this thread is for all those songs that are so fast that when you play them it feels like your arm is about to burst in flames. so i was wondering what are some songs you guys like to play that just make you say "OH JESUS WHEN IS THE SLOW PART COMING!!!!!!"

my song would have to be: To the Rats - Trivium

whats your song?
^
I have always had trouble with Master for some reason. I just can't play it. I need to sit down with a metronome one of these days and learn how to play it better. That verse riff is just a flat pain in the ass, though. I don't even know how to play the chorus, or any of the other parts besides the intro through the first verse.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
In the past few months I haven't really run into anything that was too fast for me, but then again I've pretty much just been working on songs my band is playing and most of the stuff we play isn't that hard for me.
Quote by Page&HammettFan
^
I have always had trouble with Master for some reason. I just can't play it. I need to sit down with a metronome one of these days and learn how to play it better. That verse riff is just a flat pain in the ass, though. I don't even know how to play the chorus, or any of the other parts besides the intro through the first verse.

Master is real hard, granted I've never put much serious practice into it...
and all these songs are easy...try something like tribute to randy by Michael Angelo Batio, i think that is on the verge of possible whilst being hard as hell. or try full force if you want his harder songs.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Uh, Battery by Metallica beyond doubt. It's like sprinting and then after the second chorus you start walking/cooling down, they you start sprinting again It's killer on the right hand.
Battery is okay... it's Master's down-picking that gets me. Verse riff and spider riff are insane. Try playing that with your guitar where Hetfield plays it and you're my god.
Disposable Heroes, and anything else from Master of Puppets album (right arm).

For left arm:
One song that really makes you feel pain in the left wrist, is Take No Prisoners by Megadeth. Constant fast shred-riffing throughout the whole song, and it's first when you reach the solo in the end that you can relax.
i play some pretty quick stuff but none of it is really "arm burning" i guess its the years on me but master of puppets is pretty quick and i don't find it difficult really. i guess its the tension-free style im used to
My Curse by Killswitch Engage on EXPERT!! Agony, that is

Seriously, Metallica

Master Of Puppets, Battery...

U get the general idea
unison solos in 'in the name of god' by dream theater. they're too quick.
No boundaries.
Arpeggios from Hell.
Necrophagist.
Paul Gilbert.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
meh, I disagree^. Songs that require lots of fast downs are a lot more stressful than alternate picking fast 8ths like you do in Necrophagist songs.
Let me just lift the bar here a little -

Meshuggah - Bleed
That's six minutes of a 32nd note gallop at 115bpm.

The Berzerker - Massacre
Downpicked octaves and powerchords in syncopated 16ths and 8ths at 140bpm.

The Berzerker - Deform
200bpm. Almost all 16ths and downpicked 8ths.

Just about anything by those crazy Berzerker guys, really.
May I just add that if your arm is burning whilst playing one of these songs you're playing with poor technique and need to slow down and learn to play without tension?
^ +1

that was my thing about the "arm burning" my arm doesn't burn, it fatigues after awhile but luckily i've learned to relieve most all of the tension in my playing and i suggest everyone else try to do the same.
Quote by Myung-trucci
May I just add that if your arm is burning whilst playing one of these songs you're playing with poor technique and need to slow down and learn to play without tension?

+1

i know that "arm-burning" feeling very well, cause i've been feeling it for a loooong time!!! that is, when I had no idea that it was possible to play relaxed.

work on your technique by slowing down the metronome, and learn to play 100% free of tension, its healthy and with time you'll be able to nail all that lightning-speed stuff!!!

i started to practise without any tension like only 2 months ago and I can say everything is going a hell of a lot better now!!!
Jump in the Fire is pretty difficult when you get to the second chorus
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
Is this the 'hard Metallica song' thread?

Frantic Disembowlment by Cannibal Corpse is pretty hard.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Scarified for me. Not so much burning in my right arm as my left. The string skipping licks are what tend to kick my ass(damn huge stretches

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
I think I've got the whole no tension thing going pretty well... Master just wears me out because I don't really play fast, don't play a lot of downstroke-rhythms, and don't practice enough any more...
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by akack
Battery is okay... it's Master's down-picking that gets me. Verse riff and spider riff are insane. Try playing that with your guitar where Hetfield plays it and you're my god.

Really?
Quote by CowboyUp
Uh, Battery by Metallica beyond doubt. It's like sprinting and then after the second chorus you start walking/cooling down, they you start sprinting again It's killer on the right hand.

Master is harder than Battery. But the hardest Metallica song for me is Blackened. I can never get the gallop right, and the verse riff just flat out hurts to play.

However, this man is correct
Quote by killadelphia222
Bleed-Meshuggah

I actually hurt my shoulder trying to play that song because I was an idiot and tried to play it even though I knew it was beyond my abilities.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
everyone keeps on saying master of puppets, i have no problem playing that song, yeah it was rough when i first started playing but that is because i didn't know how to relax and still play fast. it's always with songs i'm learning, i just learned how to play ignition by trivium (yeah im a trivium freak) and that breakdown/pre-chorus is tough i just can't get the picking down right, physically.
you should never feel pain or tension when you play no matter how fast it is!!! slow down to work on your technique!

but if this thread is about fast songs, then go try Spirit in Black by Slayer.

(as for Metallica, the Fight Fire With Fire solo (1st part) is one of the fastest stuff I found in their albums)
I find with a bit of practice, my downpicking can increase pretty quickly. As in a bit of practice being; Playing the song firstly at 50% speed in GP, then 75%...

Then i'll just stick the tune on, and see what i can do. I can play Creeping death pretty cleanly, but i just cant make it to that final BPM speed that they play at. So close aswell ^_^.

Solo is a no go for me atm, maybe if i sat down and tried it would come.
i mostly feel it own slower galloped stuff

like for your malice - lamb of god
or the ending of 11th hour
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
god why does everyone think MOP is a furious, arm burning I-am-never-going to play it all through downpicking?

Try playing white walls by between the buried and me, all downpicked.

I warm up by going straight through master of puppets AND Disposable Heroes without stopping, just so I can play the first 3 minutes of white walls without my arm falling off
I agree, master of puppets is not hard at all. Blackened is harder, but again not really all that much of an arm-burner. Then again, I play loads of thrash so I guess I'm just used to downpicking quickly a lot.

Try doing the verse etc. of MOP with UPstrokes though. Now that's hard!
why does everybody have trouble with master of puppets......? <easy. anyway Knee deep by job for a cowboy is pretty arm burning, with the whole C|-4-7-5-8-4-7-5-8-4-7-5-8 over and over and over + the
C|000-1h4-----000-1h4-----00000001h4-----|
G|-----------1h4-----------1h4----------------1h4|
Quote by jetfuel495
this one song that i wrote is kind of double picking all the way until the bridge... good god i was on red bull when i wrote that

the sound of truth by as i lay dying has that one riff that has like a 6 fret strech... or more i cant remember

^^ good song