i wanna add a coiltap my PRS SE Custom. How much does it usually cost? and wats a push/pull pot? if i add a coiltap, will my humbuckers sound change when the coiltap is not "on".
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
you can "split" a 4 wire pup, buy swapping out one of your tone/vol pots with a pot that has extra lugs on it, a push/pull pot.

so you make sure your pickup has 4 wires, not 2.

and you buy a push/pull.

and look up different wiring schematics.

coil spliting mimics going from a full humbucker to more of a single coil sound.

you wont be able to tap the humbucker, but a split is good enough for additional tones.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Just like Jenny had said.

Provided your pickups are 4-wire, you know soldering basics, and can read a schematic (which isn't all that difficult), the push-pull pot itself will only run you maybe around $10USD.

A push/pull pot is like a volume/tone pot, with a switch built in. You pull on it to switch it to one setting, push it back to return it to it's original setting. It's like hiding a toggle switch in your volume/tone pot.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
With humbuckers you usually don't have coil tapping, but coil splitting. Coil tapping means 'switching off' some of the pickup's wire that is wound around the pole pieces which will give you a lower output, while coil splitting will switch off one of the two coils entirely, so you will get a sound that resembles a single coil while also reducing your pickup's output.

Usually only splitting is available for humbuckers because it is easier to do than tapping (I mean, it's easier and cheaper to produce a humbucker that uses splitting instead of one that uses tapping). Single coils can only be buit with tapping though, because it is not possible to split them.

You cannot coil split a humbucker if it is not wired to do so from the factory. Check how many wires it has, 2 wires mean you can't split it, 4 mean that you can. There are wiring diagrams for some of the bigger pickups producers (Duncan, Dimarzio mainly), though I have not seen diagrams for PRS pickups yet. I don't think your pickups will be splittable - mainly because there is not point for PRS to built splitable humbuckers and not use the splitting then.

Most replacement pups are splittable nowadays. You'll need a switch to control the splitting though. A push-pull pot can do this, as it is nothing but a pot combined with a switch. It's a good idea to get a push-pull (or better yet, a push-push) pot because you'll just replace one of your old pots with it and won't have to drill holes in your guitar's top to install a new switch.

EDIT: Meh, too late.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Oct 31, 2008,
^

+1 on quailman and jj1565. another option would be serial/parallel wiring, i think i prefer it to splits (which can sound a bit thin and weak, but they do sound slightly more like single coils than parallel wiring).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's a mistake in a lot of the replies in this thread. You can coil split a humbucker with only 2 wires. But it is a bit more complicated. You have to take the humbucker apart and cut the wire connecting the two coils together, then connect to more wire so they're long enough to reach your control cavity. I did if for my build. There's pics of them apart near the bottom of the 6th page.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
yeah, i realise that, just it's a lot of bother.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha, i'd rather buy a new pup.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah, that's my feeling too. depends how naturally-inclined you are to doing stuff like that, i guess. I'm useless at stuff like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd use a push pull pot and wire it for series parallel. Single coil tone with better output and noise rejection.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13