Page 1 of 2
has anyone here ever had the great frustration of deciding whether to use mp3 or cd wav music?

reasons for cd:

1. better audio quality.
2. no computer use required
3. cool artwork on the front cover
4. Boston EPs can be used as doorstops/paperweights/coasters.

reasons for mp3

1. Can be put on Ipod which is sooper kvlt and all the other kids i want to be like have them.

those are the reasons i can discern so far.

does anyone else have a more informed opinion on this? I can find no articles that give both sides equal consideration online.

thanks.
Reasons for mp3s:
Portable
Adjustable
Easy to share
High quality if set on 320kbps
Digital
Can not degrade

...need I go on, grandpa?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
against (this kills everything you said)

1. Necessity to get on a computer to download music, where it is then stored in soulless files.
Reasons for mp3s:
Portable
Adjustable
Easy to share
High quality if set on 320kbps
Digital
Can not degrade

...need I go on, grandpa?

No! you sound like a broken 'mp3'

Oi! c wat i did ther?
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by cd>mp3

1. Necessity to get on a computer to download music, where it is then stored in soulless files.

I'd rather get on my computer than have to drive to the nearest CD store.
XIAOXI
Well considering your name you've obviously made up your mind already. How about use CDs when you're at home, and mp3s when you need something portable?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
Well considering your name you've obviously made up your mind already. How about use CDs when you're at home, and mp3s when you need something portable?

thanks man. It's mainly cos Ipods have limited storage space and are a pain to import to if you need a lot of music/dvds.
Quote by cd>mp3

Yes, because computers are such a rarity in today's archaic world. Soulless files? Yea because CD's, which also contain digital data and is made of plastic, is so full of the blues.

Goddamn, you're stupid.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by cd>mp3
1. better audio quality.
Most people can't tell the difference between an mp3 file at 192kbps and CD quality. In fact it might even be scientifically proven.

Quote by cd>mp3

2. no computer use required
You're definitely in the minority in thinking that computers make listening to music less convenient.

Quote by cd>mp3

3. cool artwork on the front cover
True
Quote by cd>mp3
thanks man. It's mainly cos Ipods have limited storage space and are a pain to import to if you need a lot of music/dvds.

Which holds more capacity:

1. 80GB iPod
2. 200 disc case

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Abunai X
I'd rather get on my computer than have to drive to the nearest CD store.

pretty sad when you won't drive for music

laziness right there

cds all the way, even tho i do like mp3s
Quote by Xiaoxi
Which holds more capacity:

1. 80GB iPod
2. 200 disc case

how 'bout this, dickwich...

1. I PREFER CD

/thread
Quote by ZakkRox90

What the hell does driving have to do with music?

Quote by cd>mp3
how 'bout this, dickwich...

1. I PREFER CD

/thread

...did you just /thread your own thread? Good job.

You were trying to use factual argument, which you failed at. It has nothing to do with your preference.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Myung-trucci
I hate vinyl. I think it's totally over-rated, and I am a CD collector

I hate CDs. I think they are totally over-rated, and I am a vinyl collector.

But on a serious note, CDs are ok, but vinyl are infinitely superior. Infinitely. You can't even argue with that because messing with infinity equals dividing by zero. And you don't want to do that, now do you?
Quote by ZakkRox90

laziness right there

cds all the way, even tho i do like mp3s

What a stupid argument
Quote by ZakkRox90

laziness right there

How is it lazy? What is the point of driving to get music when you don't have to?
Quote by agreth_3rd
Most people can't tell the difference between an mp3 file at 192kbps and CD quality. In fact it might even be scientifically proven.

Pretty much scientifically disproven. Learn your facts before spouting them.
Gore AND Core; unite!
It's easier for me to have all my albums already ready to play, instead of having a huge 1000 album cd changer. That being said, I like to have cds, I just download the music first and see if I like it, in which case I buy the cd.

wtf spamwise don't you sleep?
Quote by nimametu
i think this link has to say more than me : http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/mp3_music_net/91735

Surprise surprise, 10/11 are advantages of mp3, with lower audio quality being the only disadvantage. But there's always lossless and wav.

TS needs to read about the economic concept of creative destruction.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Surprise surprise, 10/11 are advantages of mp3, with lower audio quality being the only disadvantage. But there's always lossless and wav.

TS needs to read about the economic concept of creative destruction.

what's that?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Every CD I've ever bought is on my computer in FLAC format, and if I want to put it on my Creative Zen I just drag and drop in Winamp. So I don't have to worry about whether to use CD or mp3, because I have both
ok.

the only way for me to go mp3 would be to put all my songs on usbs and get a usb-compatible stereo.

what do you think?
Quote by cd>mp3
ok.

the only way for me to go mp3 would be to put all my songs on usbs and get a usb-compatible stereo.

what do you think?

...put all of your songs on USB's? That doesn't even make any sense. A USB is a type of connection, not a storage device. A USB flash drive is, but it doesn't play music by itself.

Why would you need a USB compatible stereo? Just put it on your computer and play through the speakers or your iPod and hook up it up to a stereo system.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by cd>mp3
ok.

what do you think?

Why can't you just buy a decent set of speakers for your computer?
because i don't like to spend large amounts of time on my computer.

And i can't be bothered updating to a new Ipod every time Apple gets its jiggy on.

i basically want music storage that is small, can connect to a stereo and doesn't require charging/regular computer interaction.

I think usb flash drives would be best for this.
Last edited by cd>mp3 at Oct 31, 2008,
Quote by cd>mp3
because i don't like to spend large amounts of time on my computer.

And i can't be bothered updating to a new Ipod every time Apple gets its jiggy on.

Then it's not even worth trying to explain to you anything. You're one of those computer illiterates who blatantly refuses to learn about technology and then bitches every time he runs into trouble. That's fine, but don't try to talk like you know what you're talking about when you clearly have no clue.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
sigh...look dude

don't call me a bitch just because i have preferences and stick to them. I just like cds better.
Quote by cd>mp3
sigh...look dude

don't call me a bitch just because i have preferences and stick to them. I just like cds better.

You can't even read. I didn't say you were a bitch, but you bitch ABOUT things, meaning that you cry and whine like an infant. If you want to stick to CD's, then stick to CD's. You just keep making dumb arguments without knowing what you're saying.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If you could buy a record and be able to download a good mp3 of the record (included in the price) I would buy a lot more music. CD's are definitely over-rated.
MP3's

1. It's practically impossible to tell the difference between FLAC and MP3 encoded with LAME at V0. Maybe even V2.

2. You can put them on your portable MP3 player.

3. You can burn them to a disc anyways.

4. You can download the digital artwork.

5. CD's are too expensive.

I would never pay for MP3's, however.
Last edited by redh0tchilip3pp at Oct 31, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
...put all of your songs on USB's? That doesn't even make any sense. A USB is a type of connection, not a storage device. A USB flash drive is, but it doesn't play music by itself.

Why would you need a USB compatible stereo? Just put it on your computer and play through the speakers or your iPod and hook up it up to a stereo system.

You Are A Genius :P
The Life = A Place To Waste Energy
Quote by nimametu
You Are A Genius :P

It's easy to be a genius when you're clarifying basic knowledge to someone who is clearly deranged.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
What the hell does driving have to do with music?

...did you just /thread your own thread? Good job.

You were trying to use factual argument, which you failed at. It has nothing to do with your preference.

Jeeze... stop trying to make yourself look cool; you're only making yourself look like a d*ck.

And TS, why don't you just use both? I personally prefer CDs but still like the idea of having an mp3 player with me for when i go out. There is no reason for restricting yourself to only one.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Page 1 of 2