Hello,

I'm planning to take everything out of a peavey footswitch(without LEDs) and putting it in a different housing, a smaller one so I can get it in my pedalcase. this is the easy part.
I also want to add a LED to each switch, this is where I've got some questions. I've read different things on this allready. Some say it's not necessary to put a resistor in line with each LED, some say it is. And if it is, what kind of resistor? And how do I attach these electronics to eachother? on a small circuitboard or not? and on and on...

as you can maybe see, I'm a noob at this so I would be really gratefull for your help.

Thanks in advance!!
to add LEDs, you'll need switches that have an extra pole, and you'll need a resistor depending on the power you have going to it. Whether you're using power from the amp, or a 9v battery or adapter inside the enclousre.
I'd really like to see more input on this, as it's a project I've contemplated as well.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Quote by Roger Vanduffel
Hello,

I'm planning to take everything out of a peavey footswitch(without LEDs) and putting it in a different housing, a smaller one so I can get it in my pedalcase. this is the easy part.
I also want to add a LED to each switch, this is where I've got some questions. I've read different things on this allready. Some say it's not necessary to put a resistor in line with each LED, some say it is. And if it is, what kind of resistor? And how do I attach these electronics to eachother? on a small circuitboard or not? and on and on...

as you can maybe see, I'm a noob at this so I would be really gratefull for your help.

Thanks in advance!!
it all depends on the resistance of the relay coils.

iirc, the valve king series uses a 14v supply for those relays.
if you use an LED in series with each switch, that will knock down 2v.
that isn't a problem the relays will still engage at 12v.

what you do need to be concerned with, is how much current will be flowing when each relay is energized. since the same amount of current will be flowing through the LED, you don't want to exceed the max current rating of the LED.

typically, an LED will produce enough light @ 1 mA. and they can't tolerate more than 25 mA.

how to determine the current? easy. get a multimeter (they're damned cheap to buy)
put it on the correct scale to measure current. then connect one lead to the tip and the other to the sleeve connection of your footswitch cable with the amp turned on.
the mode will change on the amp, when the relay energizes, and the meter will indicate how much current is flowing through the relay coil.
do the same for the ring to sleeve connection to measure the current for the other relay(s). if both of theses are somewhere between 1 mA and 25 mA, you can use LEDs in series with the switches. no resistors or switches with additional poles will be needed.

Please POST the current readings you get.
This will be good info for the next guy with the same question.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
now this is what i call help!

awesome, thanks so much!

I'll do what you said as soon as possible.

again, this is what a forum like this is all about!
okey, i just tested

...on an old peavey bandit wich makes a lot of noise, humming and stuff.
with the amp off, there is about 2 mA running through each relay.
with the amp on, there is about 2 A running through!
is that normal? can there be a lot of powerloss there?

anyway, I'm testing it on sunday on my valveking and I'll let you know more then!

bye
yesterday I tried to determine the current going trough each relay on my valveking.
though it kept moving all of the time, so I couldnt determine the values.
it's been since high school since I've done such a thing, aprox. 8 years ago now. and a crappy multimeter.

I decided I'll try putting the LED's in series anyway and if it doesn't work, too bad. it's not that a LED costs a lot of money. and if it fails I'll try again with a resistor in series.
anyone want to give me some tips on this? or maybe someone knows the correct values?

thx
so. I did it!

took apart the old peavey switch, added the LEDs and put everything in another housing.
and for three months or so it's been working perfectly!!!

no resistors or different switches were needed

hooray!!!!
Quote by drewsta42
I'd really like to see more input on this, as it's a project I've contemplated as well.

Same here. I bought a plain footswitch for my Windsor head and I want to add LEDs to it.
Can you post the schematic of the Valveking footswitch? The one I used didn't work.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI