i am in a metalcore band
i guess you could say we're slightly 'successful' in our area
at least for our age, were 16-17 year old kids
and we play a bunch of local shows and have a good solid fan base
played with some of our influences

we have a vocalist.
he really doesnt like metal or metalcore. he likes
'hardcore' stuff, like black my heart etc. but hes been in this band
for awhile and sort of helped us get off the ground. hes also somewhat popular (hes probably responsible for half of our fanbase)
but heres the thing - he takes our metal music and makes it sound like generic poppy metalcore and hardcore shit, we want like brutal black dahlia heavy stuff. his stage presence is sort of lacking too.
hes only in the band because he likes playing shows, so he says.
and lately, his GF has to come to every practice.

this guy is literally one of my best friends. like in the top 3.
but i know a guy who wants to do vocals and used to do vocals for another local band, he is exactly what we want. and he has killer stage presence. i talked to him and he wants to do vocals for our band..

should i kick out our current screamer?
i dont know how it would go over, and i dont want to ruin our friend ship but im willing to be its unavoidable.

but MUSICALLY, and from a professional point of view, i really want a different screamer.

tips / advice please
only horses and kangaroos kick
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Quote by loves2sp00ge
his GF has to come to every practice.

the thing is like..

i dont really have any legit reason to kick him out
other than i know someone who could make us sound way sicker
man, get two vocalists, that would be so badass.
most hardcore bands have two vocalists anyways dude.
just don't let him arrange your pieces.
hmmm two vocalists actually isnt a bad idea dude
i think i might run with it
thanks alot
Quote by tona_107
man, get two vocalists, that would be so badass.
most hardcore bands have two vocalists anyways dude.
just don't let him arrange your pieces.

That's not a bad idea. They can do trade off verses or something like that.
Quote by pwrmax
That's not a bad idea. They can do trade off verses or something like that.

Ya man, or trade of chorus and verses if the guy has more of a poppy voice he can rock off the chorus a la alexisonfire, except that's a little typical these days.
However if you're good, it really doesn't matter.
Either way, I think it's a good idea-r.
Get both, be like 3 Inches of Blood.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by tona_107
Ya man, or trade of chorus and verses if the guy has more of a poppy voice he can rock off the chorus a la alexisonfire, except that's a little typical these days.
However if you're good, it really doesn't matter.
Either way, I think it's a good idea-r.

Yea its always killer to hear some hardcore screaming, and in the chorus a clean high voice comes in. like in "Confined" by As I Lay Dying
The "core" in "metalcore" isn't just there for show you know? If he wants to add inject some hardcore into the band's music, I see no problem there. I don't see how the hardcore influence turns your music into generic poppy metalcore though.

Assuming he really is your best friend, I suppose you guys can talk it out and come to some sort of agreement. If he helped your band take off, then I you'd be quite a dick to just boot him out. Assuming you want to go the two vocalist route, just try to make sure they both get along with each other. I don't think your friend would take it too well if he has to sing alongside his "replacement". But then again, I doubt he'd take it well either if he got kicked out.
Quote by loves2sp00ge
i am in a metalcore band
i guess you could say we're slightly 'successful' in our area
at least for our age, were 16-17 year old kids
and we play a bunch of local shows and have a good solid fan base
played with some of our influences

we have a vocalist.
he really doesnt like metal or metalcore. he likes
'hardcore' stuff, like black my heart etc. but hes been in this band
for awhile and sort of helped us get off the ground. hes also somewhat popular (hes probably responsible for half of our fanbase)
but heres the thing - he takes our metal music and makes it sound like generic poppy metalcore and hardcore shit, we want like brutal black dahlia heavy stuff. his stage presence is sort of lacking too.
hes only in the band because he likes playing shows, so he says.
and lately, his GF has to come to every practice.

this guy is literally one of my best friends. like in the top 3.
but i know a guy who wants to do vocals and used to do vocals for another local band, he is exactly what we want. and he has killer stage presence. i talked to him and he wants to do vocals for our band..

should i kick out our current screamer?
i dont know how it would go over, and i dont want to ruin our friend ship but im willing to be its unavoidable.

but MUSICALLY, and from a professional point of view, i really want a different screamer.

tips / advice please

There's a few things to think about here.
1. You say 'he's probably responsible for half of our fanbase.'

If that's the case, if he leaves he could well take that fanbase with him.

2. You say 'he takes our metal music and makes it sound like generic poppy metalcore and hardcore shit'

Then obviously the fanbase you have built up prefers 'generic poppy metalcore and hardcore shit'.

3. You say 'we want like brutal black dahlia heavy stuff.'

But if you suddenly change your style you'll probably lose most of your fanbase who prefer 'generic poppy metalcore and hardcore shit'.

See what I'm saying? What you are planning would not be good for business and many would say you should be thinking about what's best for the band.
Now, I understand that you would prefer to do something different so the ideal solution is a side project.
Same band lineup but with a different singer playing different stuff under a different name. If this is succesful, it will build up it's own fanbase who will love your stuff as much as the other fanbase loves the other band.
You will have fulfilled your personal musical desires and widened your earning potential by tapping into a different fanbase. Play gigs with one band supporting the other and the audience for both bands will have grown.