so ive looked through damn near every UG lesson archive. i cant seem to find any on strumming. i am, in the most literal sense, a noob. Ordered a guitar online and had it sent to iraq since i now have the time to start learning. my buddy is teaching me b having me do the rythms for the songs he is writing. heres the problem. they all involve up and down strumming on basic bar chords. i have absolutely no problem on the way down. then when i started trying to alternate(his songs are played with some speed) i encountered a few problems. first, the pick kept feeling like it was getting "stuck" or "caught" on strings. i tried adjust. on the way up i would hold the pic a little looser bcuz ive already broken strings and am trying to be more cautious.once i did this it worked for a few minutes then pic would start shifting in my fingers and it would throw me off. im tearing my hair out because ive been playing for a few weeks and have yet to play anything more than gained-up sounds
it takes time to learn these things, try having very little of the plectrum touching the strings so its only about 0.5 cm between the fingertips of your strumming hand and the end of your plectrum. also the plectrum need to be held loosely. it can take a while to master tho so just keep practising
Quote by Doc_ZuZu
heres the problem. they all involve up and down strumming on basic bar chords. i have absolutely no problem on the way down. then when i started trying to alternate(his songs are played with some speed) i encountered a few problems. first, the pick kept feeling like it was getting "stuck" or "caught" on strings. i tried adjust. on the way up i would hold the pic a little looser bcuz ive already broken strings and am trying to be more cautious.once i did this it worked for a few minutes then pic would start shifting in my fingers and it would throw me off.

1. Learn with a lighter more flexible pick.

2. Pay attention to the angle that your pick is hitting the strings. Both ways should be slightly angled away from the strings. If you keep the same angle both ways, this would explain the "stuck" feeling.

3. Make sure you're strumming by twisting your forearm, not mainly at your elbow.

Basically just pay attention to the technique and not kill the thing.
get a lighter pick man, preferably one with grip, your probably playing with a medium pick, which is too thick IMO for acoustic strumming.
yeah your problem seems to be the pick you should get a thin flexible one that should help.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
When starting out a thin pick is good. They are usually called Light in terms of gauge and are about a size .50. Medium are around .70 and heavy are around 1.00. After learning to strum you can move to heavier picks. Your pick isn't perpendicular to the guitar, and you don't hold it really tight either. Its one of the things you get a feel for. You start to see what works and what doesn't in your playing. But yes, it is tilted slightly, meaning down strums it faces up and up strums it is facing down some. Also your thumb should be at least half way down the pick. you shouldn't have your thumb hanging off the pick from holding it real far back. another is to make sure your holding it right. generally you will learn to hold it with your thumb touching the first joint of your pointer finger and your pointer finger touching the joint of your thumb. you hold a small fist sort of way and it helps with precision, especially later when it really matters like when you will only strum a few strings and not all 6.
Guitars Owned: Yamaha F335