So for school we are having a mock presidential campaign in which we have managers, advertisement teams, speech writers, and advisors. My job is the educational advisor. Were having a debate on education and healthcare soon and so far I have these points to report back on:

-Improve NCLB
-Hire highly qualified superintendents
-Raise teacher salries to relieve teacher shortage
-Focus on quality staff devlopment
-Recognize students strengths beyond standardized test scores
-More funding towards research and development
-Relieve overcrowded classrooms (more teachers can help this)
-Bring good teachers to schools that really need them

Now I'm having trouble on figuring out how to effectively improve the NCLB. I was thinking maybe less government involvement, bit I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that the opposing campaign has similar views on this, so I'm asking if you have any ideas on what I should touch up on, and that's on education in general. Oh, and what do you think about what I have so far?
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
This is easy.

Less tax money going to pointless crappy motivational speakers.
More tax money going to underpayed teachers. My moms a teacher. And yes. underpaid.
Even more money to teach in 'bad schools' helps.
Gear -

-Dean MLX
-Standard P-Bass
-Behringer Ultrabass BX300 (It can't wait to crap out on me)

they take away funding from underperforming schools. thats ****in retarded.
Quote by Soul Power
So for school we are having a mock presidential campaign in which we have managers, advertisement teams, speech writers, and advisors. My job is the educational advisor. Were having a debate on education and healthcare soon and so far I have these points to report back on:

-Improve NCLB I dunno what this is so I can't comment
-Hire highly qualified superintendents great idea as long as they're available
-Raise teacher salries to relieve teacher shortage would need cost cuts elsewhere especially as you'll be hiring more people at a higher rate
-Focus on quality staff devlopment how? it's easy enough saying that
-Recognize students strengths beyond standardized test scores see above
-More funding towards research and development R&D into what?
-Relieve overcrowded classrooms (more teachers can help this) more teachers will help this but if you've already got a shortage how can you expect to go from one extreme (having teachers doubling up on subject etc) to the other (having enouh teachers to have smaller classes)
-Bring good teachers to schools that really need them again, easier said than done

Now I'm having trouble on figuring out how to effectively improve the NCLB. I was thinking maybe less government involvement, bit I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that the opposing campaign has similar views on this, so I'm asking if you have any ideas on what I should touch up on, and that's on education in general. Oh, and what do you think about what I have so far?

bolded comments.

I'm not from america so obviously my views on the education system over there aren't exactly well founded but I thought I'd throw my 2p in there anyway.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 30, 2008,
^
I actually do know what the NCLB is, I don't know why you are assuming I don't, and I know fixing education is easier said than done, that's why I'm asking what you think should be done. But thanks for your help anyway.

EDIT: Wait, were you saying you don't know what that is? If so, sorry about that.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by Crazy_Ivan
This is easy.

Less tax money going to pointless crappy motivational speakers.
More tax money going to underpayed teachers. My moms a teacher. And yes. underpaid.
Even more money to teach in 'bad schools' helps.

I agree!

some tax payers money was put into a local band.. and they are shit. and there recordings were shite also. and the singer cant sing.. and i though: what a waste of good money! money that could go to so many beneficial causes.. but no they waste it on these shit mofos!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Soul Power
^
I actually do know what the NCLB is, I don't know why you are assuming I don't, and I know fixing education is easier said than done, that's why I'm asking what you think should be done. But thanks for your help anyway.

I'm saying I don't know what it is.

thought that was clear.

hope it is now.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Free education for all for up to doctoral level (this is fundable, Ireland has it) and the abolition of private schools.
This would mean a fairer more even playing field where you are judged purely on merit not on who your parents are or how much money you have, which will provide a higher quality of graduate and improve both society and the economy.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Free education for all for up to doctoral level (this is fundable, Ireland has it) and the abolition of private schools.
This would mean a fairer more even playing field where you are judged purely on merit not on who your parents are or how much money you have, which will provide a higher quality of graduate and improve both society and the economy.

Does Ireland have the bolded bit? In Scotland we've also got free education to doctoral level.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by darthteet
Does Ireland have the bolded bit? In Scotland we've also got free education to doctoral level.

No, unfortunately.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
We could PUT MONEY INTO FAILING SCHOOLS instead of cutting funding. Oh but wait, thatd be logical! Thats a no no in politics.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
No, unfortunately.

There was a HM report* when I was in sixth year and my girlfriend got to see the results and discuss them with the head teacher as she was a house captain. Turns out that faith schools (I know, not actually private, but still a problem I feel) actually get better results than non-denominational schools.

At my uni I've only met a small handful of people who aren't from private education.

It reeks of education being a privilege not a right, if you ask me.

*big nationwide report that is done every so often that the school shits their pants over.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
they just need to make high school harder than it is. and introduce more real life information instead of useless history facts. high school should be more specific they need to make it more like a trade school.

high school is so easy if you don't get above a 80 you should be deemed unfit for society and killed.
Quote by darthteet
There was a HM report* when I was in sixth year and my girlfriend got to see the results and discuss them with the head teacher as she was a house captain. Turns out that faith schools (I know, not actually private, but still a problem I feel) actually get better results than non-denominational schools.

At my uni I've only met a small handful of people who aren't from private education.

It reeks of education being a privilege not a right, if you ask me.

*big nationwide report that is done every so often that the school shits their pants over.

-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by fudger
they just need to make high school harder than it is. and introduce more real life information instead of useless history facts. high school should be more specific they need to make it more like a trade school.

and screw over those who want to go on to academic things?

Quote by element4433
BALANCE them

The rich are given more opportunities
why must I get less of an education because I am poor?

Think, if I move to a different school
I can get a completely different education
and I have to compete with kids from everywhere to get into university
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Lemoninfluence
and screw over those who want to go on to academic things?

well they should be more specialized lie in if you are interested in going in to the medical field take more sciences instead of deal with the everyday run of the mills classes. the high school education is so vague it kills me. i don't think i learned anything outside of french and chem all throughout high school.
Quote by fudger
well they should be more specialized lie in if you are interested in going in to the medical field take more sciences instead of deal with the everyday run of the mills classes. the high school education is so vague it kills me. i don't think i learned anything outside of french and chem all throughout high school.

A diverse education is a good thing. It's good for a society to have an education on a broad range of subjects. For example when voting for a candidate his/her stance on nuclear deterrence might be examined. If I was a mathematician and only studied maths I wouldn't be able to make a very informed decision. However, if I had studied history, physics and politics at school I'd at least have some knowledge on the topics that my vote will affect and so can made my decision accordingly.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain