Hi guys, I was looking for a chorus pedal, and browsing around the shops, I stumbled across the Red Witch Empress chorus pedal. I took one look at the price and was turned off immediately, but the sale guys highly recommended the pedal.

He said that it was a really versitile pedal capable of lush sweeping chorus to outright weird sound that you'd not really use in typical settings.

Of course he did recommend other pedals, his comments were that "yeah, its pricy, but its really great. Top of the line."

So I was really wondering, is the Empress really worth the money. I'm really taken by it, but I dunno if the really expensive price justifies the pedal. Alternatively are there any other really goo chorus pedals I should look at - boutique or otherwise. However, it must have true bypass. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Of course it's top of the line. It's a $300 pedal.

The question is. What chorus pedals have you tried, and why didn't you like them?
Quote by FlyingBeerman
Of course it's top of the line. It's a $300 pedal.

The question is. What chorus pedals have you tried, and why didn't you like them?

I tried a few, digitech, Boss, Electro-Harmonix, MXR (They have one right, at least i remember its a MXR).

Well, its not that I didn't like them, they each did something slightly different with the tone and the chorus, but its just nothing special. Its just a chorus.

The Empress, well yeah, its just another chorus, but it sounded, erm... deep. I like the sound it put out. The sound struck me as something different. I liked it, can't say why I liked it so much, but it was definitely nice and really resonated well with me and sparkled nicely.

It was really really nice. Its really nice, but I can't seem to justify to myself to fork out that cash to buy it. As a point of reference, it would cost me $500 (Singapore dollars), but in comparison, my Krank Rev Jr Pro, cost me $1600. That's 1/3 of a new amp right there.

So yes, I'm looking for someone to say its worth the money because .....

To be honest, I can't feel good about dropping that much money on the pedal. Yes it sounds awesome, and I like the feel of the chorus, but as a comparison, the cost of the pedal is prohibitive.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
You can get a used Arion Stereo Chorus from ebay for probably around $25. Best bang for the buck chorus pedal ever.
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
Landmine LC-1 Chorus
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
I'm quite partial to my vintage flanger for chorusy tones, but the Red Witch is pretty damn good. Same goes for the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus would be a total win.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Check these out:
Liquid Sound H20
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
Digitech Hardwire Chorus (Hardwires are much better than the regular Digitech products)
EHX Polychorus (you tried the Small Clone, right? Not a big fan of the Clone Theory, but you might try that one too)
Maxon Chorus
Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus

Except for the MXR, there's a big leap in the quality of the pedals from the ones you've tried up to the Red Witch Empress. My suggestions are all in the $100-$200 range (Maxon ones are only a little cheaper than the Red Witch), and common enough that you might be able to find them at your local store. But if the Red Witch gets you the tone you want, and you can afford it, then it's worth it.
Yeah, it's a top of the line chorus pedal, but it really doesn't sound like you want to spend that much on it. I was recently looking into spending a little over $200 on a phaser pedal, when I realized I didn't need it. I decided that as little as I actually use a phaser, a used Phase 90 for $30 was a better fit for me. Sometimes the absolute highest quality, best sounding pedal out there isn't the best choice for you. If chorus isn't something that's super high on your list of priorities, I'd go with something cheaper, and apply what I saved toward gear I'd use more often. Especially considering that you can get some great sounding chorus pedals for $150 or less. I'll second the recommendations that you check out the H2O and similarly priced units.
I still think that Boss has the best chorus pedal out there........
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
I have a Marshall Supervibe chorus that I really like. It's not the best, but you can pick it up on Ebay for about 40 dollars.

I also have an EHX reissue Clone Theory. THIS thing is really good, but I like the Marshall pedal better because it let's you shape your sound more (and in comparison the EHX is only slightly warmer sounding).But the Clone Theory is really a 1 trick pony (actually a 3 trick pony).
It has 3 settings:
1 - really nice warm sounding chorus
2- crazy pitch-shifting chorus that can't actually be used for anything
3 - nice vibrato

If you don't need the BEST sounding chorus then you should check out the Supervibe because it's a great pedal that you can get really cheap, but if a chorus is really important to you then you should prabably go for the most expensive thing you can get.
Hey everyone, thanks for all the suggestions, there're more options than I would have dug out myself.

Thinking of going with the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus. The H2O Liquid Chorus looks interesting, but I'm not keen on patching my sound through a digital delay.

One point to clarify, is the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus a true bypass? I want a true bypass to minimise colouration to my clean tone. I'm not even keen on buffered or pure bypass, much less simulated bypass.

Thanks again everyone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I don't think the Visual Sound H2O is a true-bypass. But many have said that that wouldn't be an issue.

I'm trying to decide between the Visual Sound H2O and the Digitech Hardwire.
Quote by Jericho-79
I don't think the Visual Sound H2O is a true-bypass. But many have said that that wouldn't be an issue.

I'm trying to decide between the Visual Sound H2O and the Digitech Hardwire.

"Wouldn't be an issue" as in... the colouration is minimal... or something else?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 3, 2008,
Quote by ragingkitty
"Wouldn't be an issue" as in... the colouration is minimal... or something else?

I read it from someone's review on Amazon.com:

PROS: Chorus is full and lush, ranging from subtle to underwater warble and also does a decent Leslie speaker approximation. Delay is warm and goes from a quick slapback to indefinite echoes. The delay controls act like a tape delay's so it is possible to get some weird and interesting sounds by tweaking them while playing.

CONS: Not true bypass (but it doesn't suck much tone really). It would be nice to have stereo outputs. There is a definite EQ increase when either effect is active. The housing is extemely large, so it does take up quite a bit of pedalboard space. You will need to supply AC power as this pedal eats 9 volt batteries for breakfast.

OVERALL: this pedal is really good sounding and very versatile.

Does that help?
Quote by Jericho-79
I read it from someone's review on Amazon.com:

PROS: Chorus is full and lush, ranging from subtle to underwater warble and also does a decent Leslie speaker approximation. Delay is warm and goes from a quick slapback to indefinite echoes. The delay controls act like a tape delay's so it is possible to get some weird and interesting sounds by tweaking them while playing.

CONS: Not true bypass (but it doesn't suck much tone really). It would be nice to have stereo outputs. There is a definite EQ increase when either effect is active. The housing is extemely large, so it does take up quite a bit of pedalboard space. You will need to supply AC power as this pedal eats 9 volt batteries for breakfast.

OVERALL: this pedal is really good sounding and very versatile.

Does that help?

Thanks Jericho-79, sounds like its not perfect, but extremely close to what I am looking for. I'll probably go get it once I have time to go to town to pick it up.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )