sorry but i tried the searchbar and couldn't find the gear recommendation thread.

anyway.

right now i own a Fat Strat Squier and a Fender Frontman amp.

I am looking to spend around $500 dollars at Christmastime on the best all-round guitar possible for the money.

I am looking for something very versatile, as the two artists i most like to play songs by are David Gilmour/Pink Floyd and Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad. It sounds like a Stratocaster make would suit me, but i'm open to suggestions of any other brands as long as they have the best all round sound and playability for the money.

Weight/looks is not an issue.
Considering you already have a strat style guitar I would be looking at a new amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Considering you already have a strat style guitar I would be looking at a new amp.

thanks. any ideas on what sort is good for my budget?
500 dollars the max? Are you gigging, do you plan to? Is classic rock mainly what you play/what else do you play?

For that much I'd be looking at the peavey classic 30 and maybe the fender blues jr if you aren't gigging.

Crate v series is also worth a look too.
well, i might have maybe 200 more by then, but yeah 500 is what 'im going for now.

and i don't really think of SYL as classic rock, more industrial/extreme metal. So i'd really like something that can cover those two genres at least.
Extreme metal would be a bit harder, maybe a used flextone.
Depends what you want. You could gig with a 50 dollar amp if it was micd up but I wouldn't recommend it.
what is your closest major city - we'll check craigslist for ya and tell you what we see.

you can gig with a Crate V18 for less then $200 btw - but you can do better if you stretch your $500. Guitar is fine for now as kevin said.