SOO...

All I listen to now is metal, usually nu-metal and death metal.

My fav bands are Trivium, COB, Killswitch, All That Remains, Ill Nino, and then some more radio friendly bands like Flyleaf and Linkin Park, you get the idea.

I want to explore other genres of music, mainly because all the songs that really are my favorite songs are incredibly hard to play and it's killing my motiviation. What is out there melodically that is similar in structure or whatever you want to call it to metal, something you guys I think I can like?

Specific bands to explore would be nice if you can. Thanks!
flyleaf and linkin park..if u play that.....what drugs are you on?
Quote by CJE
I punched my friend out of a desk and yelled "FATALITY."
Best. Study hall. Evar.
Or like the time I yelled out "WHY DOES IT BURN WHEN I PEEEEEEEE????"
Best. Library time. Evar.

Quote by slaveofsatan
I yelled "I leik t3h mudkipz" in my grade 9 orientation.
if you want to get away from metal go check out metallica's new cd. if you cant play that. then your really doomed and for the solos just play e minor pentatonic patterns sloppily as fast as you can with way too much wah pedal. no but seriously uhhhh go play some clapton or zepp.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens~jimi hendrix

My Gear:
ESP kH-202
Crate FXT 120
yamaha 500(keyboard)
1967 fenderbandmaster halfstack
schecter c1 hollow body
Pedals:
original crybaby wah
flutter pedal
boss mt-2
Quote by PissInMyShoeses
If you think Linkin Park is incredibly hard to play, you're doomed.

Try black sabbath, led zeppelin, hendrix, deep purple...
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Lol, maybe I said all this wrong, Flyleaf and Linkni Park is incredibly easy stuff for me. I've been playing them for months, its the harder metal bands that I really cant do.
Try learnin some Opeth. It's still technically metal but the music has characteristics of progressive, jazz, and blues so technically you won't be playing metal all the time when you play Opeth.
So you want something with some heavier guitar playing that isn't metal, but still has some similar stylistic aspects and is accessible? I think that's what you're saying.

1) Coheed and Cambria: They have some riffy songs that require some ability, but they are accessible.

2) Deep Purple: Try Highway Star for the soloing. It has a neoclassical sound/approach, but it can be learned without TOO much pain.

3) Mogwai: they have a lot of pretty, ambient tunes, but there are also some that are quite loud and powerful.

4) Soundgarden: No explanation required.

5) Rage Against the Machine: Some crazy solos, but the riffs are simple and a lot of fun to play.

6) Deftones: Easy, heavy, awesome.

7) Stone Temple Pilots: They have a lot of variety in their songwriting. Pretty accessible.

8) Faith No More: Jim Martin played some mean riffs, but they're pretty simple.

None of these bands are metal (or even close) and I think they have some good stuff as far as guitar playing. Good luck with your search.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
hahahahahahaha if you think songs by any of those bands are hard to play then you most certainly fail.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by terrencemaddox
So you want something with some heavier guitar playing that isn't metal, but still has some similar stylistic aspects and is accessible? I think that's what you're saying.

1) Coheed and Cambria: They have some riffy songs that require some ability, but they are accessible.

2) Deep Purple: Try Highway Star for the soloing. It has a neoclassical sound/approach, but it can be learned without TOO much pain.

3) Mogwai: they have a lot of pretty, ambient tunes, but there are also some that are quite loud and powerful.

4) Soundgarden: No explanation required.

5) Rage Against the Machine: Some crazy solos, but the riffs are simple and a lot of fun to play.

6) Deftones: Easy, heavy, awesome.

7) Stone Temple Pilots: They have a lot of variety in their songwriting. Pretty accessible.

8) Faith No More: Jim Martin played some mean riffs, but they're pretty simple.

None of these bands are metal (or even close) and I think they have some good stuff as far as guitar playing. Good luck with your search.

Thanks a lot man, you really helped!!
you should check out jazz fusion its bumping and upbeat with nasty guitar playing.
some CD/artist you need to check out would be.
John Scofield-Bump
Pat Metheny-Bright Size Life
Miles Davis-Tribute to Jack Johnson(it came out in 1970 nothing to do with who you think)
all great guitarist.
other suggestions:
Herbie Hancock-Head Hunters
Phish-Junta
Medeski Martin and Wood-Uninvisible

you just need to break outside the box and explore something you don't normally listen to. it help out with my creativity and help elevate my playing.
Quote by fudger
you should check out jazz fusion its bumping and upbeat with nasty guitar playing.
John Scofield-Bump
Miles Davis-Tribute to Jack Johnson(it came out in 1970 nothing to do with who you think)
all great guitarist.
other suggestions:
Phish-Junta

you just need to break outside the box and explore something you don't normally listen to. it help out with my creativity and help elevate my playing.

this man makes sense
if you think a song is hard when you're learning it, remember how much cooler you're going to feel once you can play it. i can't tell you what to listen to because i dont really know you, but check out some jazz, if you like it, it'll open up a whole different side to music.

edit: listen to fudger
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by fudger
John Scofield-Bump
all great guitarist.
other suggestions:
Phish-Junta

Who is the guitarist on Uninvisible?
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
Who is the guitarist on Uninvisible?

well there isn't a guitar it was kinda under other suggestions. my comment all great guitarist was directed to John Scofield, Pat Metheny and John McLaughlin who does the guitar on A Tribute to Jack Johnson.

but i had to throw some medeski martin and wood into my list they are just dirty.
Quote by etays69
SOO...

My fav bands are Trivium, COB, Killswitch, All That Remains, Ill Nino, and then some more radio friendly bands like Flyleaf and Linkin Park, you get the idea.

I want to explore other genres of music, mainly because all the songs that really are my favorite songs are incredibly hard to play and it's killing my motiviation. What is out there melodically that is similar in structure or whatever you want to call it to metal, something you guys I think I can like?

2 things, Stop Listening to Linkin Park, and PRACTICE.

Never quit the metal, the metal is part of your soul, to quit it is to quit life itself.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by domenic_665
Dream Theater

+1,000

but if he can't play flyleaf or linkin park, i think a petrucci lick is kinda out of his skillset LULZ.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by thomaserak
you cannot destroy the METAL!

THE METAL WILL PREVAIL!!!!

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by etays69
SOO...

Wait, so the only metal band you like is COB... doesn't sound like you are into metal as is.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Wait, so the only metal band you like is COB... doesn't sound like you are into metal as is.

Killswitch is metal dude, i know it has more of a hardcore slant but it still is metal and so is trivium.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
before you get "out of metal", why dont you listen to real metal instead of just the mainstream/commercial "metal"? i do enjoy most of the bands you listed, but there's sooo many better bands if you explore a bit...

galneryus, wintersun, opeth, dream theater, sikth, between the buried and me, the black mages... those are some of my favorites anyway, you can find lots more in the metal forum.

Quote by Necrophagist777
Killswitch is metal dude, i know it has more of a hardcore slant but it still is metal and so is trivium.

from a necrophagist fan?...
Quote by cloud041089
before you get "out of metal", why dont you listen to real metal instead of just the mainstream/commercial "metal"? i do enjoy most of the bands you listed, but there's sooo many better bands if you explore a bit...

galneryus, wintersun, opeth, dream theater, sikth, between the buried and me, the black mages... those are some of my favorites anyway, you can find lots more in the metal forum.

from a necrophagist fan?...

oooooo big tough internet man. I think killswitch is metal. maybe not the vocals but the instruments are. just because something is popular or isnt super heavy doesnt mean it isnt metal. It's just my opinion though.

i agree he needs to find some better bands. arch enemy, BTBAM, Opeth, Lamb of God, Necrophagist, Becoming the Archetype, Devildriver, Heaven Shall Burn, In Flames etc.

if he wants some simple riffs, pantera's are tough to beat also.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
i didnt say anything about popularity as to whether or not a band is metal its all in the sound. killswitch were plenty heavy, but still metalcore.
Quote by cloud041089
i didnt say anything about popularity as to whether or not a band is metal its all in the sound.
black sabbath is metal... COB is metal.

of course i agree with sabbath and bodom.

if you listen to the vast catalog of killswitch songs instead of just the singles, i would think you would categorize them as metal.

if you don't call this metal, then you must have big differences in your opinion of metal than me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08mLHw7IdCE

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
of course i agree with sabbath and bodom.

if you listen to the vast catalog of killswitch songs instead of just the singles, i would think you would categorize them as metal.

if you don't call this metal, then you must have big differences in your opinion of metal than me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08mLHw7IdCE

i have their whole discography.. including s/t. lol. if thats metal, what's metalcore for you?
Quote by cloud041089
i have their whole discography.. including s/t. lol. if thats metal, what's metalcore for you?

well i consider metalcore to be metal, i guess thats the issue, im not big into all the subgenres. theres metal and then theres hardcore imo and that line is blurred a bit even. i agree killswitch is the epitomy of metalcore.

ITS ALL HEAVY, AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
well i consider metalcore to be metal, i guess thats the issue, im not big into all the subgenres. theres metal and then theres hardcore imo and that line is blurred a bit even. i agree killswitch is the epitomy of metalcore.

ITS ALL HEAVY, AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.

I really don't agree but w/e I'm not even going to bother trying to change your mind.

I don't even agree that the song you posted is heavy.

I really don't agree but w/e I'm not even going to bother trying to change your mind.

I don't even agree that the song you posted is heavy.

well with the gore not core as your motto, i can see that. I agree its not super heavy, like an impending doom, dying fetus, CC, necrophagist, Napalm death etc. But in the grand scheme of all of musicdom killswitch is pretty heavy.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
2 things, Stop Listening to Linkin Park, and PRACTICE.

Never quit the metal, the metal is part of your soul, to quit it is to quit life itself.

You love A7X and have a Demon Hunter avatar and you're preaching about Metal and telling someone to not listen to a certain band? Don't get me wrong, Demon Hunter pretty much got me into Metal and I don't mind some A7X but you should realize how you look when you talk like that considering your tastes. I agree with the whole Metalcore=Metal too but still.....

Anyway

Nighwish has some Metal stuff that's easy and fun to play. Nemo has an easy solo. Metallica, Death and Black Sabbath can give you some good material as well....I can't think of any more at the moment.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
You love A7X and have a Demon Hunter avatar and you're preaching about Metal and telling someone to not listen to a certain band? Don't get me wrong, Demon Hunter pretty much got me into Metal and I don't mind some A7X but you should realize how you look when you talk like that considering your tastes. I agree with the whole Metalcore=Metal too but still.....

Anyway

Nighwish has some Metal stuff that's easy and fun to play. Nemo has an easy solo. Metallica, Death and Black Sabbath can give you some good material as well....I can't think of any more at the moment.

Where do you get the idea that all i listen to is metalcore?

Say that to dying fetus, death, morbid angel, arch enemy, meshuggah, carcass, suicide silence, Nevermore, necrophagist, cannibal corpse, napalm death, opeth, amon amarth, enisferum..... need i continue.

just becaue i have DH avatar and a a7x motto thing doesnt mean i don't know my "real" metal! so if i changed my avatar to a CC album cover, that would mean i couldnt talk about blues? absolutely ridiculous argument.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Nov 1, 2008,
because you telling him to stop listening to Linkin Park would be like me telling you to stop listening to Avenged Sevenfold

as for the threadstarter, i'd suggest checking out The Fall of Troy
some challenging guitar parts, but nothing to hard, and a lot of fun to play
Quote by dminishedthingy
because you telling him to stop listening to Linkin Park would be like me telling you to stop listening to Avenged Sevenfold

as for the threadstarter, i'd suggest checking out The Fall of Troy
some challenging guitar parts, but nothing to hard, and a lot of fun to play

Well A7X can actually play there instruments sooooooooooo......

this is a stupid argument that will go on till the end of time.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
i'm not arguing about how good those bands are, as i can't stand either of them
but that bears no relavence to my argument; you said stop listening to Linkin Park because you don't like the band and wanted to look cool for bashing a mainstream band on the internet
Quote by dminishedthingy
i'm not arguing about how good those bands are, as i can't stand either of them
but that bears no relavence to my argument; you said stop listening to Linkin Park because you don't like the band and wanted to look cool for bashing a mainstream band on the internet

well i don't think im trying to look cool by bashing a mainstream band since i love a mainstream band (A7X).

but, i took offense to someone challenging my knowledge of the metal genre just because i happen to enjoy 2 bands which aren't really a metal in a lot of peoples eyes.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Woah I'm visiting outside the Metal forum.

I feel sick.

Anyways hurf durf sincere lack of mettul am I right?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one