What's the trick to getting "that" sound? You know what I mean. That perfectly accurate, precise, tight distorted guitar tone.

I have decent equipment (Ibanez RGT6EX with EMG 81/85 pu's is the main guitar and through a Behringer 2x12 modeling amp) and it does sound good...I really like it...but it lacks precision or something. Something is missing and it's hard to describe. Is that tight, defined guitar tone a result of studio work? Compression? Limiter? Better amp? Better guitarists? What can I do to make my tone sound more...um...accurate?....tight?...or whatever...

I've only ever heard 2 amps that had the crisp, precise tone I'm thinking of. One was a Crate half stack that I goofed with at a guitar store like...10 years ago. The other is the Joe Satriani half stack that Peavey makes (I think) that they have at guitar center...could it be the built in compressor? This one didn't sound as tight as that Crate back in the day did or records do, though...but it's close and DOES sound damn good.

When I play, no matter what I'm playing or how I play it, it just seems like everything is a bit mushed together when I play fast, intricate stuff. Anything I can do to improve my tone?
New amp, (that amp is terrible) and better playing. Most albums have post production which plays it's part.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by rmp5s
I have decent equipment (Ibanez RGT6EX with EMG 81/85 pu's is the main guitar and through a Behringer 2x12 modeling amp)?

gonna have to dissapoint you there

"that" sound is a valve amp, i can almost guarentee it

dont forget, "that" sound is a "good" sound with good fingers
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
HEY your Ibanez RGT6EXFX how does it feel? like what do you rate on how comfortable is it!! cause im still deciding between that one or the kh 602
To me i think that "that" sound you're after sounds like some sort of engl

Engls are incredably tight
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by nickbob00
To me i think that "that" sound you're after sounds like some sort of engl

Engls are incredably tight

Haha it's costed me 6 grand, but I'm there now finally after all these years...with an ENGL no less.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Wow...lots of replies in not much time! Very cool. Thanks everyone.

First and foremost, the Ibanez RGT6EXFXBK is AMAZING...I LOVE that thing. My 2 Ibanez's are my favorite guitars by far. (Kinda takes the fun out of going to guitar center though...lol) I've played nothing but Ibanez and Parker my whole life, basses and guitars, and swear by them completely. To me, NOTHING is as playable and comfortable as a Wizard neck. The only thing more comfortable is my custom 1994 Ibanez S540LTD...it has one of the original Wizard I necks. :-D Anyway...if you are a fan of thinner necks, I highly highly highly highly recommend the RGT6...any Ibanez, really.

As far as my amp goes, hey...it was cheap. I know you get what you pay for (Speaking of which...SIX GRAND, Kayman!?! What the HELL!?! lol Got any vids/mp3s of that rig?) but I unfortunately can't drop _____-thousand bucks on an amp right now. In a few years, probably...and even then, unless I'm not making a living with it, it's hard to justify spending that much on my rig so I try to keep it kinda cheap. However...I'll definately check out the ENGL stuff. It's rare that I come across an amp that I've never heard of but this is one of those times.

And I really don't think my playing is much of an issue in this case (but it has its issues...believe me...), especially now that I think about the fact that my amp wasn't even 200 bucks.

I know my amp is cheap, and I know that I'll probably never get much out of it, but I've played many high end amps and never really been able to get "that sound" with them either and this is what kinda makes me wonder about this whole thing. I'll check out the ENGL stuff...anything other recommendations?
You may never get "that" sound with out a 6 grand amp, but you can do SOOO much better than what you have.
Sometimes its the most subtle things that can help.
EQ pedal, changing the height of the pickups on your guitar,
and yeah, a tube amp would help get "that" sound, but if you
screw around long enough you might get lucky and find it.
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Sometimes its the most subtle things that can help.
EQ pedal, changing the height of the pickups on your guitar,
and yeah, a tube amp would help get "that" sound, but if you
screw around long enough you might get lucky and find it.

He has a behringer amp, I'd say he needs to do away with that before he tries buying pedals.
lol...the thing doesn't sound THAT bad man...an EQ pedal probably wouldn't hurt.

I know I'll never sound 100% pro without having a pro budget, which is fine. I don't even plan on having a truly "pro" budget (but hey...ya never know I guess) so I'm trying to learn, find out as many tricks and words of wisdom as I can and make the most out of what I have. "Buy a new amp" is a big no brainer considering the one I have cost not even 200 bucks. I like the way it sounds...I was just wondering how to make it sound better.
Quote by rmp5s
lol...the thing doesn't sound THAT bad man...an EQ pedal probably wouldn't hurt.

I know I'll never sound 100% pro without having a pro budget, which is fine. I don't even plan on having a truly "pro" budget (but hey...ya never know I guess) so I'm trying to learn, find out as many tricks and words of wisdom as I can and make the most out of what I have. "Buy a new amp" is a big no brainer considering the one I have cost not even 200 bucks. I like the way it sounds...I was just wondering how to make it sound better.

I know what you're you're saying, but you can get a better amp for like 2-300 bucks, anymore than that and you can really improve.
I know. I was actually wanting a Fender Ultimate Chorus or Blues Jr. (I think is what it was called) but they were a bit more money than I had at the time. I'm going to Marine Corps boot camp in jan or feb and I'll have a bit of cash when I get out so I'm considering doing a complete rig refurb.

But...I DO like the Behringer. All in all, it doesn't sound bad...especially considering I got it used off ebay for all of 180 bucks or something like that. Plus, it's great for recording with all its ins and outs on the back...even if it doesn't sound great, it sounds pretty good.

I've never really understood the point of half/full stacks and have a weird dislike of single speaker combos. This leaves me rather limited to 2x12 and 2x10 combos. What would you guys get? Is there any REAL reason to have a half/full stack? I never got it cuz, even when you play live, you just mic the cabs anyway...why lug around a 100+ lb cab and head?
Why don't you get a peavey 5150 212 used? it's pretty much metal in a box. you can get them fairly cheap.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
YES!!! Bril.iant! I love those amps! Good recommendation!!!

*goes to ebay...*
fingers and studio magic.

a good sound engineer setting your stuff up helps too.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
probably the best way of getting a decent tone, is to have two amps, one clean and one with a slab of crunch on at the same time, sounds awesome
First problem that I can see is you are using active pickups through a solid state amp. The thing that makes active pickups active is the preamp that is built into them, which is designed to push tubes harder - in your case they are trying to push the solid state circuitry harder which is basically doing nothing. You need to get a tube amp if you really want the active effect of your pickups to be present.

A new amp will do you wonders - look for something used if you can so you can get more bang for your buck.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The thing that makes active pickups active is the preamp that is built into them, which is designed to push tubes harder - in your case they are trying to push the solid state circuitry harder which is basically doing nothing.

Never really thought of it that way. Every guitar I have use active pickups (most of them happen to be Ibanez's with EMG 81/85's, actually) so it would make sense to have a tube amp. As soon as I can I'm going to be on the hunt for a 5150, Krank, SOMETHING with tubes for sure.

Whoa!...if a little combo amp is goin for over a grand, I can't IMAGINE what a half stack would go for. I can see how you could drop 6 grand, if not MORE, on some ENGL stuff.

...that looks like a pretty cool amp, though. Probably sounds great. Plus, it's a programmable combo amp that's not a modeling amp. That's unique. Don't think I've ever seen an amp you can program with presets that isn't a modeling amp.
How are VHT amps? I don't think I've ever played one. Love the dog on the amp.

I stumbled across the most expensive amp I've ever played through while pokin around the MF site. I couldn't remember exactly what it was called but I remembered it was crazy expensive, had about as many knobs and switches on the front as it did on the back and it lit up like a Christmas tree when you turned it on...which was cool...lol
Quote by rmp5s

I have decent equipment (Ibanez RGT6EX with EMG 81/85 pu's is the main guitar and through a Behringer 2x12 modeling amp)

Pretty much fail

VHT and ENGL are good
Quote by rmp5s
Wow...lots of replies in not much time! Very cool. Thanks everyone.

First and foremost, the Ibanez RGT6EXFXBK is AMAZING...I LOVE that thing. My 2 Ibanez's are my favorite guitars by far. (Kinda takes the fun out of going to guitar center though...lol) I've played nothing but Ibanez and Parker my whole life, basses and guitars, and swear by them completely. To me, NOTHING is as playable and comfortable as a Wizard neck. The only thing more comfortable is my custom 1994 Ibanez S540LTD...it has one of the original Wizard I necks. :-D Anyway...if you are a fan of thinner necks, I highly highly highly highly recommend the RGT6...any Ibanez, really.

As far as my amp goes, hey...it was cheap. I know you get what you pay for (Speaking of which...SIX GRAND, Kayman!?! What the HELL!?! lol Got any vids/mp3s of that rig?) but I unfortunately can't drop _____-thousand bucks on an amp right now. In a few years, probably...and even then, unless I'm not making a living with it, it's hard to justify spending that much on my rig so I try to keep it kinda cheap. However...I'll definately check out the ENGL stuff. It's rare that I come across an amp that I've never heard of but this is one of those times.

And I really don't think my playing is much of an issue in this case (but it has its issues...believe me...), especially now that I think about the fact that my amp wasn't even 200 bucks.

I know my amp is cheap, and I know that I'll probably never get much out of it, but I've played many high end amps and never really been able to get "that sound" with them either and this is what kinda makes me wonder about this whole thing. I'll check out the ENGL stuff...anything other recommendations?

Haha the amp system itself wasnt 6 grand, all my guitars/pickups/tubes + that comes out to ~6 grand.

My studio setup will be complete within 2 weeks, at which point clips will be going up
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by rmp5s
Never really thought of it that way. Every guitar I have use active pickups (most of them happen to be Ibanez's with EMG 81/85's, actually) so it would make sense to have a tube amp. As soon as I can I'm going to be on the hunt for a 5150, Krank, SOMETHING with tubes for sure.

Whoa!...if a little combo amp is goin for over a grand, I can't IMAGINE what a half stack would go for. I can see how you could drop 6 grand, if not MORE, on some ENGL stuff.

...that looks like a pretty cool amp, though. Probably sounds great. Plus, it's a programmable combo amp that's not a modeling amp. That's unique. Don't think I've ever seen an amp you can program with presets that isn't a modeling amp.

You know what...this might be what you're looking for

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr-Pro-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=500126
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr-1x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet-Straight?sku=609808
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I actually was eyeballin the Jr Krank. Seems very cool.

I found one of these on youtube and thought "WOW...that's PERFECT!"......till I saw it was THREE GRAND...

After reading and looking at everything I could, I really like the Engl stuff. For now I'm leaning towards one of these with one of these kinda acting like a quarter stack combo amp. That Fireball head, from all I've read, is PERFECT for what I play, it's simple and it's affordable. I love that Sovereign combo but it's just rediculously expensive for a 2x12 combo. It sounds AMAZING and it's programmable (which I REALLY like...) but ~3000 bucks for a combo is nuts. (What language that last vid is in is beyond me. Kinda tripped me out at first cuz it kinda sounds like english but just jibberish. Pretty cool...lol)

So...when I get out of boot camp and I have some coin, it's lookin like I'm gunna pick up a Fireball and a 2x12 cab for it...:-D
Last edited by rmp5s at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by mcrfobtai
A behringer amp won't cut. No matter what you do

After looking at the Engl stuff and the Krank stuff, I realize this. I always knew it wasn't great but now I have a clearer picture of its shortcomings.

But...in its defense:

A) it's better than no amp.
B) it's cheap
C) it doesn't sound too bad, really. I LOVE the chorus'd distortion tone it has...it just gets kinda iffy when you play fast. For rhythmic and/or slower playing, it really doesn't sound too bad.
well, i'd kinda agree with the mayority of folk here-tube amp is ussually the way to go, because you ussally get the tone for the price.

and now about those tight tones you are searching for - i think what youre tone lacks here is power tube stauration. its the doistortion when you drive tube amp harder, aka you put their volume very high. this distortion gives (in right combination with preamp distortion, if we talk metal tones) you punch and crisp and tightness you've been searching for maybe thats why you werent satisfied with all those amps - because you must crank tube amps zto get their full potencial.

now, if you have money, best way is to get some mesa boggie or diesel and youre set but if youre cheap bastar, you can get some cheaper medium gain tube amp and help yourself with EQ and overdrive. hell, those two can help intensely even with expencive stuff - it's always good to have them in rig.

and ofcourse, studio polishing works wonders, in studios can be done basicaly anything
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would actually be going for a Mesa Mark IV, but I haven't had any experience with ENGLs in person.

Me neither, actually. I hadn't even heard of them until this thread, actually. After bunches of reading and video watching, I really like them. i gotta find somewhere semi-nearby that has one and go try it out.
I kinda have THAT sound.... i run a Marshall JCM900 through a Marshal 1960 4X12 and my guitar is a BC Rich Warlock with a EMG 81 in the neck, i also have a MXR 108 EQ which does WONDERS, i love that thing.

once i get my new guitar a BC Rich KK sig V i`ll have about $2600 into my rig. i think you`d be hard pressed to beat my tone for that kinda money, i`m on a VERY tight buget which everything i bought was more then i could afford i just made myself afford it.

My amp is very tight and now i godd everything running perfect it`s really good i like it. AHELL of alot better then a crappy LINE 6 Spider II 75HD stack i used to have, oh god that thing just turns to mud at gigging volume, my nephew has one which is holding my Marshall back because i can`t go past 5 really, and i start drowning him out.

but my tone has alot of gain but is still clean gain, you can hear every note and the high end is AWESOME. and it`s very tight and punchy now.

pretty much ya to get THAT sound you need a really good amp.
You don't need thousands to get a 'pro' sound.

My little palomino + my g400 gets some amazing sound that could definitely be characterized as pro or similar to what you might hear on a record. And it cost me around 600 bucks, amp + guitar.