My and my friends are starting up a band soon, but what music is "in" at the moment?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by alex0203
Emo, of course.

and pop-punk *although, it really is the same thing, is it not?* as well as techno.

My suggestion? Do something that you want to do, not something you'll just make money off.
Ditch your friends and become a rapper, provided you are gangsta enough.
Quote by +}-136-{+
Ditch your friends and become a rapper, provided you are gangsta enough.

id get a cap in my ass cuz im a skinny wigga
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
and pop-punk *although, it really is the same thing, is it not?* as well as techno.

My suggestion? Do something that you want to do, not something you'll just make money off.

but is pop punk and emo actually in? in my school and in lots of others you get dissed for liking either of these genres... and what is actually emo; i cant tell XD
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
you get dissed

You sound gangsta enough to be a rapper. Why not ignore other peoples views though? Works for the rest of the Pit.
Quote by aaciseric
You sound gangsta enough to be a rapper. Why not ignore other peoples views though? Works for the rest of the Pit.

lol ... if i could rap i would be a rapper...
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
but is pop punk and emo actually in? in my school and in lots of others you get dissed for liking either of these genres... and what is actually emo; i cant tell XD

lol, well i suppose, you could class bands likes My chemical Romance, Dashboard Confessional, and to a lesser extent Fall Out Boy as Emo/Pop-punk.

What are you looking to do?
wow.. that is a horrible way to start off a band my friend.. you need to create music that is right for you, even if nobody else in the entire world liked it.. don't pander to "what's in" for example.. 10 years from now, who is going to remember fall-out boy ?? 20 years from now, who will still be rocking to van halen, hendrix, metallica, slayer (ha ha,, just kidding on that one) ..

but you see my point.. being original can also breed being innovative.. who knows where you'll end up !!! good luck..
Last edited by jshwak at Oct 31, 2008,
Quote by jshwak
wow.. that is a horrible way to start off a band my friend.. you need to create music that is right for you, even if nobody else in the entire world liked it.. don't pander to "what's in" for example.. 10 years from now, who is going to remember fall-out boy ?? 20 years from now, who will still be rocking to van halen, hendrix, metallica, slayer (ha ha,, just kidding on that one) ..

but you see my point.. being original can also breed being innovative.. who knows where you'll end up !!! good luck..

thanks
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by jshwak

but you see my point.. be original can also breed being innovative.. who knows where you'll end up !!! good luck..

He's right. 10-20 years from now, nobody's gonna know who the fu*k Fall Out Boy is. They won't remember Pussycatt Dolls, Yellowcard, Deathcab for Cutie, and Avril Lavigne will be just as memorable as Toni Basil is LOL! (you know Toni Basil? "Hey Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind"... you might know the song, but you damn sure can't remember you made it, can you??) Point made!
WHO CARES??

It doesnt matter wats 'in', make music that YOU like, that YOU want to play, that YOU want to listen to

If you try and start a band just to get radio play, or videos on MTV or just to make money, you are doing it wrong

MAKE MUSIC YOU LIKE, NOT MUSIC THAT THE SCENE KIDS WILL LIKE
I'm going to offend everyone's sensabilities on both sides of the issue: Don't focus on a genre you already like and don't play what's popular right now; Play what's going to be the next big thing. I don't necessarily mean that in a 5 year pop-cycle way either, make music that is innovative yet framed to be relevant to what's coming up as you see it.

If your goal is to reach the public (and there's nothing wrong with that goal, as it's a pretty darn big part of all great music), you are already behind if you're not ahead. There are a lot of great musicians that can be true to whatever genre and time they want, but great artists must anticipate what's coming up.

Take that bandleading forum--my simple piece of advice.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
If your goal is to reach the public (and there's nothing wrong with that goal, as it's a pretty darn big part of all great music), you are already behind if you're not ahead. There are a lot of great musicians that can be true to whatever genre and time they want, but great artists must anticipate what's coming up.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. If you want to be marketable, just look at what was popular about twenty years ago. Somwhere in that mix, with some new technological tricks mixed in, will be the next big thing . . . . five years from now.

Good advice, dullsilver. See... if you want to be big, you have to be doing what is hip at the right time. The problem is, nobody ever really knows what that is. I think it was Jim Steinman (the writer behind Meatloaf) that said something to the effect of, "If you write what is hip now, by the time it gets to the marketplace, you'll be a year behind the times." (or something like that) He's dead right.

Now given that, great songs never go out of style. If you write great songs, they can always be adapted three, four, five, ten years down the line to a style that sounds current. You simply have to write great songs. (haha.... I make it sound so easy... ) Get them out there, and get them in the right hands. If someone else thinks they're great, then you're golden.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
It doesn't matter what's in, play what YOU want to play. How do you think bands like Radiohead and Pink Floyd make it as big as are?
By the time you've seen the bandwagon, you've already missed it.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by GangsterLi
id get a cap in my ass cuz im a skinny wigga

That's problematic. Well, in that case, I suggest you start a Fall Out Boy tribute band. That's a start.
Quote by GangsterLi
and what is actually emo; i cant tell XD

emo is defined by the most popular cow at your school. if she doesn't like it, then it is immediately tagged as emo.. go figure..

although Technically, emo has very little to do with any individual person or song, it's more to do with a bands stage act etc.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by Dunjma
although Technically, emo has very little to do with any individual person or song, it's more to do with a bands stage act etc.

You heard the man. Start stocking up on razorblades. You're going to have "carve it up" onstage.
Quote by alex0203
He's right. 10-20 years from now, nobody's gonna know who the fu*k Fall Out Boy is. They won't remember Pussycatt Dolls, Yellowcard, Deathcab for Cutie, and Avril Lavigne will be just as memorable as Toni Basil is LOL! (you know Toni Basil? "Hey Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind"... you might know the song, but you damn sure can't remember you made it, can you??) Point made!

I'll remember Death Cab. I'm guessing you hate them because they've suddenly become popular (they're not in england) but they make pretty good music (even if the new albums not the best) and have been for like 10 years.

Also, TS there's nothing wrong with playing music that's popular (contrary to what some people seem to believe) as long as you enjoy what you're playing.

If you enjoy playing anything then there's nothing wrong with playing some songs that won't get you booed off the stage. However, if you don't like what you're playing then the best part of being in a band, the part where you have fun, is lost.

IMO, playing just to be unique or different is just as bad as playing just to be popular.
Do what Between the Buried and Me does and do whatever you want. Somehow a part of your music with with with "whats in"
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by smb
Dubstep

Is awesome.

And @TS I think it varies depending on what your local scene is like.

Or if you're talking in a big world wide sense, if the music you make is good enough then you'll find an audience that appreciates you no matter what.

If you're aiming for MTV and stuff then I recommend you do indeed become a rapper!

Or a generously proportioned female R 'n' B singer. (I shudder to think how)
But even at that.... there are so many styles of rap/hip-hop. And just because you sound like T-Pain or Florida now doesn't mean that that stuff is what is going to be hot by the time your product gets to the shelves. In fact... odds are... it won't be.

I'm *really* curious to see what the next wave of urban music will bring. Hip-hop now has become what hair metal was in 1990 - recycled once too many times and taking itself way too seriously for its own good. It's all about the image, and style has trumped substance long ago...crushing itself under its own weight.....just like hair metal in 1990. And just like Nirvana came along as the catalyst to blow over the delicate house of cards, so too will there be a catalyst to topple the current state of hip-hop. It will be more organic, less pretentious, and far more raw than the slick, polished and shallow stuff out there now. My prediction is that the next Public Enemy is out there somewhere, and will take hip-hop by the balls and drag it kicking and screaming into something more conscious, and more affirming for both black and white citizens of the world. Gangsta will be the community rebel out there doing it for the marginalized of his/her community... not the pimp out there doing drive-bys protecting his ho's and his coke and his grille and his other self-affirming consumerist property. But that is far from what is really hip now with the bling bling and all....

I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how the bling-bling of hip-hop culture actually contributes to not only racism, but to the genocide of the people who are creating hip hop. A little bit of reading on Sierra Leone and conflict diamonds should make any 'consumerist' hip-hopper at least a little bit uncomfortable. As much as Chuck D is a valuable spokesperson for all this stuff, there is going to be a new guard to replace the old guard, and someone with youth and a bit of anger against the system created by hip-hop itself is going to start making waves.

Right now there seems to be two movements in hip-hop that are polar opposites. There is the "stop snitchin'" movement which celebrates the gangsta as the bully who intimidates people into compliance, and there is a movement out there that is calling for more consciousness in rap and hip-hop. At the moment, that movement is most vocal through the old guard of hip hop - the PE's and KRS-One's of the world. But you can bet that those two worlds will collide and change being what it is - inevitable - the latter will come through, and there is some kid out there making music that is going to make hip-hop vital again. And part of me is genuinely optimistic that that kid will have a guitar....

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 2, 2008,
^^^^+1 one for that.

Quote by 12345abcd3
IMO, playing just to be unique or different is just as bad as playing just to be popular.

+1 for this.

Along the lines of where hip-hop is going....does anyone think rock is going to turn around and become more socially conscious in the next decade? Along those lines, is rock being so stagnant because it's so.....anti-political right now? I'm not talking about crazed onstage protests, but it seems the only people who remark on the current state of affairs in rock are those who have been doing that in their careers since the '70s and '80s. Not that that's bad, but it seems the "new guard" is never really vocal about having any kind of political stance.

I really wonder....it seems like my generation, and the kids in high school and growing up now, are the most apathetic and selfish you can imagine when it comes to politics, activism, and speaking out for and about others.....they either don't care, don't want to do it, or think it's a waste of time.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
And they are apathetic, and selfish because it is culturally acceptable, and even culturally encouraged. Change the culture, and you change the behavioiur. Oh, sure, it is easier said than done, but that's how it works. It's the whole 'art influences society and at the same time reflects society' thing.

And there ARE kids out there who are socially conscious, and are passionate about it. A young girl at our school in grade seven last year had this big community thing going on raising awareness of child soldiers through War Child Canada. Wow! There are kids at your school, I'm sure, who are part of environmental clubs, and other social activism efforts.

The problems at the moment are that those kids are often marginalized themselves and classified as nerds, and the industry doesn't like to rock any boats because they don't want to alienate any part of their market. They want to sell to *everybody* - not just Obama supporters, or whatever.

It will take someone *big* to start the discussion. Lots of bands whined and moaned about file-sharing and nobody cared enough to listen. It took a band like Metallica to not only have the nads to stand up and say something, but to be taken seriously enough about it so as to generate discussion. Whatever side you're on, it has most certainly become an issue, and love 'em or hate 'em for it... it was them that made that difference.

Similarly... as soon as one of the strong leaders in the school... someone who is NOT a nerd stands up and makes a statement, it becomes okay to agree with them. That can happen in music too.

There will be people like Zach DeLaRocha who are considered both cool and relevant and filled with passion for social justice, etc. The stalling point is waiting for the industry to catch up. My guess is that the hip hop market will 'get it' first, allowing it to become cool, and then other genres will follow once the door is open.

CT

Quote by AwesomeDrummer

No, it isnt.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
it might be because i missed something in an earlier post, im a little confused as to what this "it" that ur talking about actually is. would anyone care to give me a bit of a hint?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by Dunjma
it might be because i missed something in an earlier post, im a little confused as to what this "it" that ur talking about actually is. would anyone care to give me a bit of a hint?

music scene
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
alternative pop gay stuff but if you start a pop band make sure your songs have nice solos the you wont be concered as gay(thts how i feel about pop)
The people who make and are successful doing pop music could really care less about whether you think their stuff is gay or not. They're too busy cashing cheques.

The average listener really doesn't care about solos much. They'd often just as much prefer another chorus.

CT