Ok, so I wanna join the guitar ranks, but, I wanna keep this as cheap as possible, just in case I don't like playing. What would I need(keeping to a bare minimum)? Cuz I thought guitar (Squier affinity strat (£105)) amp (roland micro cube (£59)) lead, for a couple of quid, and some picks for a few quid as well. this would make the cost which is around £175 quid, I odn't need a bag, cuz I'm not taking my guitar anywhere, for a strap I could use my guitar hero strap ( ) and then lessons, which I cannot afford, I will simply have to resort to the internet, had a quick browse, justinguitar looks perfect, and so does this site. Oh, and for tuning, I could get mp3's of the internet for it. I'm not completely new to guitar, I've played on my cousins one unplugged, and went to my local twice..

Good or not? Anyone else started like this, and ddo i nee anything else? Cuz I don't think so.

EDIT: Thisi s good, comes with stuff I need, and cheap.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/70034

I may just get this one.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-rock-kit/67159

or this one

NO!!!! It will be this one!! squier strat with shit loads of stuff!!!!
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74854

...Awesome...
By the way guys, whats a pick sampler?
Last edited by slipknotrawr at Oct 31, 2008,
Justinguitar is a great site, learned a few songs from there when I was first starting out. Seems like you've got it all covered, check out UG's lessons, there's some really good ones for beginners.
Hey dude,
good to know that another virgin sould is joining the guitar bretheren. To be honest I don't think you should get any of that. I started out with an acoustic and then moved to electric later on. The acoustic is as not a big investment as a an eletric and with the acoustic you're still gonna be able to get a good sound and not left wanting more. I had a squier and after having about 6 months I hated the sound, therefore I never played it resorted to my acoustic. Another arguement for acoustic is its very easy to practice you just pick it up and go. Wanna play outside go ahead and do it know what i mean. I had a guitar teacher tell once, and this is within reason mind you, that anything you can play on the acoustic you can probably play a whole lot better on the electric. Now if an acoustic isn't your thing I guess what you have pciked would be nice. Is the gear used or new? I recomend searching some classified ads or pawn shops for an old guitar (acoustic or electric) because you're gonna get something much better than what you paid for it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Quote by wjhender
Hey dude,
good to know that another virgin sould is joining the guitar bretheren. To be honest I don't think you should get any of that. I started out with an acoustic and then moved to electric later on. The acoustic is as not a big investment as a an eletric and with the acoustic you're still gonna be able to get a good sound and not left wanting more. I had a squier and after having about 6 months I hated the sound, therefore I never played it resorted to my acoustic. Another arguement for acoustic is its very easy to practice you just pick it up and go. Wanna play outside go ahead and do it know what i mean. I had a guitar teacher tell once, and this is within reason mind you, that anything you can play on the acoustic you can probably play a whole lot better on the electric. Now if an acoustic isn't your thing I guess what you have pciked would be nice. Is the gear used or new? I recomend searching some classified ads or pawn shops for an old guitar (acoustic or electric) because you're gonna get something much better than what you paid for it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I did think about acoustic, but its not for me, I dunno about going used though, I want thsi to make an impression on me, so I will probably go new.
Hmm...you don't really know if guitar is something you would like?

Heres a REALLY cheap way out...

Don't buy an amp. Buy a Line 6 Guitar Port or Tone Port. The entry level Tone Port can be bought new for about $50 and comes with Gearbox software. You get lots of different amp/speaker combinations and all the major effects in one neat little package.

Something to think about if you're on a strict budget.
I wouldn't be so turned off on used. I got a brand new marshall amp solid state for 150 and it was ok but i wanted to upgrade so i went on a classifieds site and found a 15 watt tube amp with 12 inch speaker for 200. It was barely used at all and had brand new tubes put in it a couple of months before i bout it. I think it retailed 350. Not a bad deal.
Quote by slipknotrawr
Ok, so I wanna join the guitar ranks, but, I wanna keep this as cheap as possible, just in case I don't like playing. What would I need(keeping to a bare minimum)? Cuz I thought guitar (Squier affinity strat (£105)) amp (roland micro cube (£59)) lead, for a couple of quid, and some picks for a few quid as well. this would make the cost which is around £175 quid, I odn't need a bag, cuz I'm not taking my guitar anywhere, for a strap I could use my guitar hero strap ( ) and then lessons, which I cannot afford, I will simply have to resort to the internet, had a quick browse, justinguitar looks perfect, and so does this site. Oh, and for tuning, I could get mp3's of the internet for it. I'm not completely new to guitar, I've played on my cousins one unplugged, and went to my local twice..

Good or not? Anyone else started like this, and ddo i nee anything else? Cuz I don't think so.

for the love of god don't get a squire strat. I had one and it played like sh1t. They are really hit and miss

get a real strat, just..work overtime,..or something
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
EDIT: step away from the starter packs!

if you know you want to play electric guitar, start on electric. if you know you wanted to drive a car, you wouldn't buy a motorbike first, would you?

anyway, it really depends on what type of music you really want to play. i think you're spot on with the microcube, that's a pretty good price for one too. the guitar will depend more on what you want to play (as the microcube is pretty versatile and can cover most music genres).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mattiwillohouse
(a) for the love of god don't get a squire strat. I had one and it played like sh1t. They are really hit and miss

(b) get a real strat, just..work overtime,..or something

(a) maybe he could find a hit one?

(b) he doesn't know if he wants to stick with it. it's not really a question of money, it's more how much he wants to spend. plus you don't know what music he wants to play, so a strat could be totally wrong for him.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not my suggestion to get a Frontman.

listen to Dave_MC

those starter packs will make you wish you had not started guitar....and we don't want that to happen. I like the Toneport or Pod idea better actually and a slightly better guitar (used).

i saw your other post on the Frontman over in GGnA. Don't get that. Is that what is in the starter pack? And there is no such thing as overdrive/high gain with that amp especially without pedals or effects or whatever your question was.

Get a Microcube, $99 vypyr, or a Pod.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 31, 2008,
The Microcube's a good choice, but just in case check out the Peavey Vypyr Series and the Vox Da-5 too, they're all pretty good practice amps. As for the guitar, if i had to get a guitar under 200 dollars, i'd get a Yamaha Pacifica. It's a decent guitar for it's price. Don't get a starter pack, most of them are worthless.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
yeah, definitely don't get a starter pack. rarely do the people making the good amps make the good guitars, and vice-versa. the best case scenario with a starter pack is getting an alright guitar with a crap amp, more or less, whereas if you buy separately you can get the best guitar at your price range AND the best amp (the microcube).

I know you want to keep it as cheap as possible, but there's such a thing as a false economy. If you buy too cheap, as 311 correctly said, you're actually INCREASING your chances of giving up, as it's liable to be trash (and since everyone knows it's trash, they depreciate more quickly so you aren't likely to get much back if you sell it on). You don't need to buy a $3000 custom shop gibson, obviously, but the difference between a £100 guitar and a £150 guitar can be astonishing (if you know the good models at £150), as there's a certain price under which it's not economically possible to make even a half-decent instrument.

Seriously, get something like a yamaha pacifica 112v (NOT the 012, it's cheaper for a reason, don't be tempted to cheap out for the 012) and a roland microcube (or maybe one of those other amps which 311 mentioned- i haven't tried them but he knows his stuff), and you'll thank us later. That'll set you back around £200, maybe £220 when you factor in the price of a lead etc. I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay £220 for something decent than £150 for something which isn't. I've played MIM standard strats which weren't as nice as the pacifica 112v, it's an extremely decent guitar for the money (around £150).

EDIT: i have no idea what a pick sampler is.

bear in mind that a lot of that "free" stuff is liable to be the cheapest crap versions available. I mean, you can buy a good (and i mean, pro-quality good) cable from award session which is custom made for you for about a tenner. Straps start around £5 or so. picks are about 30p each. a quality instructional DVD is maybe £10-£20.

I guess, what i'm trying to say is, that for the beginner that starter kit looks like it has everything you need to get started, which is comforting when you don't know exactly what you need. The problem is that it's low quality stuff, as they know that beginners don't know much about guitars, so they can get away with giving you stuff that even slightly seasoned players wouldn't touch with a bargepole. the problem with a beginner kit is that you're saving money now, but will end up paying more in the long run, as you'll end up wanting to upgrade much sooner than if you went with something decent now.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 31, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, definitely don't get a starter pack. rarely do the people making the good amps make the good guitars, and vice-versa. the best case scenario with a starter pack is getting an alright guitar with a crap amp, more or less, whereas if you buy separately you can get the best guitar at your price range AND the best amp (the microcube).

I know you want to keep it as cheap as possible, but there's such a thing as a false economy. If you buy too cheap, as 311 correctly said, you're actually INCREASING your chances of giving up, as it's liable to be trash (and since everyone knows it's trash, they depreciate more quickly so you aren't likely to get much back if you sell it on). You don't need to buy a $3000 custom shop gibson, obviously, but the difference between a £100 guitar and a £150 guitar can be astonishing (if you know the good models at £150), as there's a certain price under which it's not economically possible to make even a half-decent instrument.

Seriously, get something like a yamaha pacifica 112v (NOT the 012, it's cheaper for a reason, don't be tempted to cheap out for the 012) and a roland microcube (or maybe one of those other amps which 311 mentioned- i haven't tried them but he knows his stuff), and you'll thank us later. That'll set you back around £200, maybe £220 when you factor in the price of a lead etc. I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay £220 for something decent than £150 for something which isn't. I've played MIM standard strats which weren't as nice as the pacifica 112v, it's an extremely decent guitar for the money (around £150).

EDIT: i have no idea what a pick sampler is.

bear in mind that a lot of that "free" stuff is liable to be the cheapest crap versions available. I mean, you can buy a good (and i mean, pro-quality good) cable from award session which is custom made for you for about a tenner. Straps start around £5 or so. picks are about 30p each. a quality instructional DVD is maybe £10-£20.

I guess, what i'm trying to say is, that for the beginner that starter kit looks like it has everything you need to get started, which is comforting when you don't know exactly what you need. The problem is that it's low quality stuff, as they know that beginners don't know much about guitars, so they can get away with giving you stuff that even slightly seasoned players wouldn't touch with a bargepole. the problem with a beginner kit is that you're saving money now, but will end up paying more in the long run, as you'll end up wanting to upgrade much sooner than if you went with something decent now.

+1

Epic advice! Epic I tell you!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm looking for the same thing, and you have just given me the idea to buy this lot.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/squier-affinity-stratocaster/1308
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=12942
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/stagg-gc3---std-10ft/3601
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/credit-card-plectrums/67771
Cheap but good

EDIT:The lead isn't that bad is it? likei t won't break in a week?
Last edited by NKF176 at Oct 31, 2008,
^ i'd personally get a cable from these guys instead:

http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html

you should be able to get a 10 footer for around a tenner (including £3 postage). it'll annihilate that stagg one, sound about a million times better and be far more reliable too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i'd personally get a cable from these guys instead:

http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html

you should be able to get a 10 footer for around a tenner (including £3 postage). it'll annihilate that stagg one, sound about a million times better and be far more reliable too.

Yeah, but I wanna know that the stagg one isn't tooo bad is it?
it is. you're talking about paying £3 more for something which is pro quality versus something which is terrible.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?