I'm buying a Telecaster from a guy who got it second hand as his first guitar. He said it had custom leather pickups when he got it, but he installed the original Tele pickups because the custom ones were touching the strings.

So I'm kinda scratching my head here. Is it possible to make leather pickups? Or at least, some kind of pickup cover made of leather? Is he mistaken that it's leather? Either way, I can investigate it when I get the guitar. (he's giving me both the original and the custom pickups)
He probably meant to write Luthier.

Custom made luthier pickups makes perfect sense.
Quote by end_citizen
Well, sometimes I pick up my guitar by it's strap. One of my guitars has a leather strap. Thus I have a leather pick up-er.

that was a terrible joke yet still i laughed.
haha
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
maybe its a small brand off pickups?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by end_citizen
Well, sometimes I pick up my guitar by it's strap. One of my guitars has a leather strap. Thus I have a leather pick up-er.

haha
The Life = A Place To Waste Energy
Guess I'll have to wait to see it for myself. Will post pictures if it is a leather pickup cover.
Quote by Øttər
This is the closest I can find.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/El-Dorado.gc

And yes, you could make pickup covers from leather, but the actual pickups are magnets and wire and stuff.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Turns out he meant pickguard. A leather pickguard, which he lost soon after removing it.