What are your guys biggest pet peeves from guitar playing to anything else.

I have 2.

(1.) I absolutely hate it when people call themselves legato lead players but they feebly attempt to play sweep arpeggios with their thumb atop the neck. All they are accomplishing is doing a disservice to themselves by having terrible hand form. They are making it more difficult than it has to be and they end up fighting the instrument just to play a simple lick. Why not play with your thumb at the base of the neck, so you can have full range of motion for your fingers. SO annoying. I've seen so many wannabe legato players doing this annoying habit.

(2) One plays a dropped tuning open string power chord (D5, or whatever drop tuning you are in.) When they then go to solo, they resort to playing a solo IN THE KEY OF D. THAT'S THE MOST SQUARE, LAME, TIRED, BORING, NON-CREATIVE thing you can do when it comes to soloing. If you want to become a serious lead player, I highly, highly, highly recommend that you learn the actual notes of the scale, rather than learning a stupid pattern and then running the pattern in the same spot over and over again. Why not be creative and play let's say....A Minor Pentatonic over a D5? or start on a 3rd? Let's be original here.

I am doing everything I can to mature in my lead writing process. It's just serisouly annoying to watch somebody doing these stupid habits. .

What are your pet peeves?
Last edited by RG PROG at Oct 31, 2008,
Call the waaa-bulance!
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Trick or Treaters.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
searchbar jokes.
Quote by horloko
Yeah I've been told that. I foretell the future in my doodling. I kept drawing me raping my Spanish teacher. Stupid teacher got scared and told on me. I raped her for that.

Quote by caskettheclown
i have a huge schlong.

there you go.

i win
drop tunings in general. theres maybe 10 bands out of the hundreds that i listen to that play drop tunings. noone takes into consideration HOW you write music anymore. listen to We are the Nightmare by Arsis. it's in standard. using tritone power chords is awesome.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
people who criticize the way i play like:

thumb over neck while sweeping, its comfortable for me and i can do it fast and clean
Quote by RG PROG
What are your guys biggest pet peeves from guitar playing to anything else.

I have 2.

(1.) I absolutely hate it when people call themselves legato lead players but they feebly attempt to play sweep arpeggios with their thumb atop the neck. All they are accomplishing is doing a disservice to themselves by having terrible hand form. They are making it more difficult than it has to be and they end up fighting the instrument just to play a simple lick. Why not play with your thumb at the base of the neck, so you can have full range of motion for your fingers. SO annoying. I've seen so many wannabe legato players doing this annoying habit.

(2) One plays a dropped tuning open string power chord (D5, or whatever drop tuning you are in.) When they then go to solo, they resort to playing a solo IN THE KEY OF D. THAT'S THE MOST SQUARE, LAME, TIRED, BORING, NON-CREATIVE thing you can do when it comes to soloing. If you want to become a serious lead player, I highly, highly, highly recommend that you learn the actual notes of the scale, rather than learning a stupid pattern and then running the pattern in the same spot over and over again. Why not be creative and play let's say....A Minor Pentatonic over a D5? or start on a 3rd? Let's be original here.

I am doing everything I can to mature in my lead writing process. It's just serisouly annoying to watch somebody doing these stupid habits. .

What are your pet peeves?

1. Playing with your thumb atop the neck is personal preference, I put my thumb atop the neck when I do second inversion major arps and it comes out perfectly. Furthermore, legato is a technique, not a status; sweeping is NOT legato.

2. You've just called just about every guitarist who ever lived "SQUARE, LAME, TIRED, BORING, NON-CREATIVE "
hue
Quote by RG PROG

thumb atop the neck.

What if its a C-shaped neck?

Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
For me... you're playing and just messing around, then suddenly, the person who sucks, but has tons of friends, so therefore thinks he is guitar jesus walks in and just starts going off on how much you suck compared to the fact that he just taught himself TNT by AC/DC... *facepalm* [/rant]
Quote by StratoTele
The punji sticks only work if you use your own feces. Most brand names aren't reliable.

All I gotta do is put on a cool face...
I forgot to answer the thread, silly me

My pet peeve is guitarists who are too busy trolling the less experienced ones to actually help them with their playing.

Quote by dio_dude
my pet peeve is people who use the words 'pet' and 'peeve'.

+ E
hue
my pet peeve is when users start threads just so they can rant and grandstand.

*reported*
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.