Hey. I'm sorry for posting something with this topic which has been hit on a lot, but I didn't find any that were suited to my needs. I will probably get a crate v18 amp as I need a smaller and cheaper tube amp but it doesn't have very good distortion. I was wondering what pedal would be good for metalcore such as killswitch, parkway drive, older atreyu, as i lay dying, bullet for my valentine...etc. I know adam and joel use maxon od808's and I have heard good things about the maxon od9 but I really am not sure. So if any of you know how to help me out in my quandary, I would appreciate it
Boss Metal Zone, EH Metal Muff are the 2 that would fit the bill.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
Quote by zero716
Hey. I'm sorry for posting something with this topic which has been hit on a lot, but I didn't find any that were suited to my needs. I will probably get a crate v18 amp as I need a smaller and cheaper tube amp but it doesn't have very good distortion. I was wondering what pedal would be good for metalcore such as killswitch, parkway drive, older atreyu, as i lay dying, bullet for my valentine...etc. I know adam and joel use maxon od808's and I have heard good things about the maxon od9 but I really am not sure. So if any of you know how to help me out in my quandary, I would appreciate it

how about the metalcore pedal?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
OD pedals are usually used to compress the sound slightly/ tighten up the bottom end, not provide gain. I don't rate the Boss distortion effects like Metalcore/Metalzone. To me they sound fizzy and all digitalised like Line 6 pods which I hate.

Why don't you look for a higher-gain amp, or get a line 6 pod if you want that kinda sound? I really wouldn't recommend distortion pedals if you want a good tone tbh.

Maybe try a Zakk Wylde pedal OD though, they're quite good, contrary to what I said.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
Last edited by Sleazeball at Oct 31, 2008,
Quote by Sleazeball
OD pedals are usually used to compress the sound slightly/ tighten up the bottom end, not provide gain. I don't rate the Boss distortion effects like Metalcore/Metalzone. To me they sound fizzy and all digitalised like Line 6 pods which I hate.

Why don't you look for a higher-gain amp, or get a line 6 pod if you want that kinda sound? I really wouldn't recommend distortion pedals if you want a good tone tbh.

Maybe try a Zakk Wylde pedal OD though, they're quite good, contrary to what I said.

The maxon od9/od808 and other tubescreamer type pedals don't have that much distortion by themselves. they're normally used as a booster for the already existing gain channel that is in the amplifier.

if you were to buy a tubescreamer and use it for your crate v18, i don't think it wouldn't really be the type of drive sound you're looking for.

in your case you may very well be better off simply saving extra cash and getting an amp that'll REALLY do what you need.

My best guess is that a Crate v18 and a good distortion pedal is going to cost you around $400 anyway.. for another hundred bucks you could find a GREAT used tube combo that'll do exactly what you need (jcm800, 5150/6505, dsl401 etc..)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
You will need a better amp if you want a good, high gain metalcore tone. The Crate V-18 can't do metal on its own; but, while adding a distortion pedal will get you that high gain you're after, it will be a thin, buzzy distortion unless you're willing to shell out a couple hundred dollars to get something that actually sounds good.

Also, like sleazeball said, ODs are used by those guys to tighten up the bass and what not. The majority of metalcore guitarists are already using high gain amps (primarily a Peavey 5150/6505, a Krank Revolution or Krankenstein, etc.).

I know how it feels to want nice gear, but if you really want to nail that tone you need to keep saving until you can afford something that is going to get you where you need to be and not just throw your money away on something that will give you a cheap, mediocre tone.
Save a little bit more (you won't need that much more), and look into a used 5150/6505, or XXX combo. You'll be waaaaay better off with one of those
Quote by ClementWave

Denied.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok. Well I just need another amp then while I save to get the a better one used because my amp is probably the most awful ss piece of crap ever seen. I would make the tone of a custom gibson/esp/whatever sound like...crap! Haha, well where are some good places to get one of these used amps? Oh, and what is a cheap amp that I could get until then? Just a small amp, I don't even care if it is ss just something that will leave me sane for the time being?