You're gonna have to be more specific or record clips, because I have no idea what you're talking about.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The only thing I have is a crappy computer mic that doesn't pick up music well, so I'll try describing it better. There's a LOT of hum, and it sounds like a blowtorch if you listen closely. Is that just the tubes? Or do I need to attempt recording a sound clip to help you guys understand the problem better?
Yeah, the manual says to let them warm up for about 30 seconds. Do I need to for longer?

Also, even though my volume is between 1 and 2 on all knobs, there is no hum on the overdrive channel, but there is on cleans. Don't know if volume makes a difference.

EDIT: Also, do I have to wait for the tubes to cool back down before I turn it completely off?
Last edited by -Blue- at Oct 30, 2008,
That's strange, and no, no need to let them cool down, even when the amp is in standby the heater filament is still one.
That sounds about the opposite from usual. Normally there is some noise on the gain side and not on the cleans. I didn't try the 33 though, just the 18 and 50 but I would think they would be very similar.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Huh. I went to record a sound clip, and...

1) The problem's still there. And,
2) It now makes a strange sound when I flip to the overdrive channel, and a quieter sound when I switch back.

There's some hum in the background just because of my computer mic, but you'll be able to tell when I turn the amp on and its sound. It doesn't sound quite like it does in real life, but maybe close enough to come to a conclusion? Also, its size is due to me not compressing the sound file, because I thought it might hide the sound.

http://www.tempfiles.net/download/200810/22479/amp-hum.html
Sounds like a bad ground, can you try a different outlet somewhere else in the house?
Try in another room on the opposite side of the residence.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^Could be your whole house isn't grounded properly.
Have an electrician check it out. Conversely, you could take it to a shop and see if they'll give it a quick look and let you plug the amp into a properly grounded outlet.
No, but I thought both channels sounded equally noisy, though I was only hearing a clip.
Oh. My parents say the house is, in fact, properly grounded, and that the hum is nothing to really worry about, it's just amplified noise. My dad has used a tube amp before, so I'm assuming he would know. Maybe replacing the preamp tubes would cut down on it, though? Are those the ones that create noise?