My drummer tells me that he's going to do some jazz drumming for a while. He says that once he switches back to metal it's going to be ten times easier. He also said that most crazy metal drummer started or played jazz guitar for some period in their carrer.

I think it sounds like a good plan because when I'm playing jazz there's alot more chords and takes more control and timing and what not. I could also incoprate my jazz experience into my metal.

Does this seem logical? Should we go jazz for a little then come back to metal?

if so are there any sites we can check out to get some quick lessons?
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
There are MANY, MANY metal musicians who studied jazz before metal, and actually that's where they get a lot of odd-timed rhythms and such from.

But yeah, it sounds like a good idea, I'm gonna try and learn some jazz soon too.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
It'll probably help a lot with your knowledge of music theory, it sure did for me.

And go for it. Chris Poland and Gar Samuelson did.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
It seems like a very good idea. Playing jazz will teach you fret and change positions more cleanly and to reduce unwanted string noise. I found that when you play on a clean tone you hear and pay attention to these aspects that would otherwise be covered up by having a lot of distortion.

Can't really tell you if it's going to be beneficial for your drummer though.

Good luck
Quote by ouchies
Don't do jazz just to improve your playing, do it because you want to play it.

+1
exactly, or you won't be able to draw much of anything from it.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Quote by ouchies

This. And you know other genres can help too. Bluegrass, flamenco... Its all about taking influence from other genres and bringing into your own.

Dont just say you wanna learn a style because other people do it. Do it because you want to.

I could also incoprate my jazz experience into my metal.
QUOTE]

You guys seems to approve of this idea. I'll speak with my guitar teacher and check out some jazz songs.

and I think that site looks like it has alot of useful information.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Alex Skolnick plays for both Testament (if you don't know them, they're a thrash metal band that sound like Metallica's first few albums) and the Alex Skolnick Trio. Marty Friedman played for Megadeth and also played jazz stuff. Hell, look at Between The Buried And Me, they'll play both jazz and metal in the course of one song.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Play the music you want to play. You don't become a good metal guitarist by forcing yourself to play jazz. There's nothing wrong with being good at both and playing both
Quote by Andy6688
Playing jazz will teach you fret and change positions more cleanly and to reduce unwanted string noise. I found that when you play on a clean tone you hear and pay attention to these aspects that would otherwise be covered up by having a lot of distortion.

Yes and no. Playing clean means that you focus on getting pick strokes and legato even in tone and volume but playing with gain forces you to kill string noise and sympathetic vibrations more and they're much more noticeable through the natural compression that gain has. Any player should practice with both to have perfectly clean playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I believe that maybe a classical approach would be better than jazz.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by Pepefloydean

How so?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Pepefloydean

I don't think that playing fingerstyle on a nylon-string is going to help with sweep picking that much. It's too different of a style to be all that helpful in terms of technique. Now, if you meant being influenced by the sound of classical, as many metal musicians are, that's quite different.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by Sonicxlover
Alex Skolnick plays for both Testament (if you don't know them, they're a thrash metal band that sound like Metallica's first few albums) and the Alex Skolnick Trio. Marty Friedman played for Megadeth and also played jazz stuff. Hell, look at Between The Buried And Me, they'll play both jazz and metal in the course of one song.

they sound nothing like metallica's first few albums, and he also played in Savatage and trans-siberian orchestra if im not mistaken
Quote by ouchies

Or do it becuase it will benefit you as a professional guitarist.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I don't think that playing fingerstyle on a nylon-string is going to help with sweep picking that much. It's too different of a style to be all that helpful in terms of technique. Now, if you meant being influenced by the sound of classical, as many metal musicians are, that's quite different.

I meant the influence by the sound of classical.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by to_the_grave
Its thrash of course it sounds like metallica's first few albums.

Testament dont sound anything like Metallica. Slayer is thrash...and I am pretty sure they sound absolutely nothing like Metallica...
Andy
Quote by beau05
they sound nothing like metallica's first few albums, and he also played in Savatage and trans-siberian orchestra if im not mistaken

Listen to A New Order as in the album, it sounds a lot like Ride The Lightning. And yes he played in those bands, but that's not the point I was trying to prove.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Pepefloydean
I meant the influence by the sound of classical.

It's been done to death and then some. To me the fusion of jazz with metal produces much more inventive music. Check out Cynic, Atheist and Linear Sphere for evidence.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Listen to A New Order as in the album, it sounds a lot like Ride The Lightning. And yes he played in those bands, but that's not the point I was trying to prove.

new order is by far my favourite testament album, and unfortunately ive missed how it sounds anything like RTL

however, i do apologise for the other misuderstanding
Nice one Zaphod... I'd agree. Listen to Cynic, way before its time that one. Opeth too.

Banana Man, your drummer has a point. Learn as much as you can, the theory behind the techniques and styles, and then fuse it.

Another to listen to would be Sikth . Wish i could see them.. ugh. Once again, its merely principles followed and applied.

Good Luck
Quote by evolucian
Nice one Zaphod... I'd agree. Listen to Cynic, way before its time that one.

If you like Cynic you should definitely check out Linear Sphere, they're awesome squared.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by beau05
new order is by far my favourite testament album, and unfortunately ive missed how it sounds anything like RTL

however, i do apologise for the other misuderstanding

Aww come on, I guess it sounds closer to Master of Puppets, but it does sound like Fight Fire With Fire and such.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I've met young jazz guitarists who never learned rock/metal. They don't know any of the bands or history, can't bend a string, do vibrato, etc. Any style takes time to learn.

I studied jazz after neoclassical metal and it usually requires you to understand way more about the guitar, theory, even reading music which helps you in any style.
Yes, learn jazz.
That way, you're not playing power chords all the time.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
the only way playing jazz is going to help your metal playing is if you havent had experience reading music, and you are playing jazz off music. it could also give a little soloing experience as well, but overall, the styles are completely different it will improve your music ability overall but not really in metal.
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
Learn jazz because you want to play jazz, not because you think it will make you a better metal player. If you go into it with that mindset, all you will learn how to be is a half-assed jazz player.
12 fret fury
Quote by Banana Man
My drummer tells me that he's going to do some jazz drumming for a while. He says that once he switches back to metal it's going to be ten times easier. He also said that most crazy metal drummer started or played jazz guitar for some period in their carrer.

I think it sounds like a good plan because when I'm playing jazz there's alot more chords and takes more control and timing and what not. I could also incoprate my jazz experience into my metal.

Does this seem logical? Should we go jazz for a little then come back to metal?

if so are there any sites we can check out to get some quick lessons?

As it's been said..play jazz to play jazz, not because it will make you a better musician (it will), but because you enjoy it, dude.

Tomas Erak, who writes all of the music (sans the bass parts since the addition of Frank) for The Fall of Troy, is heavily influenced by jazz (drums, bass, guitar, etc)..you can hear it in many of his songs (which are sick).

There are plenty of other musician w/ Jazz or [any other] influences..sorry if I got sidetracked, but in short:

study different things because you truly want to and enjoy those things..broaden your horizons, especially your musical ones, whenver you get the chance..

also:

Jazz drumming will most likely result in CRAZY rhythm improvement..for your drummer's sake (and your own)..
Chris Broderick.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed