I recently removed a pickup from my guitar and I used the diagram on Seymour Duncan's website for 2 humbuckers, 2 volume, 1 tone, 1 3 way switch and it wasn't how my guitar was wired. I removed the pickup anyway since I was replacing it with a new one, but I was wondering, should I wire the new pickup into the guitar how the old one was, or should I rewire the wires to the pots in my guitar to match how it is on the site? Oh yeah, I removed a JB from the bridge of my guitar and am replacing it with a X2N, so I'm not sure if they're wired the same way. Thanks.
Gear:
Jackson Pro KE3 Kelly
ESP DV8-R
VHT Deliverance 60
VHT Fatbottom 2x12 Cabinet
The color code is different for different brands. Duncan has a chart with the color codes for other brands it should be with the wiring diagrams.
Here's a link to it.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Oct 30, 2008,
It depends entirely on what the guitar is.

If it's a lower end guitar, then replacing the pots, switch etc would be a good idea, the stock wiring in Epiphones, Squiers etc is pretty poor

If you've spent the money on expensive pickups, I'd spend a bit more and replace all the wiring too, it's not expensive or particularly difficult
what about generic ones? what are the color codes on them? do they come up with some manual? cant afford those high ends ones.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
Quote by cajun_prince
what about generic ones? what are the color codes on them? do they come up with some manual? cant afford those high ends ones.

It'll be different for different cheap pickups - although it's usually not to hard to work out what the wires are doing. Check with whoever is selling to see if they come with fitting instruction.
um problems for you

the X2N is a splitcoil from what i understand
so your wiring is gonna be a little more confusing from what i gather
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Quote by roarinflames
um problems for you

the X2N is a splitcoil from what i understand
so your wiring is gonna be a little more confusing from what i gather

It's 4-conductor so it can be coil split but it can be wired as a regular humbucker too.
^^
yeah i was trying to find the wiring diagram though and nothing came up
i almost bought it without realizing that the company doesnt give you a way to wire it to a 3 way switch
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
well, I wired up the new pickup how the old one was installed, but the pickup seems to have a really low output because there's no distortion, even though I have the gain maxed, while on the neck pickup or the neck and bridge together produces distortion. Any ideas?
Gear:
Jackson Pro KE3 Kelly
ESP DV8-R
VHT Deliverance 60
FWIT: Duncan Designed humbuckers are wired differently than full blown Duncans. The red and green leads are reversed. Of course SD's website fails to mention anything about that. Not sure if this has anything to do with your issue, but I know some people may find it interesting to know.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
No, that didn't help since I don't have duncan designed pickups. I had actual duncans. Does anyone else have any ideas on why the bridge pickup is clean, but the neck pickup is distorted?
Gear:
Jackson Pro KE3 Kelly
ESP DV8-R
VHT Deliverance 60
Quote by Metal_Zodiac
No, that didn't help since I don't have duncan designed pickups. I had actual duncans. Does anyone else have any ideas on why the bridge pickup is clean, but the neck pickup is distorted?

On the Dimarzio the black and white wires hook together and get covered with shrink wrap tubing or electrical tape. The green and bare wires get soldered to the back of the volume pot. The red wire gets soldered to the first tab on the volume pot. The rest is the same as the wiring diagram you posted in post #3.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
On the Dimarzio the black and white wires hook together and get covered with shrink wrap tubing or electrical tape. The green and bare wires get soldered to the back of the volume pot. The red wire gets soldered to the first tab on the volume pot. The rest is the same as the wiring diagram you posted in post #3.
Best post in this thread, imho.

TS, if you wire a DiMarzio pickup, using Seymour Duncan colour codes, the two coils of the pickup will be out of phase with each other. This will sound weak and tinny. That's where you are right now. That's why you don't get distortion even with the gain turned up.

Wire it using the instructions zakkwyldefan79 just gave you.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Best post in this thread, imho.

TS, if you wire a DiMarzio pickup, using Seymour Duncan colour codes, the two coils of the pickup will be out of phase with each other. This will sound weak and tinny. That's where you are right now. That's why you don't get distortion even with the gain turned up.

Wire it using the instructions zakkwyldefan79 just gave you.

I wired it just like zakkwyldefan79 said, following the directions that the dimarzio pickup came with.
Gear:
Jackson Pro KE3 Kelly
ESP DV8-R
VHT Deliverance 60
Well, I just unsoldered it, cleaned the contacts, and tried again, and this time it worked. Thanks for the advice guys.
Gear:
Jackson Pro KE3 Kelly
ESP DV8-R
VHT Deliverance 60
Quote by Metal_Zodiac
Well, I just unsoldered it, cleaned the contacts, and tried again, and this time it worked. Thanks for the advice guys.

I was going to say re-solder all your contacts and if that didn't fix it there was a good chance the pickup was defective. Good to hear you got it working though.