Hey guys, been chasing this issue for quite a while now, there's basically some nasty whiney feedback going on with my setup. At first I thought it was my guitar, so I did a couple of tests today just whacking my thumb on the cable -- and the feedback's still there, so my lovely active pickups are fine. Which is a relief.

However, it leaves me wondering what the feedback is and where it's coming from. I use a Boss NS-2 in the X-connection (gating both the pre-amp and guitar input), but the issue occurs with it daisy-chained into the front of the amp as well as with the FX loop.

These two videos show the noise I get, with me adjusting my drive knob to show it going up:

This one is just one Planet Waves cable plugged straight into the front of the amp. I assume this amount of noise is probably normal with a high-gain setup. http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=120tqfq&s=4

This one is that same Planet Waves cable going into my NS-2, then the X-connection (through 3 more Planet Waves cables) going through my amp's FX loop and also into the front of the amp.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=fw0eat&s=4

Note the squealy crap on the second video. That's what I want rid of. BADLY!

Help!! I've done the pencil-tapping test on my tubes and they're fine. And please don't just blame it on it being a Line 6 head, that isn't productive at all

Thanks!
well, every valve amp will make that buzzing sound when you touch the jack, in fact probably every amp full stop. I couldn't really tell what kind of feedback you were hearing, apart from the slight squeaking in the 2nd video.
Could you do a video with your guitar plugged in? then people may be able to help you, but i don't see any issue unless I'm being stupid and missing the point here.
The squeaking in the second video is the problem. It's a lot more than slight and it's a big problem. It makes that same noise when I mute the strings or silence my guitar. And since I play music with a fair amount of dead stops, it's most problematic.

I'm aware that the noise on the jack is normal, but the hissing is not. That first video is just there to prove that it isn't my cable I guess, and I'm not using my guitar so that I can be sure that the guitar and pickups aren't causing the squeaking.
Last edited by LessThanLuke at Oct 31, 2008,
Quote by LessThanLuke
The squeaking in the second video is the problem. It's a lot more than slight and it's a big problem. It makes that same noise when I mute the strings or silence my guitar. And since I play music with a fair amount of dead stops, it's most problematic.

I'm aware that the noise on the jack is normal, but the hissing is not. That first video is just there to prove that it isn't my cable I guess, and I'm not using my guitar so that I can be sure that the guitar and pickups aren't causing the squeaking.

huh?

i saw your second clip - and that's not proving anything out in my book. Plug your damn guitar in and do some palm mutes, dead stops, hand on and off strings and repost.

i suppose there might be something wrong with the amp but your vid doesn't help that much imo.
Can you not hear the difference between the two videos?! The first one has no squeaking, the second one has lots of it.

What is that squeaking, where is it coming from, and how do I get rid of it? That was my question.
The horrible high pitched ringy/squeaky noise when I let off the cable is what I'm talking to. It happens in that exact manner when I mute strings, plugging in the guitar won't change the noise, I put the video there to show how it increases with gain increase, and how it's dead stops in voltage on the cable that's causing it, nothing to do with the guitar.
Exactly the same as what happens in the second video. I play a note, dead stop it, and get that exact same trail of high pitched squeak. That's what happens when I play the guitar.

And I did another test with JUST the NS-2 by itself. Same squeak.
How long have had the noise gate and how long since this problem arose.

Can you try a different guitar in your amp?
Are you sure your guitar is grounded properly?
It it possible your NS-2 sucks or is going bad? Battery or line power?
I guess you've checked all the cables and insert jacks blah bla blah?
Can you try your guitar in a different valve amp?
Is it possible your amp has a problem?

Good luck and happy halloween.
Tried another guitar. Since it's making the noise without ANY guitar, its not the guitar. Guitar is grounded, pickups were professionally fitted. Guitar's fine through other setups. NS-2 might be broken I guess, it's not battery-powered and my mains adapter powers my other pedals without a problem.

Guitar is fine in other amps.
Ok, troubleshooting 101:

Try the guitar straight to the amp with no effects, gates reverb etc.
Make sure the that any effects you have on the amp are also turned off.

Does it happen under these conditions?
If so, you're either looking at the guitar, cable or amp causing the issue.
You've already checked out the cables I'm assuming and it's easy to test with a different guitar.
Sounds to me like the tubes are oversaturating the tone. This will either be a problem with the EQ or the tubes themselves. You do realize that your tubes, even though they appear to be working, can still not be functioning correctly?

The other two things I can think of are to make sure there are no TVs or florescent lights on near you (as tube amps are VERY sensitive to this). Last is your power supply on the camp could not be getting "clean" power. I won't go into what this is, but you can test it by taking the amp to a different location to see if it still causes the problem. If in fact, the problem is that it's not getting clean power, then I would suggest getting a power conditioner....
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
It happens with one cable straight into the front of the amp with the amp's onboard reverb/FX all off except the amp model itself. It doesn't happen with the amp on clean tones.

As for TVs and flourescent lights, I don't have any old CRT TVs anywhere near it and there's no flourescent lighting in my entire house. I've tried it with all my PC equipment turned off and it still does it.

And as for different locations, it's happened as various gig locations. Only seems to happen at certain shows, and it won't ALWAYS happen at home, it's a very tempramental problem. Can't seen to pinpoint it.

The tubes aren't like, roaring bright red, but they never have been, I think that since it's a Line 6 that may just be part and parcel of how they work. I did the pencil tapping test and they didn't make any noise with the amp cranked right up.
And 311, yeah it's easy. Use the SEND on the NS-2 to the front of the amp, the OUTPUT to your FX loop, the FX loop into your pedals and then back into the RETURN of the NS-2, and the INPUT of the NS-2 from your guitar
Quote by LessThanLuke
And 311, yeah it's easy. Use the SEND on the NS-2 to the front of the amp, the OUTPUT to your FX loop, the FX loop into your pedals and then back into the RETURN of the NS-2, and the INPUT of the NS-2 from your guitar

sounds like this would blow something
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Have you tried swapping preamp tubes around? Did you tap on the power tubes? To me that sounds like a bad tube or something.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I tapped the tube, and there was no extra noise.

And no, it doesn't blow anything at all. It works very well.. normally
But did you swap them around to see if maybe one of them is just noisy? If you didn't hear anything at all then that's strange in it self since you should've heard it at least faintly.
I would think so, but you said you heard nothing through the amp even when it was cranked? That seems strange since all tubes are microphonic. Even with a good tube you should hear the tapping faintly when the amp is cranked.
nice pokemon poster lol
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'