Hey guys, I am a nooby to the guitar (only played it for one month so far) and I am wondering what type of pedal do I need in order to switch between the two types of sounds for my amp? I am trying to play Fade to Black and One but the songs require that Iswitch between the two channels.

Can you guys recommend me a pedal thats fairly good? I don't want to spend a large amount of money.

Also, what do distortion pedals do? Do they make the gutiar sound heavier? If so, can't you just use the amp settings to do that?

Also, how do I plug in the pedals? Is this how it works? Guitar -> pedal -> amp. I have a spider line 6 pod 15w. can that support pedals?
Last edited by dNWaKE at Oct 31, 2008,
It's not a matter of what pedal, it's a matter of whether or not your amp is made to switch between channels. If it is, there should be a jack for a special made pedal for that amp that adjusts the channels (as well as maybe crunch/effects loops)
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
or you could just get a distortion pedal and click it on for those parts
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
any distortion pedal would do the job for you, maybe a boss ds-2 or something similar... the spider has both clean and distortion channels isn't it?
Typically, you won't need any external pedals with Line 6, just a foot switch. Don't know about the 15w Spider though. However, if you're not using f/x and you don't want to bother with any footswitches or pedals, you have another option. If your guitar has a seperate volume knob for each pickup, you can roll down the volume on the neck pickup until it gives you a clean sound and just switch to the bridge pickup when you want distortion. This is how its done with single channel amps. Hope I didn't confuse you too much.
my amp does indeed have different channels for distortion and clean. so i can jsut buy a distortion pedal and set the amp on clean and whenever i want to, just use the pedal to turn on distortion?

also, will the distortion pedal increase the quality of the distortion above the amp's quality?
Quality of sound all depends on what kind of pedal. Some pedals are strictly transistor in design and some have preamp tubes built in. The best transistor pedal i've found is the BOSS MT-2. It's got alot of tonal and gain options and is close to replicating tube warmth. However, if you're looking to really improve your tone and still get heavy, check out the pedals with preamp tubes built in.
Definately check out the Boss MT-2 MetalZone. Can't really go wrong with that one. Its about $87, but with cheaper pedals, you run the risk of getting bad tone, fuzzy distortion, and uncontrollable feedback and other noise. Check out the user reviews on this site and harmonycentral for a little extra info. Those folks tend to be pretty honest and knowledgeable.
Quote by HardRockRob
Definately check out the Boss MT-2 MetalZone. Can't really go wrong with that one. Its about $87, but with cheaper pedals, you run the risk of getting bad tone, fuzzy distortion, and uncontrollable feedback and other noise. Check out the user reviews on this site and harmonycentral for a little extra info. Those folks tend to be pretty honest and knowledgeable.

OH HEEEELLL NO

You might as well look for a nice OD pedal or something, instead of wasting your money on that, but it wouldn't sound good on a SS or digital amp.

You could try rolling down you volume knob on the guitar for cleans, but I doubt Spiders are responsive enough.

Or save up lots and get a new amp.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by ClementWave
One of these:

http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/line6-fbv2-2button-footswitch-p-1166.html

That switches between the amps channels, saves you a lot of money.

I have a question, i'm looking for this kind of switch.
Let's say that i have a Marshall MG100DFX.
And i like the clean and dist sound on it, and i want to switch between them, i don't want to have dist pedals becuse they don't get the sound i want.

Can i use this switch then? and also, can i use a wah wah pedal with this switch?
Quote by HardRockRob

LMAO

The Metalzone has some of the most bad, fizzy, noisy distortion of all pedals.