Hi there, I've just started playing this week, and I am using a Yamaha FG-180 red label my mom used to play a longggg time ago. I did a quick search on it and it seems like its a pretty decent guitar. Alot of people noted that the strings were too close together, and far away from the frets. So i was wondering:

1) Is there anything I need to do (besides tuning) to a guitar that hasn't been used for this long.

2) The strings do seem very close and I am having a VERY difficult time not hitting the next higher string accidently when fretting chords, regardless of how much i have my fingers bent. So would having the strings spaced help me?
Last edited by mikec222 at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by edusty2010
Clean the guitar, maybe take it to a local shop and ask them what they could do? Replace the strings too if you haven't already.

new strings always make me feel better.
Has the guitar been stored in a climate controlled environment? Meaning, has the humidity and temperature been kept constant while the guitar was stored away or was it just left to sit somewhere, like in an attic, with no attention paid to it until now? This is very very important to know. If it's been neglected, first thing you'll want to do is DETUNE IT. Get that tension off the neck now. If left tuned up, there's considerable stress placed on the bridge, and if it's dried out, you could crack the soundboard just by tuning it up. Then you need to start humidifying it. The wood is more than likely very dry and will need about a month or so of treatment to start coming back to life.
Of course a new set of strings is in order, thorough cleanup(if needed) and a visit to a reputable luthier wouldn't be a bad idea, just for a good overall checkup of it's condition.
It's been stored in the room next to the furnace. Constant room temperature and fairly dry conditions. I tuned it yesterday so hopefully I havn't ruined it already. Do the strings need to be replaced just because they've been sitting around? I dont think they were ever used much.

and thanks alot for the help!
Quote by mikec222
It's been stored in the room next to the furnace. Constant room temperature and fairly dry conditionsThis is troublesome to me. Read below for more.. I tuned it yesterday so hopefully I havn't ruined it already. Do the strings need to be replaced just because they've been sitting around?Yes, they should be replaced even if they're just old. They'll sound terrible anyhow. I dont think they were ever used much.

and thanks alot for the help!

Here's what I'd do if I were you. Remove all of the strings and go about giving the guitar a thorough cleanup. Polish up the exterior, clean and treat the fretboard, and shine up the fret wires. Get some light machine oil like 3in1 and use it on the tuner knobs right at the point where the knob turns(easy to see, just turn the knob and dab a drop right where the stationary part meets the rotating part).
Then install a new set of strings on her. It won't do any harm to the guitar to have all the strings off for the cleanup, even if it sit's overnight without strings, so don't worry about that. Once you have the new set of strings on it, get some tension on them, maybe halfway to tuned up, then let it rest like that. Meanwhile, get a humidifier going to feed that baby some moisture. No doubt that wood is thirsty as all hell and needs some TLC to come back to life. Just take it day by day. After a week or so, you can tune up to standard, but don't rush it if the wood is really dry.
After a month or so of humidity treatment, she ought to be back in shape. You'll want to try to keep the rH level in that room about 45-55% to maintain the guitar's health. You can do it just as easily inside of a case with an acoustic guitar humidifier. Planet waves makes one that works really nice. You just squirt a syringe full of distilled(always use distilled) water into it and then slip it in between the D and G strings. The strings keep it suspended inside the guitar.