Hey you guys, I'm 19 years old and I'm in college and I hate it because I'm not following my dreams. I know it sounds corney, but my heart is just not in this college thing and I want to drop this junk and start my music career. The only thing that's stopping me is that:
1) I have absolutely no money
2) I don't have a car yet.

I have to admit that I am so scared because what if things don't work out like I want them to?? I mean, what if I don't "make it"? Then what am I going to do with no college degree? Thank God I already have a decent amp and a good guitar, but I don't have any bandmates yet.

Please give me some advice or your thoughts on this. College just doesn't have anything to offer to me. Trust me, I know it doesn't. I live in a small town where there really is NO art community and barely a music community. So far, this is my plan:
1) Drop out of school this January
2) move back home
3) find bandmates
4) cut a demo in on a indie label
5) try to play local clubs that accept us

I have no idea what to do.
Quote by alex0203
Hey you guys, I'm 19 years old and I'm in college and I hate it because I'm not following my dreams. I know it sounds corney, but my heart is just not in this college thing and I want to drop this junk and start my music career. The only thing that's stopping me is that:

I have to admit that I am so scared because what if things don't work out like I want them to?? I mean, what if I don't "make it"? Then what am I going to do with no college degree? Thank God I already have a decent amp and a good guitar, but I don't have any bandmates yet.

Please give me some advice or your thoughts on this. College just doesn't have anything to offer to me. Trust me, I know it doesn't. I live in a small town where there really is NO art community and barely a music community. So far, this is my plan:
2) move back home
3) find bandmates

Sounds like you have a bit of an idea :P

Really, you should be looking into finding bandmates now, think ahead, have a look on myspace, it's a great way of meeting people, or just hang out at music shops, looking for people your age - it's not that stalker-like, heaps of people do it

Until then, you can't really get much else done. Although, a good idea would be (once you move back home) to obviously get a part-time job, music is much happier when your rolling in the benjamins.
Quote by alex0203

2) move back home
3) find bandmates

I feel the same way dude but I know that the music classes in college will help me tremendously so I put up with it.
well do what you love and enjoy... but... in todays world you cant make a comfortable living without a degree... yeah theres a few jobs you can make a descent living but its gonna be tough... and if you have no money, all colleges offer financial aid... so look into that... my idea would be... instead of going full time to school... take one or two classes a semester, it would allow you to have more time with your music and you would still be on your way to getting a degree... good luck man
my thoughts on this would be to continue with college and work on your music as well.
im at a sixth form college and im still working on about 3 or 4 different music projects (heavy band, softer band, acoustic duo and solo stuff).

it feels weird offerring you my thoughts cos you're older than i am but i reckon you should carry on with your education. i understand that you want to make it in music, so do i but its hard and therefore its important to have a fall back option

wishing you all the best with whatever you do in the future
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I feel the same way dude but I know that the music classes in college will help me tremendously so I put up with it.

Yep.

You don't have to choose between college and music either. Most colleges offer music classes that can help you. Apart from that, you can also pursue a career that involves music such as mixing and production. After all, a secure job related to music is much better than probably no job and playing guitar, isn't it?

EDIT: Also, you shouldn't consider going to college a big barrier that separates u from your music. There's a lot of ppl that have regular jobs and are active in a band. One of my high school teachers was in a punk band, my english one played some acoustic shows and fixed acoustic guitars, my 8th grade humanities teacher was a guitarist and lead singer in an indie band and even recorded a demo, and my english professor last year was the lead singer in an alt/metal band and had some good songs on their myspace.

You have to really consider that the chances of making a life as a musician are very, very slim. I recommend keeping it as a hobby as most of us do, but if you're still serious about it go ahead and do it, just try to have something else to fall back on if this doesn't work out.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Oct 31, 2008,
I really don't see the point of leaving college to be in a band. I am in a band currently, and am in my final year of law school, and will be a qualified lawyer in 6 months.

What the degree does is act as a fall-back for money - remember that most musicians are BROKE. And most have day jobs as well. The job gets you money to buy music stuff. The better the job, the better music stuff you can buy. You don't have to quit college to be in a band either - I can bet you other people who also go to college also want to form a band. It would be the wrong choice to leave college for music.

PS. The reason I decided to study law was so I can buy heaps of guitars. True story
Producing and mixing are hardly what I would call 'secure' jobs in the music industry. Geez... there is practically no such thing as a secure job in the music industry aside from teaching. Even A+R reps get fired on a regular basis.

Now, if your dream involves making it big, you must know that this is a real long shot, and you have to be prepared for it not to work out. Statistically, your odds aren't much better than playing the lottery. Difference is, the lottery only costs a buck and takes no time.

That said... the popular music industry (in its various forms and genres) is very much an industry of the young and beautiful. If you're going to do it, it sure as hell ain't gonna happen if you're in your late 20's. Not unless you have significant groundwork laid by that point. In any case, once you're 30, you can pretty well forget it.

So now there are two paths. You enter and become a big star as a creator of music, or you hook up with a band with someone who is already a creator of music. You don't become a star playing covers, after all.

Being a creator - You have to have the best melodies and the best songs. You have to have hooks coming out of your pores while you sleep. That comes with a combination of innate natural ability and tons of practice and listening to others. If you're just starting now, I'm going to venture to say that the bus left and you weren't on it. If you're already writing great songs, get them out there and see what kinds of responses you get from people. That skill will be your ticket.

Being a side-man - If you are not a creator, you are a side man. You get money from gigs and touring, and maybe sponsorship deals and a portion of the merch sales. This income is good as long as the band remains a viable and immediate source of income. As soon as the touring and the merch sales dry up, you'd best be dusting off your resume. You think the guitarist in Chumbawumba still makes a ton of money on merch and touring? Nope. Unless you are a creator, you are not entitled to publishing nor performance royalties - that is when your song gets played on the radio... you don't get paid. When your album sells copies by the zillions, you don't get paid.

You could be a famous musician in a famous band.... let's just arbitrarily pick John Bonham or Zakk Wylde. Unless you actually have a hand in the creative end (check the liner notes of your CDs.... look who writes the songs... and who doesn't), you can be a big rock star and still be stuck pretty well all of a sudden with no viable income.

If you finish high school at 17 and take a 2 year college program, you're still done by the age of 20. Hell... finish. You'd be foolish not to. If you start university at 21 and want to get an honours degree and then study to become a physician, you won't be done until you're 30. By the time you get a band together and get yourself out there, you will soon realize that the bus you wanted to be on left ages ago.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Oct 31, 2008,
That's right. Girls hate guys in their 30's who are broke and still live at home.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Dude! I am in nearly the SAME position! I live in a tiny community with few artists and few musicians! The only problem is, I'm not in college yet. The only option I can think of for me would be to move away to go to college.

The unfortunate thing is, most of these people are right. If you don't go to college, you don't have anything to fall back on if you don't "make it". ALL of ICP dropped out and got SERIOUSLY lucky!
Just have to reorganize your plan for ya.

2) move back home
3) find bandmates
4) spend months writing/rehearsing
6) loose a member and repeat the latter part of step 4 again
7) cut a demo in on a indie label
8) tour (and lose a lot of your own money)

With most bands (in my experience) you'll end up making maybe 11 grand a year if you get a solid regional following. Get a national following and you're looking at between 30gs and 250gs each a year (but probably around 50)

Its a risk with relatively little reward. Take a music business class and you'll find out how much artists get screwed out of money and how hard it is to make money in the industry.

Not trying to put a damper on your dreams, because you should definitely follow them. But do yourself a favor. Take classes! Move home and take some classes at your community college while you work toward your dream. Every musician that I know that are in semi successful bands are out of college or go to school full time and tour during breaks.

If you don't take my advice, I hope you find me in 5 years and say that I was totally wrong but chances are, I'm not.
For Sale/Trade:
Boss AC-2
Dunlop GCB 95

Telecaster Deluxe '72 reissue > Peavey VTX
Fender J Bass
Last edited by t0pher at Nov 1, 2008,
I guess i was in a kind of similar position, I finished school last year and really didn't have any idea what i was going to do. I ended up going to a music college and I'm loving that, as my fall back option is teaching music. So if you have your heart set on music, look into that as an option.
And you're only 19, in a few years time you might not want to do music, i know for sure that what i want to do in life can change, it has several times before. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, especially if it turns out you don't like the basket and can't afford a new one(extended analogies ftw!).
why don't you just transfer schools to a location with more of an arts/music community? go somewhere in a big city, and major in music. that seems like a win win situation to me, you improve as a musician, and get a degree.
ok here is what i think you should do. First of Finish. plain and simple. get whatever it is that ur getting, just to be safe.
and while ur at it, practice writing songs all the time, every night if you have the time.

and also while ur at it, try going busking on weekends or something playing covers to work up a bit of cash.

and also also while ur at it, make friends with musicians around campus, get your name out there so that when the time comes, you can get a band together and start writing some music.

remember, one of the most important things of "making it" is having people know who you are. people arnt going to go to a show to see a band they have never heard of before, so when you gig, do it with bands that have been around for a little while and have got a name for themselves.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?