Ok

So because my school/town is full of kids who are 15 and can shred like there's no tomorrow, but none of them have any humility or can sing while playing, i'm going to start playing rhythm guitar and singing to give myself more banding opportunities.
I'm going to practice guitar like normal, only when i learn a song i'm going to learn the vocals on top. I believe that practice will overcome any problems.

I'm going to start with these songs, in a semi powerlevelling kind of thing.

Soundgarden - Spoonman
Silverchair - Anthem For The Year 2000
Pink Floyd - One Of My Turns w/ Viking Skull - Beers, Drugs n Bitches medley
Nirvana - Marijuana
Machine Head - I'm Your God Now
Sepultura - Roots Bloody Roots
Strapping Young Lad - Shitstorm
Metallica - Leper Messiah
Mastodon - The Wolf Is Loose
Megadeth - Peace Sells
System Of A Down - Soil

any suggestions to help me in my goal will be appreciated. And yes i will check out the singing articles/stickies.

any thoughts?
Last edited by cd>mp3 at Oct 31, 2008,
Learn all of those songs and then form a band with me.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Learn all of those songs and then form a band with me.

that might just be possible.

I live in Melbourne.

keep in touch man.
Quote by fretsonfire74
Practice. The solution to most guitar related questions.

actualy thats the solution to everything
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Oh my ***ing god that pron one is like the best one ever and i have seen all of em. Congrats dude you just beat Kensai.
i'd suggest learning an entire album you really like (master of puppets is a good one) learn ALL rhythm parts. no solos.

play SLOW at first. rhythm is about perfection and timing

then play along to it once a day, the whole thing through

try learning it without tabs if possible
yeah thanks.

one thing, why the whole album suggestion? just wondering.

and yeah being a nazi for practice on your own terms is pretty key.

any comments on the medley? i was thinking of having it in between the two parts of One Of My Turns.
edit: you know, in between the quiet and loud parts.
Last edited by cd>mp3 at Oct 31, 2008,
Just to clarify, i'm fairly confident that rhythm guitar is a lost art and that i could bring it back.

after all, the song song that inspired me to play guitar was Innervision by System Of A Down. Great rhythm, as the riff sounds great and only uses one chord.

maybe i should learn that too....
My school/town....

Melbourne.

riiiiiiiiiight

*hops along*
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by ~Moby Dick~
northern gay ass country where no-one but me lives....

erm...Siberia?
yeah, i think tallica are going to be a great influence on me, as Hetfield is a great player in his own right for playing that shit AND singing.

as are most of the singers from the other songs i listed.
You're going to try and play Shitstorm before Leper Messiah? I suggest switching them.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by cd>mp3
Just to clarify, i'm fairly confident that rhythm guitar is a lost art and that i could bring it back.

Not really. There are lots of us.

Anyway, you don't really need to practice any differently than lead playing - but I think it'll help a lot if you do two things:

1. If you use effects a lot - e.g. flanger, phaser, tremolo - cut back. Feel free to add them in later, but the best rhythm tracks were ones written with guitar in mind, not that new pedal.
2. Start playing acoustic a lot.
thanks, but idon't like Oasis, and not much Green Day. Maybe i'll put Jesus Of Suburbia on there.

and no i can't sing, but i can learn man.
Quote by cd>mp3
thanks, but idon't like Oasis, and not much Green Day. Maybe i'll put Jesus Of Suburbia on there.

Not to kill your hopes, but have you seen American Idol or the X-Factor? I've never heard you but singing takes a lot more natural talent then anything i've ever tried. I'm awful and accepted it, but record some stuff and good luck to you.
then learn to sing!

maybe you could use some teching for that... anyway if you can sing and play, you're my hero rigth now!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
why not practise all guitar styles? like lead and rhythm. if u have to time to practise dont limit yourself to one of the other. then when u are good enough u can sing and play your song while playing a nice solo/shred in the middle
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good
start with shit like greenday.. its easy but it'll be good to learn to sing too.. then step it up.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by cd>mp3

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you can't learn it.
I hate going up and down scales, but it helps me improve.

And also, record yourself and listen back. That way you can clearly see what you need work on; it sounds a lot different when you listen back.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Iriathz
Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you can't learn it.
I hate going up and down scales, but it helps me improve.

And also, record yourself and listen back. That way you can clearly see what you need work on; it sounds a lot different when you listen back.

riiiight.

there's enough techniques in the world to keep me practising night and day for 1000 years. I'm going to cover the shit i actually LIKE first, THEN get to goddamn Oasis (though i doubt i will, as imo i'd like to get into Limp Bizkit before Oasis, when i'm done with Steve Vai, Joe Satch, System Of A Down etc :P: sorry /rant)

anywho, i think i'll do lead on the side as well, as i like to solo, but i just think rhythm guitarists are more in demand in my location right now.
Quote by cd>mp3

yes keyboardist are taking the place of rhythm guitarist becasue they are more versatile.
Quote by cd>mp3

Soundgarden - Spoonman

Thats my anthem. Play it.

Not even joking. I love it