Quick question...

Which passive humbuckers have a similar tone / power to active EMGs or SD Blackouts?

Bare Knuckle Miracle Man?

Rockfield Fat Ass?

Help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote by burn the stars
emg hz, blackouts

Fail.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
Fail.

+1
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
hmm...

The D Activators could be interesting - shame there aren't any more basic soundclips on the site. I don't think the big name album snippets are that useful considering the amount of processing that's going on.

The Bare Knuckle Miracle Mans seem pretty highly regarded, but are quite expensive.

I don't know much about the Rockfield Fat Ass, but the soundclip is pretty good, and someone recommended them to me.

The Swineshead XBucker could be an option, but not too sure.

Does anyone know anything about WCR pickups, specifically the Iron Man? From the clip on the site it's seems loud, but has a nice full tone.
I have a Miracle Man and it's pretty awesome. I prefer it to EMG's if I'm honest.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Ch0yc3
hmm...

The D Activators could be interesting - shame there aren't any more basic soundclips on the site. I don't think the big name album snippets are that useful considering the amount of processing that's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFY6OgKIdTo don't know if you've seen this, but take a look
i don't think the miracle man is as hot as emgs...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't think the miracle man is as hot as emgs...

+1

Only Pickup I would put up against a Emg is a Warpig (DC: 22.55k) second would be a Miracle Man (DC: 17.5k)
i dunno, my miracle man isn't all that hot. i should probably mess with the heights a bit, but my jb in my edwards is a bit hotter, if anything...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ohhh yea, anyone have the link to that guy that makes extremely hot pickups that put up a warning on his site stating not to use them in SS amps because they would cause damage lol
weren't those corduroy's rockmonkey pickups? (only some of the models)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yup you are correct...

"Beefbucker- This is my famous 25K* pickup. Combine the high DC resistance with neodymium and you get a passive pickup with the output levels of an active pickup. It's incredibly sensitive and responsive and it makes any tube amp sound like a high gain monster. There is a very strong lower mid-range resonance with tons of classic grit that you can't get with ceramic magnets. The truly amazing thing about this pickup is that even with it's 25K resistance, it doesn't sound muddy at all. The dark tone of this pickup means that it isn't a pickup for everybody. It needs a good tube amp to really perform. In fact, I would worry about damage to most solid state amps so be careful... "
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Slicer666
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFY6OgKIdTo don't know if you've seen this, but take a look

Thanks! That's a great demonstration, and it sounds like a great pickup.

Regarding Rockmonkey, I was considering the Superhot Neobucker.

I still like the sound of the Fat Ass, and they're pretty cheap here .

The D Activator is very tempting, but I wondered if any of you had any experience WCR Iron Man, or WCR pickups in general?

At the moment I'm leaning towards the following set up. The Mid and Neck pickups are both P90s but in single and hum forms respectively. What are your opinions?

Setup 7:

Neck -> Seymour Duncan Phat Cat

Middle -> Rio Grande Dirty Harry Jr RWRP

Bridge -> DiMarzio D-Activator

I'm not sure if two P90 styles is a good idea, do you think a single in the middle would be good? Fender Lace Sensor Gold? Or perhaps the Swineshead Dragonfly?
Last edited by Ch0yc3 at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by burn the stars
emg hz, blackouts

I think it depends alot on the amp. Some amps sound better with actives. Some others make them sound like one trick ponies. I have two sets of EMG's

EMG 81/85 ....and a EMG H4/H4A set.

They both sound pretty much the same except the active set sounds like the passive set run through a pre-amp. Some people don't like the pre-amped sound. Sometimes the pre-amps
in actives can make going from power chords to licks/arpeggios difficult because some notes simply have too much presence and it gets muddy. If you like the sound of EMG's but want the organic sound you can do well with an H4 set.

I use EMG H4/H4A ---> H&K warpfactor---->B-52 AT-100 (clean) --->Marshall 1960
They can really squeal. Over the years I've learned that our ears deceive us when we listen to distortion. Sometimes there's not nearly as much as we think we hear.
Also, Our settings don't have to be nearly insane as we imagine them having to be.

On my old peavey my Seymour Duncans were Garbage. Now they are so hot I'm always hitting Harmonics by mistake. The Amp make a big difference.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Nov 1, 2008,
I can't believe no one has posted the x2n, its extremely hot!
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab