Been lurking around for a while, and during the last few months I had decided I would buy an american strat sometime soon. But after seeing "Guitar Customizing Gallery" I was inspired to make my own guitar. I've been thinking a lot about the parts, and so far I have a pretty good idea of what I want, my main problem right now is figuring out what kind of wood I want to use for the body. Probably using a clear finish, so I want the grain on the wood to look at least alright.

EDIT:
(From page two post)
Well, finally back, I just got my plans from http://www.guitarplansunlimited.com/ today, and will be making myself some copies tomorrow, as well as buying the wood. I changed the guitar around a lot while I was finally getting started too, going back to traditional LP shape, with a single cutaway. Solid mahogany with a maple top, and a clear finish, keeping the strat maple neck and fretboard. Now, can anyone recommend me a specific type of glue to glue the maple top to the mahogany body? Thanks everyone, and sorry for taking so long.
Last edited by -Raiden- at Nov 7, 2008,
I hear bloodwood looks nice.....

I'm not a fan of the fender style headstock on that guitar though...
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Yeah, but I never really liked the feel of Gibson necks, I was thinking of changing the shape of the headstock too, but it's not really important to me right now, as it'll be a bolt-on neck.
Interesting design. It sort of reminds me of the 1973 Univox U1982. It was based on a Les Paul. Some people like their tuning machines all on one side. It can really play havoc if you break a string. The strings tend to recoil up into the headstock and tangle in the other strings. Not really a huge thing though. You have a nice classic design that is sure to turn some heads. I think everyone should at least try to build a playable instrument as part of mastering their ability to play.

Keep up the good work
I reckon try to make the upper horn slightly bigger and the lower slightly smaller, and you've got yourself a beaut of a guitar! That headstock looks great there too imo

edit: disregard this, I think it's just something I have with double cutaway guitars that aren't strats. Pleeeease don't make it that ugly huge Fender Strat headstock like the one Yngwie Malmsteen uses, just do a normal one
Last edited by kenan6346 at Oct 31, 2008,
I like the guitar exactly the way you've drawn it (the top one)
Don't do the pickguard.... It looks way better without one.
Quote by -Raiden-
Yeah, but I never really liked the feel of Gibson necks, I was thinking of changing the shape of the headstock too, but it's not really important to me right now, as it'll be a bolt-on neck.

If your making the neck, the headsotck shaping is up to you.

But if your buying the neck, warmoth do lp and other 3 a side designs...
Thought it over, I'm probably just going to buy a used Fender neck from eBay or craigslist. And tomorrow I'm buying the chunk of wood.
And has anyone heard good things about Mighty Mite necks?
Last edited by -Raiden- at Oct 31, 2008,
Pickguards fail IMO

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yeah, after looking it over I decided that the pickguard does in fact fail. D: I'm just gonna take the picture off and keep looking for necks, seriously can't wait to get started.
Quote by goofyboy06
Interesting design. It sort of reminds me of the 1973 Univox U1982. It was based on a Les Paul. Some people like their tuning machines all on one side. It can really play havoc if you break a string. The strings tend to recoil up into the headstock and tangle in the other strings. Not really a huge thing though. You have a nice classic design that is sure to turn some heads. I think everyone should at least try to build a playable instrument as part of mastering their ability to play.

Keep up the good work

Ya well it just looks like a Schecter S-1 to me ya jerk
^random

looks good, what wood for the body? also, what pickups? and, a suggestion-move the switch closer to the knobs, kinda right under the bridge. itll be a b**** to route for otherwise, especially without a pickguard.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
But les pauls have the switch a similar distance from the pots and they work fine
^no, im sayin its harder to route for, not that they dont work...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Yeah, I was thinking about that too, just seemed a bit cluttered when it was next to the knobs. Still thinking what type of wood I really ought to get. As for pickups I'm thinking about getting PAFs, since they fit my style of playing, but right now that's the least of my worries, as they can be replaced. Right now I'm making a color drawing on the computer of how it should look more or less, almost done with it. Any of you guys got recommendations for wood? If nothing else I figure I'll just go along with the LP style and go for mahogany.
^Ah, sorry, my mistake

Can't you just use an extra long drill bit and drill one hole from p'ups to switch then another from switch to pots?
^yeah, but its really annoying to do...w/e

i say go PAFs

as for wood, mahogany, ash, and sapele are excellent choices and are relatively cheap.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Please try that with a 3-a-side headstock? or at least a 4 and 2? i think it really throws the balance of the guitar's image off, but the contrast of a 4/2 would be pretty neat with the offset toggle. :B
------

Shwiggity.
Does it really look THAT off-balance? I personally thought it looked alright. And I'd at least try a 4/2 but I can't seem to find many necks like those. OH and I get to go buy the wood today. Now it's either solid Mahogany or maybe experiment with a Mahogany body and flamed maple top, if I find a nice piece of flamed maple.
Forget the neck thing. Anyways hopefully I'll get the wood soon, couldn't go buy it today sadly :/
Last edited by -Raiden- at Oct 31, 2008,
Well, finally back, I just got my plans from http://www.guitarplansunlimited.com/ today, and will be making myself some copies tomorrow, as well as buying the wood. I changed the guitar around a lot while I was finally getting started too, going back to traditional LP shape, with a single cutaway. Solid mahogany with a maple top, and a clear finish, keeping the strat maple neck and fretboard. Now, can anyone recommend me a specific type of glue to glue the maple top to the mahogany body? Thanks everyone, and sorry for taking so long.
Titebond original

When you say you are 'keeping the strat maple neck and fretboard' do you mean for this build or a different one?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Oh, I meant for this project. What I was thinking of was kind of like
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom-Les-Paul-Custom-Natural-Finish-Electric-Guitar-with-Maple-Fretboard-518047-i1324107.gc
But with a one piece strat maple neck, and a curved top. I was also thinking of using the Jimmy page wiring, just so I could get more sounds out of it. (Huge led zep fan) Also the binding would only be used on the top side.

Oh and thanks for the glue recommendation. :p