @_@;

AM I NOT BEING HEARD? D:

Honestly, the humbucker retrofit P90s probably sound better than the normal ones. Bigger and Fatter, but still with that great P90 crunch.
Actually they tend to sound a little weaker and less defined than full P-90s. But they're still preferable to having the guitar re-routed.

One that's not been mentioned yet are Swineshead pickups. They make a P-90 that's built to fit a humbucker routing, and unlike the Seymour Duncan version, they are actually made as a proper P-90 should be.

Second to that are the Bare Knuckles. I say second simply because the Bare Knuckles version is a little hotter, which I'm not a fan of for any kind of single coil pickup, and also as with all Bare Knuckle pickups, it's a little overpriced.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
as with all Bare Knuckle pickups, it's a little overpriced.

I live in England.

We get a much better price.

And, how is the Phat Cat made differently?
I live in England too, and I say those Bare Knuckles are damn overpriced

As for the Phat Cat, it's made with an Alnico II bar magnet. A 'real' P-90 uses Alnico III or V pole pieces.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^which in turn makes the duncan version not sound authentic. i think gibson makes a pretty good one to...P-94, but its really expensive....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
GFS make P-90s in humbucker casing. Pretty decent on price, but they're not that reliable
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.