I have one of my Guitars in drop C with 10-52 and I want to try drop B but I'm not really sure what gauge.

I kinda like DR strings so I was looking at Jeff Healy's set 10,14,18,32,44,56.

Would this be a good set to get? I don't really want the 3rd string to be wound either, I'm not sure if it is on this set. I would also like to keep the high strings small if possible. GHS has a 10,13,17,36,52,60. Is that too big?

Can somebody suggest a set?

Is .10 too small for drop b?

Sry for all this questions guys, I want to get it changed soon! And I also know that there will be a lot of adjustment being done to my FR.

Thanks a lot guys
I use .12's in C standard, and it feels a bit loose for my tastes.
If you use 10s in c I'd atleast go to 11s if not 12s.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I got the Ernie Ball 12-56 strings for my Ibanez, and i can play brutally low tuned stuff like cannibal corpse, nile, etc. with ease. The Ernie ball 12-56 strings are great and they actually make your guitar sound brutal-er. Surely a must buy for a truely brutal metal player
13-56 balls are great in the higher notes, but a little floppy on the low E. If you can find a 13-60 set you will be very happy for B. Ps. YES, 10 will not work in Drop B, or if it does it will be awfully sloppy.
I use 10's in drop B, they work perfectly fine.
Don't take me too seriously.

Live Life
Quote by pacoasterrider
13-56 balls are great in the higher notes, but a little floppy on the low E. If you can find a 13-60 set you will be very happy for B. Ps. YES, 10 will not work in Drop B, or if it does it will be awfully sloppy.

+1

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Have you tried detuning with the set you have right now? It won't be that huge of a difference.
Quote by frozen-dirt
Have you tried detuning with the set you have right now? It won't be that huge of a difference.

i use 10-52 and its too floppy for drop c, let alone drop b. he needs to up the gauge for sure.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
i was playing a set of 9-42's and could bend the bottom string up to the G (2nd from top) string in drop C, and that's not a good thing. Horriable buzz as well. You just need to set you're guitar in B, get it to a shop and have it professionally set up with that set of strings as the brand you're going to use all the time. Make sure you only pick one, so the guy can Innotate it well as well as raise/lower pickups to balance them, and make sure the action is in check.

Putting .10's in drop B would be as loose as Paris Hilton, and we dont wan't that now do we.
I'm in B standard (BEADF#B) and i'm using 13-59. its a 7 string set but just without the high E
this yields a nice tight feel on even a 25" scale guitar.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i still say either 11 - 54 or 12 - 56. I have the 12s on my Spitfire and I use it for Drop B and Drop A, and 12s are pretty perfect for Drop B, slightly floppy on the low strings for Drop A and G# (the latter which I have gone down to once or twice). 12s on the high end provide really good tension, so i'd say no more than that for Drop B, or even A.
Quote by McMetal
I got the Ernie Ball 12-56 strings for my Ibanez, and i can play brutally low tuned stuff like cannibal corpse, nile, etc. with ease. The Ernie ball 12-56 strings are great and they actually make your guitar sound brutal-er. Surely a must buy for a truely brutal metal player

Cannibal Corpse doesn't tune down *very much*. They play 7 strings in either B, Bb, A. Which the equivalent 6 string tunings would be E, Eb, D.

Strings don't make your sound any different, and larger strings aren't necessarily better depending on application. You don't need huge .56 gauge strings to be metal.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

Strings don't make your sound any different, and larger strings aren't necessarily better depending on application. You don't need huge .56 gauge strings to be metal.

What? Strings make a big difference in your sound.
If it's the same tuning no. If you are going from 2 year old strings to a fresh set yeah it'll sound way different. Fatter strings are claimed to produce a "thicker" sound. Whereas smaller ones are supposed to be more trebly. I don't buy it. I use .56's for D standard 'cause I like the tension.
Quote by sargasm
I tune down to drop b with 11's.

I also play 11's in standard.

Whatever feels comfortable is what you should go with.
Yeah dude, for drop B, you definitely want to get 11's or 12's and seriously consider re-doing your intonation and action as well due to the gauge change and lower tuning. I use C# standard for one song of mine with 10-52's (which I normally use for standard or Drop D) and I think they are too thin. The thicker strings will also fill out the sound a bit more as well.

On another note, I seriously don't know why so many guitarists tune down now. The only credible reason I can think of is to compensate for singer's range. I think going below B (which is seriously pushing it) is going too low, guitars aren't meant to be tuned that low all the time, buy a 7 string if you intend to tune low.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
On another note, I seriously don't know why so many guitarists tune down now. The only credible reason I can think of is to compensate for singer's range. I think going below B (which is seriously pushing it) is going too low, guitars aren't meant to be tuned that low all the time, buy a 7 string if you intend to tune low.

why would he need to get a 7 string if he can achieve what he needs with a detuned 6? if a 6 is set up right, it can be tuned to pretty much whatever it wants.. lots of people might not LIKE low tunings, but that doesn't make it wrong.
^ Mate, I never said it was wrong, a couple of the bands I listen to do it, but I sort of am missing the point nowadays when heaviness is directly proportional to the amount of strings you use i.e. more strings=more power. Tuning low + two or three strings does not equal power. It was merely a side remark that if you are going to tune to Drop B (with all strings) or B standard on a 6 string, why wouldn't you get a 7 string in the first place, a guitar that's set up for that, and I am fully aware that guitars an be setup for low tuning, I built one, but they aren't designed for low tunings, effects on neck tension and what not, but mroeso on a comment that everyone I see is tuning down nowadays, and it's sort of becoming a bit trivial.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
It's all about the individual's guitar, and the players preference. I have guitars that can play in C standard fine that have 9-42s on them, because I take the time to set it up properly. I also have a guitar with 11-52 on it, and its in F#. Yes, up, not down.
Quote by IncubusMan999
^ Mate, I never said it was wrong, a couple of the bands I listen to do it, but I sort of am missing the point nowadays when heaviness is directly proportional to the amount of strings you use i.e. more strings=more power. Tuning low + two or three strings does not equal power. It was merely a side remark that if you are going to tune to Drop B (with all strings) or B standard on a 6 string, why wouldn't you get a 7 string in the first place, a guitar that's set up for that, and I am fully aware that guitars an be setup for low tuning, I built one, but they aren't designed for low tunings, effects on neck tension and what not, but mroeso on a comment that everyone I see is tuning down nowadays, and it's sort of becoming a bit trivial.

I've noticed it's directly proportional to wanting to get that famous low "chunk" from a palm mute on a zeroed note. Rather than equalize and learn how to do it properly they just tune lower and lower to compensate.

I'll admit I started in drop C, but moved it back to D standard for the added flexibility in having the E, Eb notes on the neck.
Quote by sargasm
some people just like low tuned notes. for myself.. i like the droning type sound i can get from the 5 extra notes i have below E. they just don't sound QUITE right in e.. almost nasally.

if people are so concerned about losing their range tho.. they should just tune to open C major.

CGCGCE - lowest note is a C(only a semitone away from B), and you keep your high E
Uhh... unless I read your post wrong...

Tuning down means your first fret is no longer an F#. If you tune down to D standard for instance the first fret is actually an Eb. That's why the sound is different. However in D standard if you played the 3rd fret all the time you'd be playing an F#.

So to play a song in E standard, then drop to C means you'll be playing the same frets, but totally different notes. Don't believe me? Check it on your tuner.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

Tuning down means your first fret is no longer an F#. If you tune down to D standard for instance the first fret is actually an Eb. That's why the sound is different. However in D standard if you played the 3rd fret all the time you'd be playing an F#.

So to play a song in E standard, then drop to C means you'll be playing the same frets, but totally different notes. Don't believe me? Check it on your tuner.

i'm quite aware how detuning works.. its something you come to pick up after 13 years of playing.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

If you haven't noticed, tuning down gives a different feel and different character to the notes.

Same with tuning up.
I played with .10s for ever in B and I actually like them better than the .11s I have! I had my action really low, like high enough to barely not buzz and low enough to shred somewhat.
Quote by StratoTele
The punji sticks only work if you use your own feces. Most brand names aren't reliable.

All I gotta do is put on a cool face...
i think it's also worth noting that Pepper and Kirk of Down use GHS 10 - 52s and they tune down to C# and Drop B.
Like people have said, go with what's comfortable. I have at times tuned to Drop C with 9's and 10's, so I'm sure 11's could get away with Drop B, although to be safe I'd say maybe try 12's? But just get what's most comfortable.