Page 1 of 3
ok people i need help,i'm new at guitar world recently i decided to buy eletric guitar and learn how to play it...
so far i found yamaha rgx 121 and i like it visually
so since i'm beginner i don't know is that guitar any good for me so every your advice is welcome

thx in advance
What's your budget at the moment? And will you need an amp?

And NEVER buy a guitar based on it's looks. It's why people buy a cheap BC Rich as a starter guitar because it 'looks metal'.

If you plan to play metal, (which I'm guessing because you liked that Yamaha) I think you should get a Roland Microcube or Cube 20 or something, and a Yahmaha Pacifica 112. The Pacifica is a really good guitar, and one of the best in the price range. Saying that, that combo should play pretty much any genre of music pretty well.

But, then again, you could get something better depending on your budget, so how much can you spend.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
My friend bought one of these some time back( it was some yamaha rg something). Considering the prize, it was okay or even very good for a beginner. Please read somewhere (namely in this site, under 'Columns') about how to use the floyd rose tremolo system. Mastering that early on can help a lot (I still havent and I have been playing for 10 years and therefore I dont use a whammy at all). The 5 way pickup switch is another plus. The only drawback would be the stock pickups, but those you can change at any point after you have played for sometime. Considering the quality and the prize, I would say good choice..................
First - take Bono off your avatar.

Second - Go with an Ibanez.

Capiche?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
well i'm from Croatia (Europe) and my choice of guitars is not very big this yamaha i mentioned before would cost me about 800KN (croatian money) that is like 200$ and that is pretty cheap if you ask me this is where i found that yamaha http://www.njuskalo.hr/trzalacki_instrumenti if you find something else please tell me
you can count the price as 400kn=100$
thx for help
Quote by strat0blaster

Capiche?

1st-why?

2nd-too expensive
some ibanezezez arent too expensive are they?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
See if you can get a Yamaha Pacifica 112

GREAT starter guitar.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
The Yamaha that everyone else is suggesting is a bit better than the one you found. The one you found has a worse body, the wood isn't as good. The RGX121 isn't awful, it's just not as good as the Yamaha Pacifica 112 which others have already suggested. The Pacifica 112 should also be a little bit cheaper (even though really, it's better!).

I also back up the earlier post suggesting a Roland Cube 20, it's a decent starter amp and also doesn't cost too much.

I personally would ignore one of the posts about suggesting an Ibanez. I do think they're pretty overpriced (event he starter ones), and having owned one of their cheaper models myself (which people here said was great), I found it to be really very poor. Either of the Yamaha guitars would be better.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Yamaha that everyone else is suggesting is a bit better than the one you found. The one you found has a worse body, the wood isn't as good. The RGX121 isn't awful, it's just not as good as the Yamaha Pacifica 112 which others have already suggested. The Pacifica 112 should also be a little bit cheaper (even though really, it's better!).

I also back up the earlier post suggesting a Roland Cube 20, it's a decent starter amp and also doesn't cost too much.

I personally would ignore one of the posts about suggesting an Ibanez. I do think they're pretty overpriced (event he starter ones), and having owned one of their cheaper models myself (which people here said was great), I found it to be really very poor. Either of the Yamaha guitars would be better.

1st-thx for great advice

well i like both yamaha guitars most probably i will buy one unless somebody
convince me to buy some other about amp that Roland Cube 20 in CRO costs more than guitar
Quote by strat0blaster

Capiche?

+1 on the bono thing he sucks. and i like my ibanez, look at yamaha pacificas as well.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
+1 on the bono thing he sucks. and i like my ibanez, look at yamaha pacificas as well.

bono is a legend
Quote by DMocic
bono is a legend

in what way? that he cant sing, his band sucks, the edge cant play guitar at all he just has tons of effects and they write crappy music which all sounds the same. sorry i dont want to start a lame flame war style thing, each to their own. But yeh yamaha pacifica 112v is a great way to go, a lot of people i know have them and say nothing but good things.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
in what way? that he cant sing, his band sucks, the edge cant play guitar at all he just has tons of effects and they write crappy music which all sounds the same. sorry i dont want to start a lame flame war style thing, each to their own. But yeh yamaha pacifica 112v is a great way to go, a lot of people i know have them and say nothing but good things.

well i don't think like you about him...but this thread isn't about bono
thx for advice looks like best choice is pacifica ....
Quote by lwayneio

I thought U2 were actually a good band, and The Edge was a good guitarist, and their music showed how the politics in Ireland at the time was bad, and how the IRA were ruining the country at the time.

But I didn't realise I was wrong.

Seriously, people like different music, so don't say the band are crap just because you don't like the music.

Sorry, just have to get that out. But yeah, refer to my post up there to see what is good advice, especially on your amp situation.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
yeh i know im sorry it was a bit uncalled for, i dont mind if other ppl like them. Im still a bit upset about a bbc program about guitar that was on recently and they had about 30secs of steve vai on it and 30mins of the edge on it. i was pretty appualed cos he really isnt a great guitarist and most of what he plays would sound poor without the wardrobes of rack effects.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
^ you need to make sure you get the right model- the pacifica 112v is really nice for the money, it's one of the best, if not the best, starter guitar on the market in europe. it's extremely versatile, is made of decent wood (alder) so the core tone should be good, and it's a nice enough guitar to upgrade later (e.g. better pickups etc.) if you stick with guitar. A lot of the cheaper starter guitars you might as well just dump once you get a bit better, this isn't the case with the yamaha pacifica 112v.

i'd actually advise against the roland cube 20x, as it doesn't have all the amp models of the roland cube 30x. If you can't stretch to the cube 30x, how about the roland microcube? it's about half the price, is portable, and has most of the amp models which the cube 30x does (more than the cube 20x!).

That's what i'd go with were i starting again.

EDIT: what type of music do you hope to mainly play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 31, 2008,
i think so, but my croatian is a little rusty...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeh make sure its the 112v cos that the upgraded one thats supposed to be really nice, the 012 or the 112 arent quite as good
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
^ good point actually- the one in that link looks like the older 112 (i missed that earlier, i was in a rush for dinner). There's probably not that much difference, but you might as well have the newer one as it has the push-pull coil tap for the humbucker.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
on the 112, all the pickups and controls (tone, volume, pickup selector) are on the pickguard.

on the 112 v, the pickguard is shorter, the bridge humbucker and volume and tone controls aren't on the pickguard. also it has a coil split push-pull knob for a tone control.

if you don't understand what that means (i know you're new to playing) i can explain it a bit better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
on the 112, all the pickups and controls (tone, volume, pickup selector) are on the pickguard.

on the 112 v, the pickguard is shorter, the bridge humbucker and volume and tone controls aren't on the pickguard. also it has a coil split push-pull knob for a tone control.

if you don't understand what that means (i know you're new to playing) i can explain it a bit better.

yes please
ok, no problem.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_pacifica_112_blk.htm

there's a link to the old-style one- notice how the scratchplate (the big white plastic bit covering most of the front of the guitar) is quite big, it reaches down to the tremolo, and the tone and volume knobs are on it.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_pacifica_112v_ovs.htm

there's the newer one, notice how the scratchplate is a lot smaller, the tone and volume knobs aren't on the scratchplate, and the scratchplate doesn't reach to the bridge.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok let's say that i will buy pacifica and i have found 2 amp's
marshall mg15cd
or
yamaha 25w
price is same for both of them

which one is better
Last edited by DMocic at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
ok, no problem.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_pacifica_112_blk.htm

there's a link to the old-style one- notice how the scratchplate (the big white plastic bit covering most of the front of the guitar) is quite big, it reaches down to the tremolo, and the tone and volume knobs are on it.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_pacifica_112v_ovs.htm

there's the newer one, notice how the scratchplate is a lot smaller, the tone and volume knobs aren't on the scratchplate, and the scratchplate doesn't reach to the bridge.

thx man very mutch
EDIT: ^ no problem

the marshall is crap. i haven't tried the yamaha, but i suspect it's not great either.

i'd get a roland microcube instead, it'll let you get a wider range of tones, plus it can be run on batteries so if you ever need to carry it around, it's portable.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_micro_cube.htm

what types of music do you hope to mainly play? the cube tends to be more aimed towards heavier stuff like hard rock and metal. if you play more like classic rock, blues or indie, a vox da5 might be worth a try, it seems to be the same price on thomann. I haven't tried it unfortunately, but i've tried the bigger vox valvetronixes, and they're quite nice.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_da5.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_da5classic.htm (different colour)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 1, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
EDIT: ^ no problem

the marshall is crap. i haven't tried the yamaha, but i suspect it's not great either.

i'd get a roland microcube instead, it'll let you get a wider range of tones, plus it can be run on batteries so if you ever need to carry it around, it's portable.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_micro_cube.htm

what types of music do you hope to mainly play? the cube tends to be more aimed towards heavier stuff like hard rock and metal. if you play more like classic rock, blues or indie, a vox da5 might be worth a try, it seems to be the same price on thomann. I haven't tried it unfortunately, but i've tried the bigger vox valvetronixes, and they're quite nice.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_da5.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_da5classic.htm (different colour)

man i don't know how can i thank you i totally forgot about microcube i was trying to find marshall and he was to expensive but cube is cheaper than he
thx a lot i will now try to find cube on ebay

btw is 2w too weak?
it depends. if you're going to be jamming with friends, it probably is a bit weak (unless they have similarly small amps, or are willing to turn down a bit so that you can be heard too). if you're just practicing, it should be more than enough. i seem to remember seeing someone busking with the vox da5 which is 5 watts (he/she was the only guitarist though), and it was loud enough for that- the main problem would be if you were playing along with anyone else who had more powerful amps. when i tried the microcube in the shop, it was certainly loud enough for playing on your own, i had it less than halfway up and it was getting louder than i wanted it to be (as i'm self-conscious when i play in shops, haha).

the cube's better than the marshall too, if you ask me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it depends. if you're going to be jamming with friends, it probably is a bit weak (unless they have similarly small amps, or are willing to turn down a bit so that you can be heard too). if you're just practicing, it should be more than enough. i seem to remember seeing someone busking with the vox da5 which is 5 watts (he/she was the only guitarist though), and it was loud enough for that- the main problem would be if you were playing along with anyone else who had more powerful amps. when i tried the microcube in the shop, it was certainly loud enough for playing on your own, i had it less than halfway up and it was getting louder than i wanted it to be (as i'm self-conscious when i play in shops, haha).

the cube's better than the marshall too, if you ask me.

aha ok thx for big reply but it seems to me that i won't have enough money for cube so my choice is down to
marshall mg15cd
or
yamaha 25w

i'm little disappointed because none of them has effects like delay
Could you just get the guitar, practice without an amp for a month or so, and get a good (decent) amp when you have the money or for Christmas?
You'd be a lot happier that way, and it'd save you from upgrading so soon.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
maybe prices are different in croatia, but here in the UK, the microcube would be cheaper than the mg, i think...

if you HAVE to go for one of those two, i'd probably go for the MG, as because it has "marshall" on it, you'll probably find it easier to sell it on later (assuming it hasn't broken before then).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i haven't tried the grg... the problem is that any ibanez models with "g" in front tend to be the beginner instruments. the pacifica 112 is a beginner instrument too, but it's not one of the very lowest yamaha beginner instruments, and also it's well-known as one of the best starter instruments you can buy as it's good enough to upgrade later.

i guess what i'm trying to say is, unless you can try the ibanez and find that you prefer it, i'd probably go with the pacifica.

the grg does have a neck humbucker while the yamaha only has a single coil (neither is better, but the humbucker might be better for heavier styles), but the problem is that ibanez pickups on their cheaper models are generally not very good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 3