hi guys. I need advice on choosing one to hot rod my blackheart amp (it's a class A all tube if you don't know it). I'm looking for one which has these specs:
- high gain (important)
- analog (important)
- marshall-y tone (important)
- transparent (I mean it doesn't change the amp's tone when on)
- true bypass
- adds a lil' bit of grit
- has tone control/EQ
- 2 channels
- tube circuitry
- when on stage I only use pedals plugged directly to the PA system (no amp!) and I want this pedal to sound at least 7/10 itself when plugged to the amp

and plz include the price in your post

All ideas are welcomed and thanks in advance!!
Contradiciton 1. You want pedal to sound 7/10 itself without amp but not change amp tone at all.

Contradiction 2: Hi gain is ussually distortion; Marshall sounds is overdrive based and to get high gain are usually boosted by an OD pedal.

Your best bet is to buy an hi gain amp and an keeley modded Sd-1 or something to boost it if needed.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
getting all of what you requested above may be hard and very expensive to do if not impossible. personally, i'd put a tube screamer (about $130 i think) in front of the amp before anything else. you'd be suprised at what one of those can do to your sound. but, i prefer a simple set-up.
You want it to color your tone to make your amp sound like a Marshall, but you also want transparency? Colored tone and transparency are exact opposites. I'm guessing you'd prefer to color it with Marshally goodness since you listed that first. Especially since you reiterated you wanted a colored tone with your 7/10s the pedal suggestion.

You want it to be high gain, but only add a little bit of grit? If grit isn't distortion, then please define grit.

What do you mean by 2 channels, stereo output?

If it sounds great, why does it matter if it's analog or uses tubes?

Price range is very important, since you're considering tubes, I'm guessing you don't have one.

My suggestion?
Mad Professor Mighty Red

It's got Marshally tone with a nice low end.

The Tubescreamer is very transparent, especially the Keeley modded one. Whether it makes your amp sound like a Marshall depends on how much your amp already sounds like a Marshall.

xxdarrenxx, the Marshall heads are definitely high gain. They're usually boosted with overdrives because the pre-amps they have built-in are designed to give you hard-clip sort of distortion.
Quote by FlyingBeerman
You want it to color your tone to make your amp sound like a Marshall, but you also want transparency? Colored tone and transparency are exact opposites. I'm guessing you'd prefer to color it with Marshally goodness since you listed that first. Especially since you reiterated you wanted a colored tone with your 7/10s the pedal suggestion.

You want it to be high gain, but only add a little bit of grit? If grit isn't distortion, then please define grit.

What do you mean by 2 channels, stereo output?

If it sounds great, why does it matter if it's analog or uses tubes?

Price range is very important, since you're considering tubes, I'm guessing you don't have one.

My suggestion?
Mad Professor Mighty Red

It's got Marshally tone with a nice low end.

The Tubescreamer is very transparent, especially the Keeley modded one. Whether it makes your amp sound like a Marshall depends on how much your amp already sounds like a Marshall.

xxdarrenxx, the Marshall heads are definitely high gain. They're usually boosted with overdrives because the pre-amps they have built-in are designed to give you hard-clip sort of distortion.

Yes the newer heads are but Whenever someone says Marshall sound i go by the old jcm series and Jtm's

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Just buy a visual Sound Jeykll and Hyde seeing as you don't appear to have the slightest clue as to what you want...I reckon it'll cover all the bases.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-V2-Series-V2JH-Jekyll-Hyde-Overdrive-and-Distortion-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150481

EDIT

WTF? You play with a pedal direct into the PA - that guarantees you're going to sound like shit.

If you're going to do that then buy something that's designed for it.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-SansAmp-GT2-Tube-Amp-Emulator?sku=480208
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i'd recommend the MI Audio Crunch Box. it's got that marshall tone and can go from high gain to low gain. going through a PA without amp modeling would sound bad. i agree with steven seagull on that one.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
the yngwie od pedal is very transparent
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
TUUUBE SCREEAAMER.

If you don't know what you want, buy one of those; they're great

Really. If you're looking for something transparent, that's the way to go. If you're looking for something Marshall-y, listen to everyone else, but especially try one of Marshall's own pedals - the Guv'nor is pretty damn good.
maybe you guys are right. I'm expecting too much in just one pedal. maybe I should get 2, one to boost the amp & one for direct plugging.

the main reason why I'm looking for such pedal is that I ordered a sansamp GT2 from eBay 2 months ago and it hasn't arrived yet !!! sounds like it's lost so I have to get one to do both the GT2 and the boost pedal work.
Ok, so you want a pedal that 1) makes your amp sound like a Marshall but 2) transparent (and yet still high gain).

That makes zero sense whatsoever.

And to xxdarrenxx, Marshall's can get plenty of gain by themselves, they DO have multiple preamp gain stages you know and ARE used by high gain players without boosts.

I have no clue where this notion that Marshalls do not have a lot of gain came from. I guess maybe a super lead or JTM45 does not have gobs of gain (though EVH still managed to do fine with a super lead), but any amp JCM800 on should have plenty enough gain to do metal. Does it have the optimal voicing for modern metal? Perhaps not, but gain is not the issue. People need to stop saying you need a boost for newer Marshall amps.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 31, 2008,
i'm confused by why you want to plug directly into the PA...but i'm gonna recommend this, it seems to fit most of the things you mentioned:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SFX03-Twin-Tube-Classic-Preamp-Pedal?sku=159341
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by Duncan_amateur
hi guys. I need advice on choosing one to hot rod my blackheart amp (it's a class A all tube if you don't know it). I'm looking for one which has these specs:
- high gain (important)
- analog (important)
- marshall-y tone (important)
- transparent (I mean it doesn't change the amp's tone when on)
- true bypass
- adds a lil' bit of grit
- has tone control/EQ
- 2 channels
- tube circuitry
- when on stage I only use pedals plugged directly to the PA system (no amp!) and I want this pedal to sound at least 7/10 itself when plugged to the amp

and plz include the price in your post

All ideas are welcomed and thanks in advance!!

No overdrive has really high gain. Distortion pedals have high gain but they are not transparent. And I don't think I've ever heard of a 2 channel pedal. Tube circuty? This isn't an amp. There are pedal's that utulize preamp tubes but there are not very many. The best thing I can think of is the EHX English Muff'n, which is 180. It has preamp tubes and has a very Marshally sound.
And why on earth do you plug into a PA?
Quote by al112987
Ok, so you want a pedal that 1) makes your amp sound like a Marshall but 2) transparent (and yet still high gain).

That makes zero sense whatsoever.

And to xxdarrenxx, Marshall's can get plenty of gain by themselves, they DO have multiple preamp gain stages you know and ARE used by high gain players without boosts.

I have no clue where this notion that Marshalls do not have a lot of gain came from. I guess maybe a super lead or JTM45 does not have gobs of gain (though EVH still managed to do fine with a super lead), but any amp JCM800 on should have plenty enough gain to do metal. Does it have the optimal voicing for modern metal? Perhaps not, but gain is not the issue. People need to stop saying you need a boost for newer Marshall amps.

It's true.
just because they're most famous amps aren't high gain doesn't stop them from all being. Slayer, Metallica, Nile and I think Children of Bodem all use Marshalls.