Poll: Which musical subculture has the most value?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which musical subculture has the most value?
Thrash Metal
20 13%
Punk
26 17%
Prog
24 16%
Grunge
9 6%
Emo
10 7%
Funk
18 12%
Black Metal
15 10%
Ska
4 3%
Music Elitism
15 10%
Rap
11 7%
Voters: 153.
Page 1 of 3
benefitted society?

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

The culture of musicians who actually know how to play music.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
The only one I really like out of those is funk...so funk!
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
Quote by Rock_Rebel
I think you forgot so many musical genres it's funny.

dude, u-g only allows a maximum of ten poll options. I chose the genres that tend to have a subculture that goes with them. Most genres don't have this, but the ones in the poll DO.
Er... Classical?

(Metal is my favorite, but where on earth would it, or any other music for that matter, be without it?)
Um, you can't put 8 variations of rock, omit jazz, classical and blues and think you can call it an unbiased poll, can you?
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Froboarder
Um, you can't put 8 variations of rock, omit jazz, classical and blues and think you can call it an unbiased poll, can you?

Amen.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
Wow, this is truly the worst poll I have ever seen. I can't believe you put down musical elitism...
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
FGS people!

it's not about GENREs...it's about musical cultures.

it's much easier to tell someone who's life is about thrash than someone who's into classical or jazz. therefore they aren't on the list. thankyou, now just vote and shut up
Quote by cd>mp3
dude, u-g only allows a maximum of ten poll options. I chose the genres that tend to have a subculture that goes with them. Most genres don't have this, but the ones in the poll DO.

Okay, I didn't know that, but, in my defense, he had a lot of subgenres listed, when generalizations could have made for a wider range.

/rant
Seriously? From that (pathetic) list, I'd have to choose rap.

How has emo had any value to society? All it's done is turn teenagers into scrawny, whiny, self obsessed, manic depressives.

And the concept behind punk is that it's meant to destroy any form of order in society.

Grunge got people to stop washing and start slitting their wrists.

Ska got people dancing like idiots.

Prog turned people into pretentious, elitist snobs.

Funk (see ska)

And metal? I personally hate metal....so I couldn't care less about its value to society.
Each genre has it's own sub-culture, and with the sub-culture comes the shit they buy. From clothes, to CDs (Am i the only one?), accessories, mp3 players, musical equipment, and bling.

Music is good for the economy. Sell your stocks, and invest in music.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Quote by agreth_3rd
How has emo had any value to society? All it's done is turn teenagers into scrawny, whiny, self obsessed, manic depressives.

And the concept behind punk is that it's meant to destroy any form of order in society.

Funk (see ska)

And metal? I personally hate metal....so I couldn't care less about its value to society.

i love how you picked rap over funk...kinda makes me giggle.
Quote by cd>mp3
FGS people!

it's not about GENREs...it's about musical cultures.

it's much easier to tell someone who's life is about thrash than someone who's into classical or jazz. therefore they aren't on the list. thankyou, now just vote and shut up

Sarah Palin makes more sense than you.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
classical. I bet I can count on one hand the amount of musicians alive tody who are as skilled as some of the classical composers.
Quote by agreth_3rd

Funk (see ska)

So, you secretly chose musical elitism, right?
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Spamwise
classical. I bet I can count on one hand the amount of musicians alive tody who are as skilled as some of the classical composers.

But there are a lot of modern classical composers...

And jazz and contemporary classical kind of goes hand in hand sometimes today...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by agreth_3rd

Funk (see ska)

nice lie there
Quote by Spamwise

*cough Andres Segovia cough* =)
Quote by angus fan16
Quote by Xiaoxi
But there are a lot of modern classical composers...

And jazz and contemporary classical kind of goes hand in hand sometimes today...

Most of the ones I've heard don't come close to matching the skill of earlier composers.
Quote by Spamwise
Most of the ones I've heard don't come close to matching the skill of earlier composers.

I agree, though, Jazz musicians tend to be incredibly talented they just went into other directions such as improvising and a different work of rhythms and harmonies.

Both are challenging, but Jazz IMO is just as admirable.
Quote by Froboarder
*cough Andres Segovia cough* =)

Segovia wasn't really a composer. He did a lot of arrangements and transcriptions, but that's different from original composition.

Quote by Spamwise

The times have changed and so have the techniques, intentions and directions. It's just new and unrecognizable by most standards, but many have as good of a grasp on composition as the household names.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by fudger
i love how you picked rap over funk...kinda makes me giggle.

The question is Which musical culture has benefited society the most? not What is your favourite genre from this list?

Besides which, there have been plenty of political rap artists. Who ever heard of a political funk musician?

Quote by Froboarder
So, you secretly chose musical elitism, right?

Hey! I like grunge, funk, punk and even a bit of ska on occasion. But that isn't the point of the thread, is it?
None of these, i would have to say Classical.

Musical elitism, are you stupid?
Just sounds like a bunch of pretentious nerds to me.
I love white guitars!
Quote by agreth_3rd
The question is Which musical culture has benefited society the most? not What is your favourite genre from this list?

Besides which, there have been plenty of political rap artists. Who ever heard of a political funk musician?

Hey! I like grunge, funk, punk and even a bit of ska on occasion. But that isn't the point of the thread, is it?

No, the point is that the TS failed.
Quote by angus fan16
It's a tie between Jazz and Blues, with Rap in a very distant second.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by agreth_3rd

Funk (see ska)

Grunge got people started in shooting heroin, not slitting their wrists. Please learn your genres.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by agreth_3rd

A political funk artist? You mean like James Brown, Fela Kuti, Sly and the Family Stone, etc, etc..

But I also want to point out that rap is obviously related to funk, IE the Black Eyed Peas.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Page 1 of 3