the "b" are flats.. a semitone lower

... an 8 note scale?
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by victoryaloy
the "b" are flats.. a semitone lower

... an 8 note scale?

Octatonic scale
They always relate to the major scale.

The major scale is
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C D E F G A B
- with C as root
so...
1 b2 b3 3 b5 5 6 b7
C Db Eb E Gb G A Bb
- with C as root
Si
^^

But you also have to remember that if you use a scales such as
E that you can't forget the accidentals from the original scale

E Maj E F# G# A B C# D#

so if you apply the new scale you get

E F G G# Bb B C# D

..it would probably make more sense to have the the 3 be b4 so you stay as close to a diatonic scale as possible.

So in the G# then becomes Ab
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Yeah I was thinking along similar lines except I was thinking the b5 would be a sharp 4. But you could rewrite it many different ways so thought I would leave that out so as not to confuse TS further.

But some of the other ways of writing this that I considered were
1 #1 #2 3 #4 5 6 b7
1 b2 b3 3 #4 5 6 b7
1 b2 #2 3 #4 5 6 b7
1 b2 b3 b4 b5 5 6 b7
and some more but I didn't know which one would be correct. But I guess it would be the one you suggested (the last one in my list) as it doesn't mix the bs and #s. But then when you apply it and give it a root value you are likely to get mixed b's and #s anyway. So then I thought it would depend on how you use each note in context so I just left it with the way the TS originally had it.

Any ideas on which one is correct nomenclature and why?
Si
Quote by 20Tigers

1 b2 b3 b4 b5 5 6 b7

if i had to pick i'd pick this one because all the accidentals are flats

Edit:
also you could think of it without the tritone as 1,b2,b3,b4,5,6,b7
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Last edited by victoryaloy at Oct 30, 2008,
LMAO

It's the dominant diminished scale aka half-whole. I was looking and looking at it before and only just clicked. Now I feel a little sdupit at not having realized earlier.

H W H W H W H W

PS Once I clicked on this I decided to check my theory books to see how they write the scale. They do it 1 b2 b3 3 #4 5 6 b7. I guess it's just a matter of preference.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
LMAO

It's the dominant diminished scale aka half-whole. I was looking and looking at it before and only just clicked. Now I feel a little sdupit at not having realized earlier.

H W H W H W H W

PS Once I clicked on this I decided to check my theory books to see how they write the scale. They do it 1 b2 b3 3 #4 5 6 b7. I guess it's just a matter of preference.

Nice call. I've never actually put the half-whole into practice before so i would have never thought of that.
Quote by joshjhasarrived