3 men go into a hotel. The man behind the desk says that the room is £30, so each of the men pays £10 and they go to the room.

A while later the man behind the desks realizes that the room is only £25 so he sent the bellboy to the 3 guys room with £5,

On the way the bellboy couldn't figure out how to split the £5 evenly between them so he gave each man £1 and kept the other 2 for himself.

This meant that the 3 men each paid £9 pound for the room, which is a total of £27, add the £2 that the bellboy kept = £29

Where is the other pound?

Thought that would give you something to do
SWFC
that is confusing
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
some of my friends had this problem the other week trying to buy a DVD player or something. Minor haemoragging was experienced by all trying to figure out wtf was going on.
ABBA
They each paid nine dollars, and there were three of them. Three times nine is twenty-seven. The other three dollars out of the original thirty was split between them, one dollar each. That's the total thirty dollars.

So, where's the twenty-seven dollars they paid? Twenty-five of it is in the register downstairs, the other two dollars is in the bell boy's pocket.
They paid £10 each, and there was £5 back, the bellboy kept £2 leaving £28, and they got £1 each which leaves £25 paid for the room, there's no missing pound.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
they paid £30 in total so with a pound given back to each one £30-3 = £27 so they poaid £27 in total. then the bellboy kept £2 so £27-2 = £25.

i dont think that explains it though lol.
30-5=25

then the bellboy brought them each one back. 25+3=28 (+the 2 he kept still=30)

28/3=9.33333333333333333333

that .33333333 times 3 makes up that "extra" 1.
My great-uncle used to tell this one, I could never figure it out. Only his was ffaaarr more complicated, he put the old shillings and everything in his version
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by ewb333
3 men go into a hotel. The man behind the desk says that the room is £30, so each of the men pays £10 and they go to the room.

A while later the man behind the desks realizes that the room is only £25 so he sent the bellboy to the 3 guys room with £5,

On the way the bellboy couldn't figure out how to split the £5 evenly between them so he gave each man £1 and kept the other 2 for himself.

This meant that the 3 men each paid £9 pound for the room, which is a total of £27, add the £2 that the bellboy kept = £29

Where is the other pound?

Thought that would give you something to do

highlighted the flaw.

the £2 is already in the 27 they paid for the room.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
In the end the men each have £-9 the bellboy has £2 and the hotel £25.

Therefore the sum of what the men have (£-27) and the hotel + bellboy is 0. which is perfectly correct. No pound has gone missing.

In the end each man payed £28 (the £25 they payed + the £3 they got back) divided by 3.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
they gave 27 dollars to hotel but they didn't give 2 dollars to bellboy ! so why you sum 27 and 2 ? so you try to mislead reader with this point!
The Life = A Place To Waste Energy
From a mathematical standpoint, it is incorrect to "add" 2 pounds to the 27 pounds. What you do is you subtract 2 from 27 and you get 25. 25 is how much the room cost, so there you go. There is no missing pound, it's simply misleading the way it's told (you can't "add" 2 to the 27 since the 2 is already part of the 27).

Think about it this way. If they paid 9 pounds each, thats 27 pounds that the "HOTEL" has and 3 pounds that the "MEN" have. The bellboy's amount is part of the "HOTEL's" so you can't add 2 to 27.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
No, it means the men paid 30 pounds , got jipped of two (28) and got 1 pound back each (25)

The last part of the riddle is a fallacy and is meant to throw off the reader.

Btw.

OLD
hue
Quote by jimmy_neutron
lol, 3 guys in one room.

Do i hear soggy biscuit?

most useful post in this thread. kudos, man.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You're going the wrong way round, it should be £27 MINUS the £2 the bellboy took, then it makes sense!
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend