I'm a complete newbie to guitar. Only been playing for around 2 months and I'm not sure if I'm doing some things right so I'd like you guys to help me out.

My trouble right now is picking single notes. Currently I mostly pick down as in DDDD and only alternate (I use economy picking, always have. It's more comfortable for me) if it's too fast to only go down. I do this because it's more comfortable to go down than up for me and I'm wondering if that's ok? Or should I always use economy / alternate picking?

I also rest my hand on the guitar when I'm tremolo picking or just alternating quickly. Should I always have my hand in the air or is that fine?

Thanks for your help
It's best to use alternate picking. You'll be slow at first, but it won't take long to learn. It was one of the best things I ever did when I started out. As soon as I learnt to alternate pick, my speed went up considerably.

Try not to anchor your hand. It's not the worst guitar sin, but it does impair you a little with movement to other strings etc.
There is poetry in despair.
Thanks, it's kind of hard to keep a steady beat sometimes when alt picking but I'll get it eventually .