So my PRS SE that i got like two months ago isn't staying in tune. (WOW i hadn't realized its been this long)

The strings feel fine, (no rust or anything) but they won't stay in tune at all. BTW they are stock strings. Call me a retard yes, but i didn't know that strings went out of tune when they were old. So is this the case? Cause i got a pack of elixers that right now i'm too lazy to throw on but right now my epi lp special II (a $150 guitar that has never been set up and has daddarios from like 5 months ago on) is staying in much better tune.

Suggestions?

PS DON'T CALL ME A NOOB. I KNOW I AM.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
FYI, the giant "DON'T CALL ME A NOOB" is more likely to make someone do just that...especially when you type in all-caps.

It's likely the the strings, as stockers usually are not very good. The Elixers won't stay in tune at first, either, but once they stretch out you should be fine.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
FYI, the giant "DON'T CALL ME A NOOB" is more likely to make someone do just that...especially when you type in all-caps.

It's likely the the strings, as stockers usually are not very good. The Elixers won't stay in tune at first, either, but once they stretch out you should be fine.

i've grown up on forums like these and that caps don't call me a noob thing was a really subtle joke. See, i'm a noob to guitar not forums. Dude you should see my flame skills. Anyway, in retrospect it is easy to take the wrong way, as you did.

On topic: I've also heard about putting part of a pencil in the nuts? but i'm not sure exactly how to do it. Cause my prs has a non-locking tremolo that i don't use much but i heard that the graphite thing works.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Oct 30, 2008,
some "factory" strings are "just ok" when you get them. Most are terrible. Many stores automatically slap decent strings on a guitar when they get them while setting it up too. Some unfortunately do not and you get the strings everyone's been using to "test out" your guitar. They may visually look ok but they certainly are not.

If you're having staying in tune issues then you need to put new strings on first to see what's going on. Put them on and then do bends on them like crazy. I usually grab them and shove hard back and forth and then tune bend hard tune bend hard tune etc until it generally stays in tune. Usually a good yank/bend/whatever 5-6 times and tuning in between is all that is needed. As you get to G, B, E it needs less stretching in my opinion. Of course be careful with the B and E as they will break easier so only bend a little bit and tune and then wait and do it again. In my experience bending too much on them for B and E when first installed causes them to pop. You need to gradually work them up to being stretched waiting a little in between stretches.
Guitars:
Legend Guitar Company OM-307QM,
Gitane John Jorgenson Gypsy Jazz Guitar,
Ibanez AG-85,
Gibson Johnny A Signature Custom

Gear:
E-MU 1820M, Guitar Box Pro, Aphex 204, 1404, Boss OC-2, QSR, Roland Cube 60, Guitar Rig 2, Crybaby 535Q
Alright so i'm changing my strings now- problem though.

I've successfully done stop-bar bridges many times, but this through the body thing isn't working. I got the string loosened and cut but the end with the ball isn't coming out of the body and i'm super pissed.

What am i doing wrong?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Sorry to double post but, Update:

I changed my high-e just fine, but the a still isn't coming out of the body... its like really stuck in there i guess. What do i do?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
You're doing it wrong.

*ahem*

A PRS not staying in tune is a rare thing. Chances are you're winding the string around the tuners wrong; the strings might be slipping.

Should probably just take it into a store and give them a tenner to restring it for you - don't forget to watch how it's done.
AH i don't need to be patronized i don't need to learn how to string a guitar -.-

Just this guitar is being retarded because the string is refusing to come out of the body
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Seems like you string it wrong.

Thats the way to do it.
After you did this, stretch the strings heavily by pulling them. Tune it again, stretch it again, tune it again, done.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Seems like you string it wrong.

Thats the way to do it.
After you did this, stretch the strings heavily by pulling them. Tune it again, stretch it again, tune it again, done.

He said he hasn't changed them yet, but he can restring it already. He said the STOCK strings are going outta tune really easy
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
ooooooh, then he might try to restring first?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Read!

Quote by DaddyBarbs
Sorry to double post but, Update:

I changed my high-e just fine, but the a still isn't coming out of the body... its like really stuck in there i guess. What do i do?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
ow, my bad.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
i've had problems with the strings sticking in the holes for thru-body tailpieces and tremolo systems, unfortunately i can't remember how i solved it, i think it was mostly just using force, but its understandable if you don't want to try to force them out. are the strings the standard ends or are they bullet ends like fender strings? (I don't see why a stock PRS would have fender bullet strings though.. but those strings have a tendency to get stuck in the tailpiece)
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I get the ball end stuck in the stop tail issue with my Epi LP. All I usually do is jam a nice thick string through the other side and use that to push out the stuck ball end. Id use some needle nose pliers to push the thicker string in with. worst come worst you can remove the stop tail and immerse it in hot water to get the metal to expand or try some penetrating oil like WD-40 to give it a hand in getting loose.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by DaddyBarbs
So my PRS SE that i got like two months ago isn't staying in tune. (WOW i hadn't realized its been this long)

PS DON'T CALL ME A NOOB. I KNOW I AM.

Hey! I've had my SE custom for two months now *High Fives*

...Trem, or no trem? Mine just has the stoptail.
Quote by Hypnotisation

Quote by DaddyBarbs
Cause my prs has a non-locking tremolo that i don't use much but i heard that the graphite thing works.

Read?
Quote by Hypnotisation

u have a se custom eh???... then y did u lie and say u have a custom 22 in the post pictures of ur gear thread. anyway if u havent gotten it out yet just trying using alot of force if ur ok with it.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
u have a se custom eh???... then y did u lie and say u have a custom 22 in the post pictures of ur gear thread. anyway if u havent gotten it out yet just trying using alot of force if ur ok with it.

My mistake, i missed out the SE. Since i posted pics of me with it it's quite obvious that the guitar ISN'T, in fact, one of the more expensive ones.

Apologies for any physical damage caused to you due to my mistake, it wasn't intended. Thank you for pointing it out.
Quote by halikus
I get the ball end stuck in the stop tail issue with my Epi LP. All I usually do is jam a nice thick string through the other side and use that to push out the stuck ball end. Id use some needle nose pliers to push the thicker string in with. worst come worst you can remove the stop tail and immerse it in hot water to get the metal to expand or try some penetrating oil like WD-40 to give it a hand in getting loose.

JAMMING A STRING throught the other side should do it.

if your careful heat the string with a soldiering iron near the problem area.
DaddyBarbs:

Finally solved! I got myself the STANDARD SE 24! Came with a very bad tuning problem, But now i use the whammy bar and stays in tune.

The problem usually is with the nut, File them, make sure the strings are absolutely free in that passage and use lead which acts has a lubricant. I use 10 Guage strings, and that has good tension as well, Watch the video below, Scott henderson talks about setting up the tremolo bar. Hope it helps.PRS guitars are great..

^correct, an improperly cut nut is usually the cause of tuning problems which can be fixed by correcting it and keeping it lubricated.

but this thread is 9 years old, I think the OP will have solved the issue by now.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp