Hey everyone,

Im learning My Sweet Lord by George Harrison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQkylt8PX5g

My main question is about using a slide though. Ive never had to use one on a song before until now. So I tried and it doesnt sound really good at all. It sounds almost out tune or something when I do it. When I play without the slide, it sounds fine but then when I add the slide in I get this out of tune sound.... anyone know what Im talking about? Its hard to describe. Its really whiny.

Is there a certain technique for using a slide? Anyone have tips? Do you have to press down with it at all or something? I just rest it on the string and move it up and down.

I have a metal slide probably a mm or two in thickness.

I really need help on this!

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by aaronob at Oct 31, 2008,
From my limited experience with slide - just rest it on the string.

And if it sounds out of tune, well, it probably is. You have to properly intonate each note, as the slide takes away the advantage of frets. You can still use frets as visual reference, though.
the slide has to be right over top of the fret for it to be in tune, and you should have atleast one finger draging behind the slide to mute the over tones.
+1 ^
Also most slide stuff is done in open G tuning not E . so that may also be why it sounds out of whack. I believe that the only strings that stay the same in both tunings are the D and G strings. do a search on open G to be sure of this.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Make sure you also mute the strings behind the slide... sound stupid, but you'll get a much more clear sound from the note you want to get from the slide.

Another thing... it's easier to play with a slide if the action of the guitar is set a little bit high.

Beautiful son by the way, it's one of my favourites, and it's a lot of fun to use slide on.
Do you think maybe it could be the slide? I was talking to one of my friends at school and he thinks maybe its the metal slide thats doing it... that maybe a glass slide would be better.

Does it really matter though? Do they have different tones?
Quote by aaronob
Do you think maybe it could be the slide? I was talking to one of my friends at school and he thinks maybe its the metal slide thats doing it... that maybe a glass slide would be better.

Does it really matter though? Do they have different tones?

It's not the slide, it's your technique.

Slide guitar is completely different from regular guitar.

What is your guitar tuned to?

Also: make sure the slide is right over the fret . If it's behind, the note will be flat.

Also: Use vibrato.
Quote by imgooley
It's not the slide, it's your technique.

Slide guitar is completely different from regular guitar.

What is your guitar tuned to?

Also: make sure the slide is right over the fret . If it's behind, the note will be flat.

Also: Use vibrato.

My guitar is in standard tuning.... as I dont really see how Id play My Sweet Lord in a different tuning since Id go to chords during the chorus. Or maybe theres some way I could?

What do you mean by right over the fret? Right over the fret board marker?

Vibrato sounds like a good idea. Ill try it.
they probably have one guitar playing the chords and the other tuned to open G for the slide parts. You may not be able to do the whole song on one guitar.
Put the slide over the actual steel part of the fret and do not press down on it. Just glide it across the string.
Quote by GOLDIE93
they probably have one guitar playing the chords and the other tuned to open G for the slide parts. You may not be able to do the whole song on one guitar.
Put the slide over the actual steel part of the fret and do not press down on it. Just glide it across the string.

Hm. Well, if Im playing the solo which only lasts for around 15-20sec and I gig with this song, what else do I do? Just stand there?

What is the tuning for open G? Maybe I can figure out how to play the same chords in that tuning or something.
Quote by aaronob
Hm. Well, if Im playing the solo which only lasts for around 15-20sec and I gig with this song, what else do I do? Just stand there?

What is the tuning for open G? Maybe I can figure out how to play the same chords in that tuning or something.

Well, You'd have to bring another guitar tuned to open g and quickly switch, use a doubleneck guitar set to different tunings, or unfortunately stand there. Those are the only options I see.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Don't qoute me on this as I am no slide expert but it should be Low E tuned to D.... A string tuned to G.... D + G strings stay the same.... The B string I am not sure of and the high E tune to D... Basically when you are tuned to open G you would play a bar chord by just laying your index finger across all the strings on the same fret... again.. I am no expert but this is what I have managed to pick up over the years. maybe do a search in the Blues section to find more info.
Try holding the slide right above the fret. As in, the little metal line. That should make it sound better.

Put it on your little or ring finger and mute behind the slide with the spare fingers.
Quote by chrisking92
the slide has to be right over top of the fret for it to be in tune, and you should have atleast one finger draging behind the slide to mute the over tones.

yes, also, its really just feel to get real good at it, i personally suck at slide, and think its not really fun to play besides in like open E tuning and other maybe like 4 songs in standard are fun to me mostly cus i suck at it and just dont have the ambition to get good at it, but ya the finger dragin behind it will make the sound good pretty much, not like complete string buzz shit, especially with metal