ok. my sincerest apologies if this has been done to death, but recently, i've been overthinking the whole what is considered a Dropped tuning for guitars.

normally, when i think of a dropped tuning i immediately think of DADGBE seeing as the low E has been 'dropped' to a D

so naturally a tuning like.. Drop C should be something like CGCFAD right?

now when i think of a standard tuning such as EADGBE, would a tuning such as BEADF#B be considered B Standard? or is that offhandedly considered a 'dropped' tuning as well?

i'm pretty sure i'm right, but i get confused because it seems like a lot of people interchangeably and maybe inaccurately use these terms to describe any tuning thats not E standard.

Thanks in advance!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Drop tuning usually means tuning the guitar to where you can barre the thickest strings to make a five chord with one finger. If you can't do that, you haven't drop tuned.

-D.
your right.. dropped tuning just indicates that the lowest string is tuned down from whatever standard your in.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Well, that B-tuning is more likely to appear on a sevenstring, where the tuning is B-standard (BEADGBE). If you wanted to drop a six-string to that, it would be BEADGB (which I don't recommend, your strings will be too loose). That would make a B-standard. Drop B though, is BF#BEG#C#.
Well, I look at it this way. When tuning by ear, you're familiar with the 5th fret tuning method, right? Where the 5th fret on the previous string equals open on the next string (5th fret on the low E equals an A).
If you're tuning drop, then the lowest string is a step down from the rest, meaning it's at the 7th Fret, not the 5th.
With things like D Standard, the tuning DGCFAD, it's down a full step, but all the strings are relative to each other due to the 5th Fret Method.
To me that's how I define the difference between 'drop' and 'standard' tunings.
Hope this helps.
Well, loosely "downtuning" is the term applied for B Standard, C Standard etc as all strings are, well, downtuned, not just one being drop-tuned.

And double drop D is: DADGBD
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
Quote by saberrocks
Well, that B-tuning is more likely to appear on a sevenstring, where the tuning is B-standard (BEADGBE). If you wanted to drop a six-string to that, it would be BEADGB (which I don't recommend, your strings will be too loose). That would make a B-standard. Drop B though, is BF#BEG#C#.

actually B standard on a 6 string is BEADF#B and loose strings can be fixed by having your guitar adjusted, the string will still be a bit slack if you don't have a baritone guitar but it won't be unplayable.
yea i have 6 string strung up with 13-59 (a 7 string set minus the high e) and its quite tight. only a 25" scale too

thanks for the clarifications tho guys.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by z4twenny
actually B standard on a 6 string is BEADF#B and loose strings can be fixed by having your guitar adjusted, the string will still be a bit slack if you don't have a baritone guitar but it won't be unplayable.

Exactly which "adjustment" will make your strings tighter without changing pitch?

Only way to keep them at a reasonable tension in low tunings is to use heavier gauge strings
^ you can have the bridge and saddle adjusted. im not a guitar tech so i can't say how they do it. i do know that you can have it adjusted though. using heavier gauge strings is obvious however. i've used .70 gauge strings on a guitar that wasn't setup for B standard tuning and they were still flapping in the wind. but i went and put 60 gauges on and had it adjusted and although they were a little loose, it wasn't unplayable.