I'm in the process of building a guitar, and I was wondering what pickups I should use. The woods are a quilted maple top, with a mahogany body. This guitar is going to be used strictly for metal, I have plenty of guitars I can use for cleans should the need arise.

Now, I have played both EMG 81/85's and SH-8's, but I was wondering what UG's guitar community thought of the two. I'm kind of torn between the two, since I like them both. If you've never heard of the SH-8's, they are the one's Synyster Gates uses in his guitars (Plenty of crunch.) If you've never heard of the 81/85 combo, than must have been living under a rock for the last 15 years.
for strictly metal i'd go for the emg combo. never really liked sh-8's tbh.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I think the ones in Syn's guitar are modded to his specs. they're not original SH-8
Last edited by Duncan_amateur at Oct 31, 2008,
Why would you go for two wildly different options - EMGS give you low noise and clarity under distortion...Invaders are muddy, sludgy and noisy.

If you're building a guitar then put some serious thought into the pickups rather than going for cookie-cutter fanboy choices.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, Syn's Invaders are custom wound for him, so they'll be a bit different than the regular SH-8.

I find that EMGs keep the natural tone from the wood from coming through, but thats all up to you. Passive>Active IMO
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by steven seagull
Why would you go for two wildly different options - EMGS give you low noise and clarity under distortion...Invaders are muddy, sludgy and noisy.

If you're building a guitar then put some serious thought into the pickups rather than going for cookie-cutter fanboy choices.

+1

Why don't you tell us more about what your guitar is made of, and what tone you're going for? Also, telling us your amp will narrow stuff down.
Quote by bjovi400
Yeah, Syn's Invaders are custom wound for him, so they'll be a bit different than the regular SH-8.

I find that EMGs keep the natural tone from the wood from coming through, but thats all up to you. Passive>Active IMO

I always felt the complete opposite of EMGs, I've always thought EMGs were sterile, neutral and sounded pretty much the same out of every guitar.
Emg's do sound different in different types of wood but its not going to be as noticable as passives. Example, Mahogany will still make them darker and Alder will make them a brighter but not to the extent of I cant use these pickups in this guitar because it will be to bright..... But yes with emgs you can always tell they are emg's lol the overall tone is always the same. Which honestly I love..
Quote by al112987
I always felt the complete opposite of EMGs, I've always thought EMGs were sterile, neutral and sounded pretty much the same out of every guitar.

That's what he said, I read it wrong the first two times too
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com