This probably won't be happening for awhile but I'm going to be building a neck through guitar shaped like Jerry Garcia's tiger. It will have a mahogany/maple/mahogany neck, 1" thick mahogany sides sandwiched between 2 1/4" thick pieces of quilted maple, either a mahogany and maple backplate. 2 humbuckers (dimarzio air zone neck and dimarzio whammy bridge) and a single coil in the neck (a great one out of an old ibanez i sold the guitar but kept the pup) . 1 tone, 1 volume, at least an on-off-coil tap switch for the humbucker more if I can find any interesting wiring options for single coils, suggestions? SG style output jack, les paul scale length, strat style string through bridge, angled back headstock with quilted maple veneer, mahogany and maple truss rod cover. I'm going to use the biggest roundover bit I have access to on the body sides. I'm going to carve the top a little bit too nothing too much like a less paul though. Any ideas, sugestions?
Last edited by 420 FREAK at Nov 26, 2008,
Sounds cool. We'll need a lot of pictures of this, it sounds amazing.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Sounds cool. We'll need a lot of pictures of this, it sounds amazing.

lol yea I'll probably take more pics...there's going to be a lot of gluing and hopefully I don't make any mistakes on the body sides quilted maple is expensive.
Well it looks like this is going to be happening probably not starting it for a little bit until I get money and parts together but I got a piece of maple for the back and front. Shipping is a bitch I'm probably going to buy a big board of quilted maple sometime for guitars.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250317006570
Here is what the fingerboard should look like, I decided to go with figured cocobolo after seeing this pic I'll be ordering it in a few days from a member on project guitar. It is the top 2 boards.
From Erik? Admbwr speaks highly of his work, so you should love it, I wanner get some boards from him but its expensive

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
From Erik? Admbwr speaks highly of his work, so you should love it, I wanner get some boards from him but its expensive

Yup, I wanted one with no radius so I could radius after doing the inlays and after doing a post there a few people recommended him. His prices aren't too bad $25 plus $10 for radius plus $12 for shipping, it's not much more than stewmac but you can't combine shipping with other guitar parts.
Last edited by 420 FREAK at Nov 3, 2008,
That cocobolo is beautiful, man. i can't wait to see this finished even though you said it won't be for awhile...
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
That looks a little too busy for my liking but if you could pull it off itd be awesome..
Quote by bv310
That cocobolo is beautiful, man. i can't wait to see this finished even though you said it won't be for awhile...

Yeah I was going to go with some stripy ebony, It's going to take me a couple weeks probably to get the parts and stuff. I'm going to take more time with it since it's more complicated than my other ones it'll still probably be like less than a month lol. I'm going to be in crutches so it'll be a little harder to work but I'll make do.
I also might use some cherry burl I have around for turnings on the lathe for the backplate and truss rod cover if it's big enough.
I just remembered I had some old small pieces of cutting boards my dad had given me to turn on the lathe or something. It would look great for the back plate and if I choose a spot with a thin piece of wood so there would be 3 different kinds it would look cool for the truss rod cover too. So I'll probably re-saw and sand some pieces of them tomorrow. There like these:
http://www.michaelhumphries.com/images/pboards.jpg
This is taking longer than I thought. I've got to wait till the last guitar I built sells than I can start. I got some blanks for the backplate and truss rod cover. I also decided to go with a padouk neck that will be unfinished from where it meets the body. I'm not sure on the fingerboard anymore.