K, so I'm a bass player for 3 years, and didn't pick up learning till a year ago, and I'd like to ask a question regarding scales:

The Key of the song piece can be a C Major, with C D E F G A B, and I was wondering if you can use the scales for each note in the key.

For example, If I was in E Major and I wanted to play a F#. May I use the F# Major Scale to outline the note?
Whenever a human being who is so fat looks at you achingly and licks her lips as if you are a Little Debbie snack cake, you have approximately 5 seconds to live before you are consumed. This is just one example of an eat attack.
Short answer: No.

A long answer might involve explaining the system of modes, which might not be what you're looking for. If you're playing in E major but the chord being played in a progression is F#m, then your bassline will still be in E major and still using the notes in E major, but you will want to stick around that F# note more.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Which will lead me to my next question:

Is it possible to, when using a certain scale, to use different Variations on the scale? Like using the Major Scale, then playing notes from the Mixolydian or Pentatonic?
Whenever a human being who is so fat looks at you achingly and licks her lips as if you are a Little Debbie snack cake, you have approximately 5 seconds to live before you are consumed. This is just one example of an eat attack.
Quote by slap-a-bass
so lets say you have F#m in E Major scale..the notes you would probably using the most would be F# A and C# and you can add a 7th if you want

It all depends on what style the song is. If it's something which isn't particularly complex rhythmically then you can take some space to be a bit more melodic, particularly in a higher register.

Quote by FunkyMonk619
Which will lead me to my next question:

Is it possible to, when using a certain scale, to use different Variations on the scale? Like using the Major Scale, then playing notes from the Mixolydian or Pentatonic?

Well, sort of. If you're using the major scale, then you can use the major pentatonic no problem. If you're playing in a major key you're only really gonna want to use the major modes: Ionian, Lydian and Mixolydian. Still, don't go too crazy swapping around modes because generally that's more the sort of thing you'd find in a guitar solo than a bassline, and even then you've got to be careful.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Okay, thanks for the info.

I live in a small town with not that many instructors, and not many bass players at that. So I attempt to learn online.