I need the detailed guide to work it out. I'm thinking about replacing the stock fret wire on my epi LP with a bigger gauge but don't want to mess up with the binding, I mean I wanna do in the way that does no harm to the binding. . And I'll want to collect as many tips/ideas/lessons as possible before I really start.

Also, I'll need advice on what tools should I get (just handy, useful ones...no pro/factory device plzz). My budget for this work is around $150
Thnx in advance
Have you got a scrap guitar you can practice on?

For fretting with binding you need some 'fret tang nippers' so you can leave a over hand for the fret to go over the binding.

Does your epi LP have binding nubs? Does the binding continue up over the end of the fret?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
god, i hate binding nubs.

you need a 35+ watt soldering iron, grind a little U shaped channel into the tip to rest on the fret, to heat it up slightly (you'll see the glue start to bubble) i like to heat the entire fret then go back to the beginning, apply more heat, take a small pair of end nippers (1/2-5/8" wide), grind the face flat with a belt sander and use that to get under the fret and walk it out... SLOWLY. if you tear out any wood, save the pieces and krazy glue them back in place.

you really should know what you're doing first... granted, my first refret job was on a 1976 les paul custom .

as far as tang nippers, i posted a thread about DIY nippers for 5 dollars a while back...

not all people like the nubs - most refretters just sand them flush and overlap the fret unless the customer wants them. In that case, you can make a binding paste with some binding and acetone and after you fret, blop a little on each fret end and sand it flush. the acetone will melt the blobs into the existing binding a little.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Your gonna want to do some practice first. Your first one probably wont end up being your best work. And a neck with binding isnt the best one to start practicing with.
thnx you guys.those are very useful pieces of advice. luckily i've got a cheap copy strat neck to practise. Still, I'm confused between hammering and gluing method.what are their pros & cons?

@Absent Mind: what do you mean by binding nubs? my epi LP is an ebony custom,like this:
Last edited by Duncan_amateur at Oct 31, 2008,
hammering = requires practice to become good at it

pressing = most accurate method once you get used to it

gluing = requires opening the slots larger than press/hammer fit and using epoxy - cannot be reversed and every fret job will be difficult

what i do is when I install my frets, I'll use a syringe and put a small bead of titebond in each slot to secure the fret slot and to lubricate the wire. i also use a small triangle file and put a chamfer on the top of each slot - works well
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by Duncan_amateur
@Absent Mind: what do you mean by binding nubs? my epi LP is an ebony custom,like this:

*pic*

Well binding goes down the side of the fret board and either the fret end carries on over it (remove a part of the tang to do this), or falls short and the binding is raised up at each fret and covers up the end (frets are flush with end of fret board)

You can see them here (unfretted obviously)

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/images/fretsremoved.JPG

It looks like your guitar doesnt have these nubs, so its nothing to worry about, use the normal binding fretting method.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Gibson does the fancy fret ends on guitars with binding, epi doesnt. Pressing is a whole lot easier to get good at Ive used a hammer before but wont go back to that method any time soon. And a tool to bend the fret wire works a whole lot better than trying to do it with your fingers. I use a small amount of epoxy on the frets before putting em in. SMALL amount I put it on with a toothpick just to fill the slot but they come back out later pretty easy. I use stainless so taking em out later wont happen for a long time.