pure hearsay, but the internet consensus is that weber kits are the cheapest for a reason: lower quality parts. I've never head anything bad about customer service or the accessibility of their kits, but everyone says the parts-caps, transformers, etc. are sub-par and contribute to an overall amp that just isn't as nice as other kit amps. Still some of the basic fender style would probably be the cheapest amp kits to start out with for experience sake (if you want a kit with a chassis and cabinet/speaker that is), so if you're more concerned with learning than building the best weber seems reasonable.
how are the mojo kits? anyone ever try?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
^Mojo kits are the best on the market. TAD and allparts kits are also mojo kits. My only complaint about Mojo kits is that they only offer the fender style kits with Sprauge orange drops and I think they would sound better with the Mojo Dijon caps or the Mallory 150's in the tone stack. For another $2.00 you can get the better caps though so thats not a big deal.

I agree with Kurtlives about the Weber kits.
Not taking any online orders.
You can by the kits without the cheapie parts. You can specify what you don't want in the order boxes and not pay for it. I built an 18/36w "marshall" clone head and love it. For what I payed I think it was a good value. They ship pretty fast too. I had mine within two weeks. There are better quaility kits out there, but you get what you pay for.

If this is your first tube amp a 5F1 kit will suit you well. Or mosey on over to AX84.com. You can build one of those amps for around $200, using good parts.
Yes the AX84 kit is pretty good for a beginner. The Capacitors and are not something that are amazing, but truthfully all modern components should be a lot more alike than people are think. I've heard that mojo transformers use paper bobbins, i'm not sure that they do, but if so i would be weary of them. People think that paper has some sort of property, one that does not exist at all, that makes paper transformers better. I would use some sort of water sealer around any place where water could get in. Water killed the transformer in the the Vintage Deluxe amp that I have.
Mojo transformers are paper bobbin.

Paper bobbin transformers do sound different than nylon core transformers and there are many good reasons for the difference in tone. Which is "better" is a matter of opinion but I like more defined bass, and the increased treble response you get from paper bobbin transformers. The difference in tone is similar to the difference in tone between plastic bobbin or paper bobbin pickups.

Paper bobbin transformers are sensitive to water but it takes a LOT of water or years being stored in a very wet environment. If you take reasonable care of your crap then they will last a lifetime.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Mojo transformers are paper bobbin.

Paper bobbin transformers do sound different than nylon core transformers and there are many good reasons for the difference in tone. Which is "better" is a matter of opinion but I like more defined bass, and the increased treble response you get from paper bobbin transformers. The difference in tone is similar to the difference in tone between plastic bobbin or paper bobbin pickups.

Paper bobbin transformers are sensitive to water but it takes a LOT of water or years being stored in a very wet environment. If you take reasonable care of your crap then they will last a lifetime.

Sorry to tell you this man but there is no way that a paper bobbin can cause any sort of different in the sound. If you are talking about older transformers then the entire reason they sound different is because they were not necessarily laquered (impregnated) between each layer of metal in the E and I laminations. Impregnating the laminations causes differences in the magnetic field and the flux produced. Paper is only used to seperate the windings from the magnetic core.

The bobbin type does not factor into any of the magnetic and electric properties of a transformer. A larger nylon core bobbin, which some places use, will cause the amp to sound different but not because of the material type, rather because the coil is further away from the core metal. You can get a plastic core that would be the same size as the paper cores used.

Older transformers were also interleaved, which is not common practice among . Interleaving allows a transformer to more easily produce the lows and highs of the guitar. A well made plastic core bobbin will sound exactly the same as a paper core bobbin transformer.
^spoken like somebody who read salespitch on a couple website and sucked the whole thing up.

Yes, the difference in tone is due to the distance of the wire from the core of the transformer and it's not actually the type of material that changes the tone.

If you can get nylon trasformer bobbins that are just as thin as paper bobbins then tell me where because I've never seen them. I've taken apart a lot of new and vintage transformers ranging from very cheep to very expensive and I have never seen a nylon bobbin that was as thin as a paper bobbin.
don't you supply the kits for mojo CorduroyEW? So I guess you could give LP a discounted price? Just a suggestion...
^I could, but I don't think mojo actually has a kit that will do what he want it to do. Mojo doesn't have any 20 (ish) watt amps with 3 knob tonestacks which means some significant modifications would be in order.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^spoken like somebody who read salespitch on a couple website and sucked the whole thing up.

Yes, the difference in tone is due to the distance of the wire from the core of the transformer and it's not actually the type of material that changes the tone.

If you can get nylon trasformer bobbins that are just as thin as paper bobbins then tell me where because I've never seen them. I've taken apart a lot of new and vintage transformers ranging from very cheep to very expensive and I have never seen a nylon bobbin that was as thin as a paper bobbin.

I feel like the first line is uncalled for. You should really think about what you say before you say it as I in no way made an attack on your credibility.
Maybe its spoken by someone who actually has some study in the field of magnetic inductors and transformer design. Paper bobbins are not as thin as people think they are. I've seen paper bobbins that are quite thick. Injection molded plastic can be very very thin. Many modern transformers might not use bobbins that are as thin as possible because a thinner bobbin cost more to manufacture, just as they do not intereleave the layers.
^You were condescending towards me and telling me I was wrong with your "hate to tell you this man..." You obviously have some experience but you are also obviously trying to make out like you have more experience than you actually do. Because your limited experience is making you feel confident in giving bad advise I thought I would chime in and point that out. It's nothing personal, I just hate seeing people get bad advise when it can cost them a great deal of money.

I realize that sometimes paper bobbins are thick. I also realize that sometimes nylon bobbins are thin. I also know from taking many transformers apart that in the world of audio transformers the good paper bobbin transformers still have thinner bobbins that the good nylon bobbin transformers. I too have a lot of experience with transformers (built them for a couple years before I started winding pickups) and I also have a lot of experience building guitars, amps, and pickups. I know enough about this stuff to know that if I hand an audio transformer to somebody who designs transformers, they will give me 50 reasons why the transformer is substandard and they will try and improve on it. When they do make their "improvements" the result is a transformer that sounds horrible because audio transformers need something different than many other types of transformers. Maybe you did get your information from somebody that has experience with field magnetic inductors and transformer design and maybe you have even studied the stuff yourself. Judging by the information you have given I am inclined to believe that you have little experience with practical application of audio transformers.
Quote by LP Addict
cord, what do you recommend then? id like some sort of EQing on the amp, wattage doesnt matter i guess.

If you do go with a mojo kit I'd probably go with a low power tweed twin amp with no cab or speakers. That way you can turn it into a head.

Something that is going to be closer to what you are actually looking for is the Ceriaton 18watt TMB http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSTMB/BSTMB.htm

It's got everything you are asking for and it's a higher level of quality than the weber kits. If you want to play more blues and classic rock I'd say go with the mojo twin but if you want more versitility then the ceriaton is your best bet.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^You were condescending towards me and telling me I was wrong with your "hate to tell you this man..." You obviously have some experience but you are also obviously trying to make out like you have more experience than you actually do. Because your limited experience is making you feel confident in giving bad advise I thought I would chime in and point that out. It's nothing personal, I just hate seeing people get bad advise when it can cost them a great deal of money.

I realize that sometimes paper bobbins are thick. I also realize that sometimes nylon bobbins are thin. I also know from taking many transformers apart that in the world of audio transformers the good paper bobbin transformers still have thinner bobbins that the good nylon bobbin transformers. I too have a lot of experience with transformers (built them for a couple years before I started winding pickups) and I also have a lot of experience building guitars, amps, and pickups. I know enough about this stuff to know that if I hand an audio transformer to somebody who designs transformers, they will give me 50 reasons why the transformer is substandard and they will try and improve on it. When they do make their "improvements" the result is a transformer that sounds horrible because audio transformers need something different than many other types of transformers. Maybe you did get your information from somebody that has experience with field magnetic inductors and transformer design and maybe you have even studied the stuff yourself. Judging by the information you have given I am inclined to believe that you have little experience with practical application of audio transformers.

If you do go with a mojo kit I'd probably go with a low power tweed twin amp with no cab or speakers. That way you can turn it into a head.

Something that is going to be closer to what you are actually looking for is the Ceriaton 18watt TMB http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSTMB/BSTMB.htm

It's got everything you are asking for and it's a higher level of quality than the weber kits. If you want to play more blues and classic rock I'd say go with the mojo twin but if you want more versitility then the ceriaton is your best bet.

Obviously we see from two very very different perspectives. Most of my knowledge of transformer knowledge either comes from working with professors to replace audio transformers to different parts of an organ. I have also worked with a professor who builds his own transformers for instrument tube type amplifiers. When it all comes down to it, vintage amps are the way they are not becase their components are any better than anything we have today. Most modern equivalents are just as good. Its because they were what were the cheapest way to get things made. I'll let you believe what you do, and leave it up to others to research and find out on their own. I see the pickups you make and they look to be quite nice, I will not question your judgment there. However, I have never seen any transformer that you have built so i could say I also feel the right to question your answers as an attempt to sell this fake "mojo"
^ In my experience, plastic never beats the real thing. .
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.